Sign in to follow this  
Neyuttad

Classic Battletech vs CAV

4 sections, 16 models... 10$ per CAV?.....oh god. Sorry, I'll wait until I graduate and get a good job first. :down: For now, I'll play with my 30 bucks lance.

For 70 bucks I can pick up a combine arms company from Neil at the Warstore (that's 16 models)

Remeber most of your vehicles are under 10 bucks and you get multiple models in a blister (the sabre comes with three and yes they are a good unit)

I've got a 3500 point Terran force that runs about $80 bucks. That is with five sections (actually four and a half). 18 models for roughly eighty bucks. You are thinking in terms of all CAVs. Generally, alot of you force would be filled out with vehicles.

Your $80 is still a lot more than than $30 needed to get you started in BTech. For me this has always been one of the downsides of CAV it is quite expensive as a game. Not as bad as warhammer type things a lot worse than DBA. But if we accept that CAV is best played with around 4 - 5 sections, building that force costs a fair chunk of change, factor in the rulebook and I doubt you will see much change out of 100 bucks. Yes you can play with smaller forces but at that point the lack of detail in the game etc will show through leading to a less interesting game. I know I could only play a few games of CAV at 4 on 4 or even 8 on 8 because the system really requires more. Just as warhammer would suck with only a single unit each. Battletech is aimed at 4 on 4 and thus has a very cheap start up cost.

As I said at the start, Chalk and Cheese. I will continue to play both and will enjoy doing so.

Stuart

Your $80 is still a lot more than than $30 needed to get you started in BTech. For me this has always been one of the downsides of CAV it is quite expensive as a game. Not as bad as warhammer type things a lot worse than DBA. But if we accept that CAV is best played with around 4 - 5 sections, building that force costs a fair chunk of change, factor in the rulebook and I doubt you will see much change out of 100 bucks. Yes you can play with smaller forces but at that point the lack of detail in the game etc will show through leading to a less interesting game. I know I could only play a few games of CAV at 4 on 4 or even 8 on 8 because the system really requires more. Just as warhammer would suck with only a single unit each. Battletech is aimed at 4 on 4 and thus has a very cheap start up cost.

As I said at the start, Chalk and Cheese. I will continue to play both and will enjoy doing so.

Stuart

Not to toot Reaper's horn here, but [toot] You can get started with a decent CAV force for the same $30 that buys you a decent CBT force. Then you upgrade monthly (Or however you get $$$) with 1 new CAV or 2(blisters) new vehicles (and 2 blisters of vehicles is 4-6 vehicles). for about $10-15.

You could never do this with the 40,000 game, as the initial $30 would barely buy 1 unit/section/squad. and $10-15 monthly wouldn't even buy 1 whole new unit/section/squad - it would buy 1/2 of one.

If you can get your hands on the starter box set, you get the rulebook, dice, and 4 CAVs for $50, a lot less than stuart said above. Then, you just flesh out over time . . .

With CBT, don't you spend the same $10-15 monthly on new figs anyway?

[/toot]

BTW - $10-15 monthly is for those with a modest budget, who work for a living and punch the-old timeclock. Some gamers, obviously, choose to spend more, others spend less. It's just an example anyway.

I am mystified as to how I can buy a CAV force for 30$ that 3 months later of playing with I won't be bored with. That is what I was getting at. I know people who own 4 mechs for CBT and that is it. CAV for me only works with several sections and having a few CAVs amongst those.

Stuart

BTW - $10-15 monthly is for those with a modest budget, who work for a living and punch the-old timeclock. Some gamers, obviously, choose to spend more, others spend less. It's just an example anyway.

That is a pretty modest budget. I spend around $100 a month on figures (though that's for everything: CBT, Reaper, Historicals, etc), and supplemented by whatever my fiancee bribes me with (so I'll go shopping with her!). Though this month I'm blowing my budget out of the water and plunking down $150 for a smackload of stuff (got a bonus at work).

Damon.

I am mystified as to how I can buy a CAV force for 30$ that 3 months later of playing with I won't be bored with. That is what I was getting at. I know people who own 4 mechs for CBT and that is it. CAV for me only works with several sections and having a few CAVs amongst those.

