Please help me find flies and spiders

I finally caved in and pulled the trigger on RoSD. :blush:

It gives me a really good excuse to get some more minis in spite of promising not to buy any more for, like, until my retirement. Since everything is rather small scale and you just need to paint a few minis at the time, this game also seems manageable for a slow painter like me. Finally I get to try my hand at painting minis I'm usually not too interested in.

For the first batch I have to paint up some flies, spiders and zombies.

Now, finding zombies is really easy. Reaper has a few really great sculpts which I gladly put on my shopping list.

Spiders? Not so much. While there are a lot of huge spiders, I'm looking for models that fit on a 32mm road base. Preferably in metal. I found just one model at reaper - the terrantula of the savage worlds line. I like some variations, though, especially since this game allows for a lot of variety. Any ideas for more "little" giant spiders? Must fit on 32mm round base (max 40mm), preferably metal, but I'm willing to go for plastic, if there is no other way. No 3D-printer files, though.

Giant flies are even harder to find. So far I have found a mosquito-wasp-thingy at heresy miniatures. Are there any more small giant flies out there? The reaper fly demon is way too big, unfortunately.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 3

Reaper actually has a couple of different spiders that might work...

Bones: https://www.reapermini.com/search/vermin/latest/77126

They're plastic, but the width of their legs takes up a full 25mm base... (I once used one to make a gnome into a drider...)

02593 Familiar Pack III has a spider, but it's maybe a bit smalle rthan you're looking for...

https://www.reapermini.com/search/spider/latest/02593

02784 Giant Spider and Victims might be a bit on the large side but should work...

https://www.reapermini.com/search/spider/latest/02784

Flies are tough... I'll second (third, whatever) the suggestion to look up toy flies on Amazon...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depending upon just how big you want, looking at halloween decor/party favors might be a better option if you want a pile of spiders. They tend to be rather cheap and several are rather good with some paint.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just was curious if you go to Big River Site & search for "fly toys", one of the items that comes up is this:

LovesTown Fake Flies, 50 Pcs 0.6"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

North Star carries the official RoSD line. There are official flies. Mine are just Halloween scene setters. Try also looking for "stirges".

I also suggest Stirges as an alternative that works well for Giant Flies.

The Gellerpox from Warhammer 40k Kill Team: Rogue Trader have some oddball vermin I plan on using:

No photo description available.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I love those models but I just can't seem to find them at a reasonable price. 

PS: love those yellow-orange eyes!

Thanks!

Wow, looking, they have really shot up in price as "singles"

• Like 2

I used the Reaper Bones Fly Demon for giant flies. 

Most of my spiders are Reaper Bones. I haven't finished them but also got some of the spider swarms from Reaper which would work for some variety.

I also got a single sprue of the Wargames Atlantic spiders. That sprue includes two victims in webs, and some smaller and larger spiders (larger ones not made/pictured). 

Bones 5 is going to have a diorama in it with several spiders, victims, terrain and a halfling paladin. No idea when that will come out though. 

20210313_082413.jpg

20210313_082444.jpg

20210313_082304.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! There were a lot of great ideas!

I didn't know there was an official RoSD-Line with flies. Those are cute. And I really love this Gellerpox Vermin - but after checking prices on ebay, maybe I'll refrain. Looking for " Stirges" was another good hint! Those little fliers are a perfect stand-in.

Also, thanks for all the spider pics, it helped me a lot to see some size comparisons!

Allright, I'll place some orders now at my FLGS (Nolzur and North Star), Otherworld Minis (for some lovely gnolls) and, of course, Reaper (best zombies, great ogres and a bit of other stuff). and then I'll see if there are still some lasting effects from my speed painting class at RVE! :lol:

And then I'm all set for Part one! Yay!

• Like 6

I'm late to the discussion but I'd like to second @haldir and @SotF suggestions of cheap toys/Halloween party favors. That is the route I went when planning to make the complete Ghost Archipelago bestiary.

For large spiders I found novelty rings don't look too bad and it costs practically nothing to make a ton. A dollar got me nearly forty of them.

20210315_093816.thumb.jpg.1bbc1cb689d0da08b150b26dad72c1b4.jpg

Giant spiders were a little pricier. These were a whole dollar apiece.

20210315_094255.thumb.jpg.bc8cc7217478736794c41d45497eacfb.jpg

For flies I went the same way as the spiders but I can't seem to find them now.

My advice though is to just start playing using what you have. My campaign has been proxied the whole way and though it would look nicer with fully painted appropriate models I wouldn't have been able to start until much later. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1