Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Because of all the lockdowns I got a lot of painting done last year. This year, not so much. It's hard for me to see my brush skills vanish into nothing, and my projects keep dragging on for ever when I have only one or two days a month for painting.
But enough complaining!
I did get a few hours in and to take a break from my current projects I painted up this little diver. He's paying hommage to a diving spot in Italy that I really like. Nothing but sand and sea cucumbers (that's what the brown things on the base are supposed to be, thank you very much!😊). But crystal clear turquoise waters - shown here by the unconventional colour of the rim. For a more "underwatery" feel I glazed on a final filter of Surf Aqua. Note to self: Next time, use a paint with a little less white pigment for that effect!
Anyway, here he is, enjoy! C&c very welcome.
And remember: Sea cucumbers! Those brown things are sea cucumbers!
Got the first set of 5 done. I bought 5 Santas (one was in my bones 5), 4 Mrs. Claus, 4 Christmas mouselings. I'm preparing a holiday ornament and diorama for friends to give them.
Santa is now complete, but still need to get him on his base with Mrs. Claus.
I painted my first santa with a black primer. It took about 4 or 5 layers to get red to actually show and not look washed out. I just happened across a youtube video where Paintman Journeying was talking about how laying pink under red will help coverage and saturation. Was worth a try for how many red clothes characters i was about to do.
I then took all of them to base coat with airbrush. And not only that, it gave me a great way to go through more of the BCA pink i have 5 bottles of. Finally i can use it on more things! Warning for others: BCA pink has weird coverage. It's very very very very chalky. I hadn't noticed it on my small parts i use to paint it on like tongues or trinkets, but on big areas i really noticed.
The assembly like setup on these worked great. Painted in this order:
Coat, pants, hat first.
Santa's gift bag (different red) next.
Cream trims next.
Washes on face and bear.
Gloves, boots, and belt.
Packages and trim.
So far so good.
And another RVE leftover finished!
I painted the crystals during RVE during Erin Hartwell's crystal painting class and then decided to use them as a background for the little warlord skeleton I had lying around on my shelf. While I'm happy with the overall composition of this piece a few things went wrong:
The varnish on the crystals stayed tacky. While this is probably a user error on my part I'm not really happy with the overall performance of the translucent bones material (even when painting it) and I'll avoid it in the future (Bones USA looks very promising, though, and might actually be an alternative to pewter for me) I wanted to add interest to this little scene with some eerie water effects. I tried greenstuffworld's lime green water effect. To make it pop a bit more, I base coated the "deepest" part of the water with a mixture of white and MSP green goo. Turns out I greatly misjudged the opacity of the water effects and now I'm left with chalky spots beneath a somewhat unimpressive slime. Oh well, you live to learn!
All in all I learned a lot painting this up, but now it will go to the back of my vitrine. I do like the skeleton, though. 😇
C&c very welcome, as always!
Another leftover from RVE eventually finished!
The cloak was painted during Kevin Holderny's Galaxy Painting Class, now I finally managed to finish the rest.
Not too happy with the blending on the white fabric, also I've painted better eyes before. In general, however, I like how the mini came out.
For the orb on his stave I tried to paint a white opal. The finished product looks more like pearl to me but that's also ok. It's white-ish, shiny and mysterious, so I didn't completely miss the mark.
Enjoy, c&c very welcome!