I'm in the simular camp whereas CAV only works for me with several sections. I can't imagine how anyone can hold interest to the same 4 CAVs game after game; at least with combined arms, you can find yourself using these CAVs in a wider variety of playing styles.

You want a decent game of CAV, you minimal investment might be 40 to 50 dollars for 4 CAVs, assuming you want to have something different than the starter set. Perhaps I don't like the look of the CAVs in the starter kit, I have to pay more to get what I want.....

20 dollars for Rulebook, then the JoR, then the next JoR; thats around 60 dollars

Now we're talking lets expand on the game a little, perhaps adding a section of tanks, 2 to a blister, each around 8-10 dollars. a section of infantry is nice, and perhaps APCs for them (also 2 to a blister, either I pick up a second blister of infantry or I have an extra APC)

Gunships are cool, a section of those for another 16-20 dollars.

Now thats a reasonable army. probably averaging up to 150 dollars assuming you don't go with the starter kit and buy the books that may or may not be obsolete within a year.

I haven't play enough CBT (tabletop) to comment, but everything here says, the rules were meant for smaller unit engagements, meaning Lance on Lance or Star or whatever. You go outside that and its all on you.

You can't possibly promote CAV on the grounds its a cheaper start up than CBT. really. The current rules scream COMBINED ARMS! and your gonna spend much more than 30 dollars to get a game that truly represents all the strengthes of CAV. If you do go with the starter set, your limited to pretty much, the same four CAVs everyone else who's bought a starter kit has, and on top of that, there is really not that many different CAVs to begin with.

Apart from miniatures, what else do you require for CAV?

I know BT all you need is 2d6...

Is CAV as simple as that?

Or is it more like the fistfull-of-dice gaming style of Warhammer? :unsure:

I've been glancing at CAV for a while now, and it has my interest.

The main advantage to CAV that I see is that I can play with 'soft' troops (I believe squishies is what they're being called) and they can be actually useful, as opposed to 'I roll 2d6, they're dead and didn't go anywheres'.

I also need to investigate on-board as well as off-board (or Orbital) artillery. Nothing says loving like a big freekin' gun.

--LSH

Stuart

my intent was not to suggest a $30 force forever - but rather as a starter set. CAV is meant to be combined arms, and adding in vehicles, tanks, gunships, squishies etc. is important, but not necessary to start.

CBT is a Mech game. CAV is a military Skirmish game. Cheese and Chalk.

The main advantage to CAV that I see is that I can play with 'soft' troops (I believe squishies is what they're being called) and they can be actually useful, as opposed to 'I roll 2d6, they're dead and didn't go anywheres'.

If you dislike the core infantry rules for CBT, you'd probably want to look at the Lvl3 (optional) infantry rules. Gives them more realistic deployments and better rules.

IIRC 2D6 is for infantry out in the open with no cover. If you get spanked that way, you deserve what you get.

Damon.

I have played both and "all in all" cav tips the balance because of the bloody heat-sinc and weapons capabilities...it is like when you have played any of the MW computer games ....if you over heat you are in serious deep crapola...it was and still is a very silly rule ...Cav has kicked that rule in the head ....if you have played earthsiege or starsiege..they are very much like Cav....then you have played a very similar ...computer version of Cav....yup they are considderd as as lesser version of MW....but a lot more interesting and fun to play....thats why i play it ..i still have CBT ...it's stuffed in the loft ...no minis just the books and some fluff... ::D:

I have played both and "all in all" cav tips the balance because of the bloody heat-sinc and weapons capabilities...it is like when you have played any of the MW computer games ....if you over heat you are in serious deep crapola...it was and still is a very silly rule ...Cav has kicked that rule in the head ....if you have played earthsiege or starsiege..they are very much like Cav....then you have played a very similar ...computer version of Cav....yup they are considderd as as lesser version of MW....but a lot more interesting and fun to play....thats why i play it ..i still have CBT ...it's stuffed in the loft ...no minis just the books and some fluff... ::D:

:wacko: