Previews for Reaper's June releases just went up in the "Previews" section, and they're from the Bones 5 Kickstarter.  Granted, there's still April and May unaccounted for, but there are a number of large models from the Bones 4 Kickstarter that haven't been released at retail yet.  We already know they're suggesting that the Stygian Barge may never be released, but I'm hoping most of the rest will be.  By my count, all of these haven't hit the game stores yet:

Narglauth

Dragon Turtle

Agramon, Duke of Hell

Blacksting Wyvern

All of the Fantasy Scenics

Thunderfoot Behemoth

Blacktooth Terror

Dance of Death

Mossbeard Treeman

Skeletal Dragon

Nyarlathotep

Argent

Gauth

Am I missing anything?  Any word from Reaper about whether or not these will ever be available againt, outside of the Bones 4 Kickstarter?

Edited by booji
  • Like 7
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question.

One suggestion for Reaper: if retail selling of these kits is difficult, why don't launch a sort of Kickstarter "Bones hall of fame" to collect orders and produce a batch of these models on demand?

Moulds are already made, it would be a shame to not use them again.

• Like 9

Assuming there is some stock of these minis left over from the KS fulfilment, how about doing some sort of webstore only category or even a limited time event where they can be sold without retail packaging and outside of the normal release schedule, so that the many customers that are clamouring for these minis have a chance of getting them outside of auction-site black marketeer scalpers? Other major players do similar offers.  What arguments would exist against doing this at Reaper? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Maledrakh said:

Assuming there is some stock of these minis left over from the KS fulfilment, how about doing some sort of webstore only category or even a limited time event where they can be sold without retail packaging and outside of the normal release schedule, so that the many customers that are clamouring for these minis have a chance of getting them outside of auction-site black marketeer scalpers? Other major players do similar offers.  What arguments would exist against doing this at Reaper? 

They already do this, usually a couple of months after fulfilment finishes, they have to hold the stock back to guard against mispacks and casting issues so they have items to send for replacements, but once those settle down a few months later they usually will put bagged items up on the webstore.  I picked up Dance of Death this way.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Thanks 1

Man, some of these are what I was looking forward to most in Bones 4 store releases (I missed the KS, and was just lucky enough to get in on the Lost Valley expansion overstock orders).

Mossbeard, Thunderfoot, Blacktooth, Dragon Turtle, Argent, Nyarlathotep... was really looking forward to all of those, especially for my Chult campaign!

• Like 5

Have to wonder how much of the delay is due to packaging constraints?  As I recall it took a long time to get Goremaw out to retail just because the packaging was going to be SO big.  With a lot of these they won't fit in any of the existing blisters/packages, so you have to develop new packaging.  Then, how many can fit in a standard box to ship to retailers?  How much shelf/wall space are they going to eat up in a store?  Don't know about the others but the pieces for Argent are BIG!  Consequently any box with him in it is going to be pretty substantial. 

Seems as though Reaper could potentially get around some of that by making them Online exclusives sold as bagged kits, but I have no idea how many they would have to sell to recoup the costs of a production run.

• Like 3
On 4/14/2021 at 11:41 AM, Mckenna35 said:

Seems as though Reaper could potentially get around some of that by making them Online exclusives sold as bagged kits, but I have no idea how many they would have to sell to recoup the costs of a production run.

I feel like this is often the excuse for not bringing items to retail.  At the very least I wish they would offer them up as KS add-ons.  It'd guarantee a better production number than just dwelling on the website, if they're worried about that.  But it seems such a shame that so many fantastic models get scrapped or withheld due to packaging concerns.

• Like 6
21 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

I feel like this is often the excuse for not bringing items to retail.  At the very least I wish they would offer them up as KS add-ons.  It'd guarantee a better production number than just dwelling on the website, if they're worried about that.  But it seems such a shame that so many fantastic models get scrapped or withheld due to packaging concerns.

In reaper's case it's mostly only represented by delays getting them to Retail.  To the best of my knowledge, only two KS model have they ever said was not going to become a production model, one was Kalladrax, the other was a zombie dragon I can't seem to remember the name of, but in both cases it's because the models proved too big and not well engineered enough to make production. (kallie was just too dang big to be able to make, this was a mistake and not intentional but all the same.

I think I heard that the barge was looking unlikely, but can't remember for sure.

I've seen no statements on the models listed here that the wouldn't be.  I'm hoping some of those come out, I wasn't financially in a position to get anything in bones 4 and I've been anxiously waiting Argent and the Thunderfoot  Behemoth...

There are still Bones 4 releases coming out monthly from Reaper.  The Gazebo, Charon, Well of despair, and ghosts from this month were all KS4 models. True, it's been a while since one of the big ones came out, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some delays to release plans caused by last year.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Mod Reminder:  If you see suspicious activity that might be a bot, please REPORT IT.  Engaging in banter with the bot does not help us identify and remove them.  Smash that report button so we can investigate!

Sorry about that.  Was wondering how to notify a mod, and it didn't occur to me to search for a report button.  Also had started answering sincerely before I realized it was probably a bot.

• Like 2

No problem.  We've had a few sneaky bots or bot-adjacent spam come up, so it's a big help if people notify us if anything looks fishy.  If it is, we can deal with it and if it's not, then we can make that determination too.  Some of the attacks can be fairly clever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have the weapon sprues from Bones 3 ever been released? If not, those would also be on the list of "never to retail". While I ordered everything I want from Bones IV, it'd be a shame if so many great centerpiece models would be left out.

• Like 1