ReaperCon 2021 Discussion

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Turns out, Hubby and I are going this year! SEE YOU THERE!

We can't wait to safely see everyone in-person this year!   ReaperCon 2021 LaborDay Weekend, September 2-5, 2021,  Denton, TX   https://youtu.be/WYJNkFYhkCI We hope to have the

Room booked, and vaccines scheduled for today and April 13th.  I want to be ready to teach in person again!  I guess I better start working on my classes.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Jon was saying yesterday on the discord that VIP might be 75 because they've added to it?  Any chance we could get confirmation yes or no before tomorrow?

I'm expecting it to be discussed tonight on Reaper Live.  6pm central time:  https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I expect I will probably just take a pass. I love RCon, mostly just for seeing everyone since I don't really  have any interest in entering the competition again, and I haven't taken classes in a few years. I agree that it is the responsible thing for Reaper to do. As we get closer to the event if things have improved and they open it up I may drive down for a day or two. I wish the rest of you well in getting tickets. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Forum Mascot
3 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Jon was saying yesterday on the discord that VIP might be 75 because they've added to it?  Any chance we could get confirmation yes or no before tomorrow?

AFAIK, which of course as illustrated is subject to change, yes the VIP will be $75.  Presumably tonight's live show will confirm, and it would be nice to also find out what's in the new upgraded package.  

• Like 5
  • Reaper User
17 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

@ReaperAHawk--How will swag work? I understand it'll be for sale on the website like it was for Reaper expo. What I'm wondering is can we pick it up at the con, or will it just get shipped out and it'll be waiting for me once I get home?

*as it stands right now*  All swag on reapermini.com will be shipped out prior to the show.  We will have some of these swag boxes for sale in our reaper booth onsite at the show. The admission tickets for RCon will have a bit a swag attached to it that you will get at registration onsite.... a regular 4-day pass will have a $25.00 gift card to use only at RCon - reaper booth, the VIP ticket will have the same gift card + a figure + meet and greet ticket and early access (48hrs) to classes.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
44 minutes ago, Loim said:

I expect I will probably just take a pass. I love RCon, mostly just for seeing everyone since I don't really  have any interest in entering the competition again, and I haven't taken classes in a few years. I agree that it is the responsible thing for Reaper to do. As we get closer to the event if things have improved and they open it up I may drive down for a day or two. I wish the rest of you well in getting tickets. 

:down::down::down:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
40 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Hmph, I'll be working all day tomorrow, and won't have time to camp for a ticket. Shame, as I live only 15 miles from the 'con.

I’m sure if you email them, they’ll make sure you get in bc you’re so close. 

• Like 2
  • Forum Mascot

While I cannot, of course, see into the future - people may be overestimating the immediate demand for Reapercon tickets, even with a limited number cap. 

If you consider that our best year so far, with everything working normally and smoothly, was just over 2000 attendees - and that this total also includes the single-day tickets from people just showing up, that's about twice this quota.  And the tickets bought in advance took some weeks to reach high numbers.  And that's with everything pretty much 100%.

This year, we can subtract a number of people from the total.  First being those who purchase single-day on site, since those are not presently a matter for the limited # of 1000.  Second, it's very likely a lot of international attendees will decide not to go since international travel is now significantly more complicated and for many just not worth the trouble.  We can also subtract some unknown quantity of attendees who have been economically hurt by Covid and RCon just isn't in their budget this year.  And finally, we can subtract the people who could go but will choose not to over health concerns, or long interstate travel, etc.  So all of these factors will mitigate against ticket sales.  

Is it possible that they'll go live and sell out fast?  I mean, yeah, theoretically.  But I don't think the math we know makes it especially likely.  Chances are much better that we won't even hit the 1,000 cap and we'll have a "dip year" where it's more like past Reapercons before growth really took off (somewhere ~700 would be my estimated expectation)

This is all, naturally, speculative prognostication on my part - but I don't think it's a huge worry that they're gonna sell out like it's the Big Four of Heavy Metal or something.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

@buglips*the*goblin All true, but considering how fast the hotel blocks sold out, I see the tickets selling at a brisk pace. 

As do I. I was surprised to hear the the initial hotel block went as fast as it did. I know people want to get back to normalcy & this is a part of it, but with health concerns & such. I guess we'll see.

I know for sure, I'll be at my computer before 11 mst tomorrow, barring any long shift at work tonight (which is a possibility with the idiot in charge of ordering these days.....<_<).

• Forum Mascot
Posted (edited)

The hotel block selling briskly is not necessarily indicative of total attendance, it's only indicative of people especially eager to stay on-site if they can (i.e. everybody).  If anyone wants, for their own peace of mind, to purchase tickets ASAP then by all means do so - but we have a number of people concerned they won't be able to get tickets at all.  We have no numbers to support that, and there's no reason to unduly stress people out over it by implying there's going to be a run on them.  So please don't do it.  

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
10 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

@buglips*the*goblin All true, but considering how fast the hotel blocks sold out, I see the tickets selling at a brisk pace. 

2 minutes ago, haldir said:

As do I. I was surprised to hear the the initial hotel block went as fast as it did.

Bear in mind the hotel has only 318 rooms in total and Reaper did not get all of them (I am venturing a guess of ~200 rooms)  so it is not unexpected that a con with an attendance of 1500+ would blow through that in short time.  Even if people tripled up in the rooms there would not be enough space at the Hilton for everyone. 

The La Quinta has 88 rooms. 

Fairfield Inn has 75 rooms

I expect the Best Western Plus has similar.

One hotel cannot support the con. FOUR hotels might just barely cover attendance. 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Bear in mind the hotel has only 318 rooms in total and Reaper did not get all of them (I am venturing a guess of ~200 rooms)  so it is not unexpected that a con with an attendance of 1500+ would blow through that in short time.  Even if people tripled up in the rooms there would not be enough space at the Hilton for everyone. 

The La Quinta has 88 rooms. 

Fairfield Inn has 75 rooms

I expect the Best Western Plus has similar.

One hotel cannot support the con. FOUR hotels might just barely cover attendance. 

65 rooms at best western plus, according to front desk. 

546 total rooms. 

so with mostly double occupancy - the four hotels can  serve this years limited tickets.

some locals of course 50-500?  no idea.  A local gaming con can attract a lot of people, who just want to come play D&D.

people from Dallas/FT would probably like rooms, depnding on their budgets. 

I wonder if cutting back the amount of gaming available would reduce attendance to something that fits the space better. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2
  • Members

Gaming players are definitely a large chunk of attendance too, which might also account for the on site sales because they don't really have a rush to grab classes and there are TONS of game slots available

• Like 4