Jump to content

Starfinder: Attack of the Swarm (Fate of the Fifth) AP pbp


haldir
 Share

Recommended Posts

Vitharyan studied the Major as he spoke, Jaldamarrak was something of a legend around camp.  One of the reasons that he disobeyed his father, and enlisted in the SDF.  If this vesk was telling them it was bad, it was bad.  

 

As he layer out the mission parameters, and his new ysoki squad mate spoke up he could barely hold down a snarl.  "Standard night recon, Maus.  Grab your rated winter gear, turn on your enviro protections and keep the radio chatter to a minimum."  He turned his attention back to the Major, "I'm assuming topographical, and forecasts will be tight beamed to our suits HUD, but rules of engagement, sir?  Is this a combat mission, or an exercise in night maneuvers?"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

   It is rare that Gustav feels an immediate distrust and dislike of a superior such as he does now.  Gustav had fought hard and lost some respected comrades in the Battle of Stone Sea when the Fifth checked the overwhelming swarm long enough for the SDF to mobilize.  Now this horse’s rear says the Fifth got caught with their spacesuits around there ankles! Of course, he  claims will make things right because he knows more than everyone in the SDF.

  His history and awards shows he is an exceptional fighter but he seems too self centered to be a good leader or one that can be trusted.

 

( Gustav will closely observe the Major for signs that he may not be presenting an accurate picture of the upcoming mission.
Sense Motive roll if appropriate is 12+10 =22)

Edited by ferret
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2021 at 2:42 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Ra'astar bows his head respectfully before replying;

 

"Master, er, I mean Major Jaldamarrak, is there anything in particular that we should be on the lookout for, or is it just Swarm activity in general.  And perhaps if we are to be patrolling while the sun is down, we should requisition some sort of night vision.  Those of us without the genetic disposition for it, that is."  he finishes with a glance at his Yosoki and Vesk team mates.

 

“Hopefully, nothing. But if you spot any evidence of creatures not native to Suskillon, report back immediately. I will send word, to the supply depot & you can have your night vision, thou unfortunately due to our limited resources, your gonna need to pay for it.”

 

On 3/23/2021 at 2:49 PM, Kangaroorex said:

Ratticus looks a little twitchy:

 

"outside?  its a little cold out there... surely there is somewhere warm where i can take things apart..."  he looks at the general nose and wiskers twiching hopefully....

 

"The planet is in one of it's Dead Winters, a time of extended extreme cold weather here in the southern hemisphere. Get use it, now!" He says to Ratticus.

 

"Your armor should help keep you warm, as long as you have power."

 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, ferret said:

Gustav. Comes to attention before addressing his new commanding officer.

 

" Sir, may we look at the relevant Intel reports and any aerial recon photos or maps of the Delta Escarpment.  It might help us prepare if we know as much as possible about what we are likely to encounter while patrolling the area."

 

"Unfortunately, our aerial recon is limited right now. The last Swarm attacks took down quite a few drones & the ones that they didn't well, the engineers are trying to get them back in the air. We do have 1 "ES34-6" in the air, but with the Swarm pulling back this past week, there really isn't much to go on at the moment. I do want the team out there tonight, so you won't have too much time, to look into it."

 

""I can let someone know in surveillance, you'd like to take a look at them, if you think it might help. Hopefully thou, the night patrol warrants nothing & this is just a precautionary motive. Hell, maybe even provide proof that Swarm are actually pulling back. I doubt it, but who knows with the Swarm."

 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:31 PM, Corsair said:

Doc draws himself up to his full 4' height and asks "Sir, as a Doctor, can I requisition some extra Heating balms and supplies from the Medical Stores?"

 

"That all depends on how our current supplies are. Currently, everything is getting low or out, like I said to the Kasatha, your gonna need to pay em. The Swarm has put a major hit in our resources right at this moment. Damn, Dredgers."

 

He looks at you for a sec,

 

"Dredgers, nasty beasts, they appear to be some sorta new Swarm mutation, troop, component, whatever. They'll burrow right under yer feet, suck you into the ground with their barbed jaws & then feast on you in a matter of seconds. They are about the size of khefak, but meaner. Fortunately, they appear to be a scouting unit, not like the grunt fighters like the Corrovox or even Vorphoma."

 

"Thou, like every other Swarm component, put enough rounds in them, they'll die & that is what counts! My kill count is 112 since joining the war, thou it seems you take one out & two more appear to take the dead one's place. A insect-hydra so to speak. It may sound like I'm boasting & I wish it was, but the Swarm are that deadly, even more so fer new bloods, like yerselves!"

 

With that he lights up a cigar & take a long drag from it.

 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:13 AM, Kangaroorex said:

Ratticus pipes up: "Well if you want me to be good at it there needs to be a lot of reconning and very little of the engagement.  I'm good at fixing stuff and breaking stuff, not so good at breaking people."

 

"Well, I'm expecting everyone to pull their weight in case a firefight breaks out, but of course we all have our specialties, mine is I take care of things with a loaded weapon, yours is fixing stuff for your team. Remember that." 

 

On 3/23/2021 at 6:36 PM, Zero Prime said:

Vitharyan studied the Major as he spoke, Jaldamarrak was something of a legend around camp.  One of the reasons that he disobeyed his father, and enlisted in the SDF.  If this vesk was telling them it was bad, it was bad.  

 

As he layer out the mission parameters, and his new ysoki squad mate spoke up he could barely hold down a snarl.  "Standard night recon, Maus.  Grab your rated winter gear, turn on your enviro protections and keep the radio chatter to a minimum."  He turned his attention back to the Major, "I'm assuming topographical, and forecasts will be tight beamed to our suits HUD, but rules of engagement, sir?  Is this a combat mission, or an exercise in night maneuvers?"

 

"Yes, it seems simple but right now with this lull in action, I want to be extra prepared for the next attack. Again, I'm not buying anything intel is saying about a pull out. Swarm don't retreat! Everything for the misson will be provided before you leave tonight."


He takes anther drag of the cigar.

 

"Scouting mission, soldier. As I said, if you find anything not native to this planet, report back to me immediately!"

 

49 minutes ago, ferret said:

   It is rare that Gustav feels an immediate distrust and dislike of a superior such as he does now.  Gustav had fought hard and lost some respected comrades in the Battle of Stone Sea when the Fifth checked the overwhelming swarm long enough for the SDF to mobilize.  Now this horse’s rear says the Fifth got caught with their spacesuits around there ankles! Of course, he  claims will make things right because he knows more than everyone in the SDF.

  His history and awards shows he is an exceptional fighter but he seems too self centered to be a good leader or one that can be trusted.

 

( Gustav will closely observe the Major for signs that he may not be presenting an accurate picture of the upcoming mission. Detect motive roll if appropriate is 12+10 =22)

 

(this is to Vitharyan & to Gustav, or anyone else)

 

“The signs aren’t good. But that doesn’t mean we’re finished. If you complete your patrols and report any and all pertinent intelligence back to me, I will make sure high command knows what us troopers are facing here on the ground. Hopefully, we can show them what we are actually facing here, planetside.”

 

(Also, Gustav does feel like the Major is holding something back, give me a Diplomacy Check)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Diplomacy check 2+1= 3 ( Gustav is not at all diplomatic🙁)

 

  Gustav tries to keep a blank face in spite of his shock at hearing the Major tell Doc Oward troops will have to pay for supplies needed to treat combat wounds. Unheard of and contrary to SDF supply regs! Gustav can’t help but wonder where the credits being charged troops for items from SDF stocks are going. He suspects they aren’t going back to SDF, but those cigars are probably expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maus' comments annoyed the red scaled vesk, the yoski was talking as though he were some celebrity to be catered to.  He'd volunteered to assist the SDF, in the same manner as many of those here, and he'd need to abide by the rules and regs, same as the rest of the grunts.  He was starting to get worried about the cohesion of the team.  However, he listened carefully, and nodded as the Major spoke, voicing concerns he, himself, felt as well.  He noted Gustav's stoney glare at Jaldamarrak, as well Doctor Oward's crestfallen frown as their commander explained the reality of the situation to the telian. 

 

As a moment presented itself, he turned around to look at his broad shelled companion.  "Civilian black markets have destroyed the economy after the invasion, supplies are hard to get, volunteers fall under 'civilian contractors' so the SDF budget can stay focused on rebuilding the 5th.  Until the politicians can pull their heads out of their asses, we're stuck with broccoli all for resources.  If it helps, I'll transfer my last credit to get you the UPB's you need."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The grey Yoski pipes up, looking to the rest of the party.  I can understand you all question my softer lifestyle or desire my comforts, but keep this in mind, I came here from that comfort and ease to help.  I can slip into placed you can't and I can make sure what you hold between you and the hoard stays whole.

 

You will need us, the civilians and the volunteers, to ensure we drive the menace of the hoard from this world.  We will work together and we will do the impossible.  It will not be easy and the cost will be great but we will succeed and you and all of us shall be a part of it!

 

And as for our superiors, I suspect we are not being told all, either to protect us or to not scare us.  But it would be so much easier if we had all the information before us.  I will not be frightened and I don't think any of my company are so weak as to run.

 

Diplomacy is a 19 on the die - OOC: I had to give some sort of speech!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Major Jaldamarak can tell some of you are on to something, he sighs a bit before continuing on,

 

"“I’ve been in a lot of battles in my time, and I’ve seen what the Swarm can do. It’s not a matter of if this planet is going to fall, but how many Swarm we can kill before they eat us alive. Do you understand me, soldier?”

 

With that he stands up straight & looks everyone in the eyes,

 

"If there is nothing else, then take the time before your mission tonight to rest up & enjoy yourselves a bit, cause who know when that time may come again. The night patrol will be 13 hrs, so I'd advise to get some sleep before then. I will send word down to the supply locker, hopefully they have some of the things you've request. I'll make sure that if they do, they set them aside for you."

 

He does recommend everyone has in their supplies, a light source, warmth & possibly something to keep you awake, in case some of you are drifters (ie eyes shut, sleepy time). He also says, if you have acid ammo, get rid of it & get something that'll actually kill the Swarm...(common knowledge, all Swarm are immune to acid).

