Howdy folks,

Been a while since I painted a metal mini. I cleaned it with soap and water, let it dry, and then primed it with Vallejo brush on black primer. If I touch the mini even lightly after it has dried the paint comes off. Anywhere there is a high point I touch the metal shows through.

What have I done wrong? Thanks

• Like 2
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you did well.

Did you properly shake the primer?

Is the primer old?

I would do it again and then seal it with a brush on sealer, let dry and paint over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not unusual for pointy tips or sharp edges to have paint rub off while you're working on it.  Try using a miniature figure holder or painting handle. A number of hobby shops online sell them and you can even find 3d files to make your own. Or use an old pill bottle or some other object that is comfortable to hold. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, TripleH said:

How long did you let it sit? 

Primer usually needs 24 hours to fully cure and adhere to the surface.

More like 3 days if you want it fully cured.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great feedback. I checked the left over primer in my wet palette and it looks like it separated (the second coat I put on did not separate), so I am going to assume I didn't mix it enough after not having used it for quite some time. 

3 hours ago, AuralEntropy said:

Thanks for all the great feedback. I checked the left over primer in my wet palette and it looks like it separated (the second coat I put on did not separate), so I am going to assume I didn't mix it enough after not having used it for quite some time. 

This may or may not have any bearing on what happened, but it could be that by putting it onto a wet palette and brushing it on that you got a bit too much water in it? Over the years of reading about it, Vallejo primer can sometimes be temperamental when it's thinned and brushed on. Could be part of the problem? Try keeping water out of the primer (other than a damp brush).

I know, the primer can get thinned down when priming with an airbrush, but one usually does multiple passes with the thinned primer in that case, which will build up a good layer; you don't have to worry about doing a second layer and having a physical brush mucking/peeling up the previous layer if it hasn't cured long enough.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That really sounds strange.  And all the suggestions above are worthwhile examining.

Primer issues are why I finally decided to only prime with Stynylrez, using an airbrush. I put on multiple very thin coats .  And let it dry for 24 hours -- or until there is absolutely no sense of tackiness.  Stynylrez has a very plastic feel and finish and can be a bit runny getting into the airbrush, but, when completely dry, has never given me an problem -- including on edges and corners.  I put my minis on a holder and never touch it with my fingers.

Time consuming, but my level of frustration with poor primer coats and redoing priming is gone.