Censorship on Reaperboard

Neyuttad

I belong to a board where the very presence of moderators (who never did any moderating except moving a thread when asked, if that) was held up to be a stifling presence that kept posters from expressing themselves as they wanted.

Ah you must be a member of the WOTC boards. I express my opinion on some of the material they were producing and within 5 minutes the thread was locked because they said I was being negative. Mind you, I never used any swear words and I provided ways they could improve their current ways of producing material.

I posted a couple of times to the Chainmail forums at WOTC but that's it. That does sound stifling. I'm talking about posters complaining that simply because mods exist it makes them "censor" themselves because mods have power over them (never mind that it's pretend internet power) and could censor them, even though they don't.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the site I moderate, there's TOO many smart-eleck kids who want to run amuck swearing and abusing one another, but as soon as a mod tries to defend a reasonable amount of order, the mod gets labeled a fascist.

Some punk joined a few weeks ago with a blatant swearword as their screen name. I politely asked her to change it. She sent me back a message saying "#%@$ you!" ... so I sent her one that said, "Nah.. you first.", deleted her account and IP-banned her.

Some people have a REAL misguided notion of what "free speech" entitles, and assume that a forum is a public venue where a member has the undeniable right to say whatever they want to say in whatever terms they want to say it.

Fact is, webforums are just like real-estate. This one is the property of Reaper Miniatures. They paid for the space that it occupies. They may have even paid for the software that powers it (I'm not familiar with Invision), and they pay Kit (at least as one of his responsibilities at Reaper) to oversee it. (and he does a fine job I might add).

Now why would a person expect any special freedom on a message board online that they'd not expect in another person's home or place of business? I guess it all boils down to the human-nature that makes it so much easier to be rude or vulgar when it's not an actual face-to-face encounter.

Very well put, Spike. But I also have seen a trend when people don't have to look you in the eye and take responcibility for their online actions.

It's a theory I've had for a while, but Penny-Arcade put it with much more eloquence.

*Warning* The link above contains words your grandmother will not like. clicking that link will rot your brain, curve your spine, and make the Allies loose the War.

--LSH

At least the filter distinguishes between the words and the letter combination within a word. Other filters I've seen would have changed shell to sheck.

You can set it to do that, kinda funny sometimes. :huh:

The other amusing one is setting it to censor every word into the same word. I think Frosch would enjoy that one with it set as "Ribbit". ::P:

Very well put, Spike. But I also have seen a trend when people don't have to look you in the eye and take responcibility for their online actions.

It's a theory I've had for a while, but Penny-Arcade put it with much more eloquence.

*Warning* The link above contains words your grandmother will not like. clicking that link will rot your brain, curve your spine, and make the Allies loose the War.

--LSH

As Scott Adams pointed out in Dilbert: "On the internet, everyone's a bully"

--LSH

That's pretty good, but the funniest thing in the cartoon is the little deal at the bottom that says '2+3=Cats'.

it's mainly cause the board is mostly a family oreintated board. Which I for one am glad. I'll type hel alot but don't care if it turns to heck. Nice to see that are some boards on the net that care about what get's posted.

Randy M

I totally agree. And one can always come up with quite strongly-worded phrases for The Sandbox purposes, using a little creativity.