How to thin reaper paints to be more like the clear colors?

Hendo

I enjoyed the class in RVE on creating a starfield cape with Clear Blue/Magenta/Purple. I would like to experiment with star fields of other colors but am having a hard time getting the paints thin enough to be like the clear colors. Does anyone have recommendations on how to make other colors appear to go on like clears?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The clears are highly pigmented so that they can be thinned like that. They also have only the single pigment in them, no white or black so they keep that clear effect and don't go muddy or chalky when thinned. Most other colors won't act the same way. 

Reaper also has a brights triad (red, yellow, and green) #9732.  There was also a limited release Clear Brights: Orange, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green released in 2019, but it is out of production. You might come across those somewhere. 

You might get by using an extender, like acrylic medium or glaze medium sold by many hobby stores. This allows you to thin the paint without it getting watery. 

• Like 2

Basically, it mostly comes down to the paints you choose, not to how much you thin it. The different colours of paint are caused by using different pigments, and not all pigments are created equal. Some pigments are more opaque than others, that means, some pigments have better coverage than others. 

The galaxy effect takes advantage of those pigment properties by using more transparent paints. You stipple white on the black"ish" base coat. In the second step, you cover with the colours. The white parts show up, because they get tinted by the transparent paint, the black part stays (mostly) black, because the transparent paint is not strong enough to cover the dark base coat. (I also took that class and had a lot of fun, it's a great technique to use!)

Now, if you thin your paints too much, they won't tint the white parts enough. So while thinning with medium or water is of course possible, this will lessen the intensity of the colours. So the most important thing is to choose the right paints for colouring your galaxy.

You want a paint that is transparent, but vibrant. The "clear" paint line is the easiest way to go, but it is by no way mandatory ("clear" paints are not thinner than "normal" paints, as Inarah already explained). Yellows, reds and some blues and purples often use a more translucent pigment, so start your search there. Do you have a vibrant paint you struggle to use in a base coat? That's a good candidate right there!

You want to stay away from paints with a lot of white pigments in it. Flesh tone or pastel colours are a good example of this, as are beige or khaki. You have a paint that coats well in your first attempt? Probably you don't want to use it for this technique.

You can experiment on a sheet of paper. Paint a strong dark line with the paint you use for the cloak. Then, grab some paints you like and paint crossing lines over your dark line. Choose the paints that look vibrant on the white paper but don't cover the black line too well where they cross, and then it should work out well.

Hope that makes sense, if not, just ask and I will try to explain better....

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. I have been experimenting with Liquitex Glazing Medium in a roughly 3:1 ratio with Reaper Naga Green and Fireball Orange. I like the results (will posts photos when I get it a little more finished). The effect does seem similar to the Reaper Clear paints, though slightly more opaque. I will experiment more with the ratio and a few more colors.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ferret said:

I have on occasion used Golden High Flow Transparent colors for similar effects and they seemed to do well.  However, the color range is small.  

Other companies label their high flow paint as acrylic ink. From there you can check the label to see if it's rated as transparent.