Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Presenting the Brewmistress, a Goblin Mage from Games Workshop, this diminutive herbalist can be found plying her trade along the winding road between Veilmouth and Silverton. For two coppers she'll let you take a swig of whatever she's brewing at the time, while her potions are always beneficial, it's probably best not to consider what's in it.
Despite getting a little lazy with the ingredients rack towards the end, I'm really pleased with how this one turned out.
As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
Finished and based them.
It's the weekend and you know what that means - lots of painting.
Got two little baddies here that are a nice departure from my Goblin Menace group I've been invested into. I'm sure one of these green baddies is yelling out a command to go attack something, but how fitting to say, "Pull my finger." Goblins humor.
* Tried priming this time with an all metallic spray. This was the Army Painter's Plate Mail primer. Worked pretty well considering how much ground I needed to cover with the metallic. Note that this did not have a tackiness to it like my little crab did with the Vallejo Leather primer. Strange?
* Taking a first run over the armor with Nuln Oil helped save a lot of time. I then went over some of the other areas of the plate with Vallejo Metal Gun Metal. Win!
* Tried doing a rusting look over the plate with Agrax Earthshade - win. Looked nice and grimey.
* Since these were already dirty, I figured why not add some damage to the plate and weapons. Added rust and blood effects to the weapons and it came out pretty good I think. Added some needed character.
* The "Pull my finger" goblin doesn't have really good clarity in the sculpt to get two eyes definined. It wasn't bad to only have the one, but would have preferred two eyes.
* The teeth look pretty bland. Used a white and yellow color mixed but it looked muddled. Tried to show separation with black line. Meh.
* Originally had their lower cloth as warlord purple, but it just didn't fit. Covered it with Gnoll Hide MSP, but even that looks kind of drab. I feel that was a good chance to pop up the colors, but fell flat.
* Used the Breast Cancer Pink again for the mouths. Still works well, but needed better definition for the rest of the mouth.
These look pretty decent. I'll have to come up with a fun base or story for these two. I also snagged the regular goblins, so coming up with something cool for all of them may be a good challenge to come.
As always - any areas you see for improvement?
More to come for this little dude.
Tried doing a couple things people suggested in my other projects. Mixed inks into paints, went thinner on paint and more layers, focused on less colors and more mixing.
Pretty happy so far.
Will be following up with damage report, but had to post.
Always good to have feedback if you see improvements.
Goblin Menace indeed! I was doing fine with the other group of goblins I did 2 weeks ago, but these little green bast...guys were not as fun.
* Found an EXCELLENT new paintbrush - Master's Touch from Hobby Lobby. Dang! I've been missing this level of spring in the bristles and fine edge with them. Love it.
* Tried diluting steel color with black ink to help with application. Worked great! Will do again.
* Switched the Sta-Wet Palette paper that came with it to just simple parchment paper. I don't know who uses the actual paper in the Sta-Wet Palette, but that stuff is terrible!
* Still using as much breast cancer awareness color pink (got like 4 bottles...need to use!)
* dry brushing the hair came out much better this time. Lighter touch and more layers - worked better.
* Eyes this time were more difficult. Tried doing those chibi eyes, but it wasn't as expressive this time.
* Tried a base color of off-white in the eye - also didn't seem to give as much character to them.
* Washed with Agrax Earthshade around the major bends and muscles. Didn't seem to work as well this time. I think it's time to try that black lining on the next goblin and see if Iike that instead.
* using the new brushes have a bit of a learning curve to them. Much more springy and reduced my need for pressure, however this caused some interesting streaks when I didn't mean to.
* I did it again! I tried using my finger to dab off an excess streak and ended up taking off some of the baselayer AND primer. With that being the second time it's happened - the best way I can describe what I did was the scene in Top Gun where the flight tower Captain gets a second fly-by.
Overall the color of Goblin skin still works great, but basecoat of VCG Flat Green may not have been best. May just add black to Goblin Skin and then lighten it up as I go next time.
Attempted different primers on them:
Girl with spear - primed in black with Vallejo Black spray primer
Chainmail goblin - primed in Vallejo Leather Brown spray primer (didn't like that as much...)
Stone chuckers - both of them were done in paint-on Vallejo grey primer. (worked best)
Overall, they aren't bad, but they aren't my best. Once I base them I'll feel better. Might even go back after a few days to touch them up to see if I can straighten out the things I missed.
As always - open to feedback. Thanks for the tips on the Metallics thread. I put it to use, but still learning.
Who's Online 14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)