 

(If there is nothing else he will salute everyone & dismiss you. You have till about 2000 hrs tonight, (around 12 hrs, as it's around 10 am now) to yourselves.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(forgot the sense motive: (16-1=15))

 

before the major can leave, Ratticus steps up on a chair to look the major in the eye. "So what's your end game major?  are you just going to leave the planet to them, evacuate what you can and run?  Are you planning on scorching the planet when its overrun?" His whiskers twitch in annoyance, "they have been stopped before and the alliance has fought them successfully before, and somewhere out there, is an answer that gives them back their minds." he looks sad for a moment and then gathers himself back up "So what's the goal MAJOR? are we just fighting a holding action or do you have a plan to throw that nightmare off the planet?"

(18+1=19 to intimidate if that works) Ratticus stands his ground against the bigger vesk, fists on hips, waiting for his response.

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

(forgot the sense motive: (16-1=15))

 

before the major can leave, Ratticus steps up on a chair to look the major in the eye. "So what's your end game major?  are you just going to leave the planet to them, evacuate what you can and run?  Are you planning on scorching the planet when its overrun?" His whiskers twitch in annoyance, "they have been stopped before and the alliance has fought them successfully before, and somewhere out there, is an answer that gives them back their minds." he looks sad for a moment and then gathers himself back up "So what's the goal MAJOR? are we just fighting a holding action or do you have a plan to throw that nightmare off the planet?"

(18+1=19 to intimidate if that works) Ratticus stands his ground against the bigger vesk, fists on hips, waiting for his response.

 

Major Jaldamarak sets the cigar down in a ashtray, rights himself up. "I like your attitude, Ysoki. It will do you well in this war." He leans against his desk & continues, "I will not leave this planet to them, I just know that the endgame is the Swarm will always take what they have set their sights on. We can only delay them for the time being. They were too strong for Veskarium, which brought us to an alliance with the Pact World & together, we were able to drive them back. Suskillion is a different situation. We are on our own here, no Pact World, no Empire. Only the people that is on this planet will fight this fight."

 

"I for one will not go down without a fight. I have not fought them this long to lay down & let them have their way with me. I will not lay down & let them have the people that can't fight back. I will not lay down & let them have the resources of this planet to add their ever-growing Empire & I'm sure as the Nine Hells will not let them just take the planet without a fight that if it drains me everything that flows in my body!" 

 

He pauses before finishing with

 

"I am just a soldier, my hands are tied. I report what I see to my superiors. I do hold back my feelings to them, which does me good & as this whole battalion as well. If I were to report that we are just fighting a losing war, it would just hamper what we've achieved, which really isn't much, but it gives common soldiers a bit of hope."

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ratticus looks round the room. 'I don't know about you guys but I think a trip to supply to see what is lying around could be fun!  Then off to find out what passes for food around here and then take the big vesk up on his suggestion and find a warm nest to bed down in'   Je hops off the chair and heads to the door snapping up any remaining food or healing serum that Goes unclaimed.  'Anybody else coming?'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vitharyan nodded, moving his great bulk with purpose, he staked out of the Major's tents.  Once outside, as the ysoki spoke up, the vesk moved with rapid, and furious aggression.  Placing a clawed hand on the small figures shoulders, he crouched down, his jaws less than an inch from Maus' throat, "We are a squad, civilian, the next time you have issue with a commanding officer, speak to Gustav or myself about it, you know *actual* soldiers, before you go and accuse a goddamn war hero of cowardice!"  He voice was a low rasp, his lips curled up in a snarl, "A Major doesn't set policy, that's the five star's and the goddamn Presidential Council!  If you want to contribute to this unit, you have to understand that your actions reflect on us all!  No grandstanding because your civilian sensibilities are hurt, this is a goddamn army, and you're going to bleed the same blood, in the same mud as the rest of us.  I don't care who you are, or what you did before.  I need you to man the hell up and be a soldier now!" 

 

He stood up and walked towards the mess tent, but before he left, his head snapped around, "This isn't some bullbroccoli stream for views, this is *my* planet, *my* home, *my* family we're fighting for!"  There was raw anger in his voice, but something underneath it too, fear.  "And if you broccoli it up, the Swarm will be the last thing you need to worry about."

Edited by Zero Prime
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gustav can't help but admire how smoothly Major Jaldamarrak shifts from " I know more than all the Generals" to "I am just a soldier" when confronted by Ratticus. Something is amiss, but Gustav realizes the need to prepare for the patrol and suppresses his detective urge to investigate --- for now.


    "" Ratticus, Don't let that hero worshiping Vesk get to you. 

     Count me in on the trip to supply!  I'm a fan of your blog and would love to see you work in person.  In fact, I've had a little training in engineering and computers and have my own tool kits, so it would be an honor to aid you if you find something in the scrap pile to fix up.


   After that I will stop by S2 to look over any Intel reports and use one of their terminals to look up geological surveys of the Delta Escarpment..  I will try to be quick so I can catch up to you at the mess tent."


(I assume a computer skill check isn't required to search for geological surveys since they are probably available to the public.  If he finds the surveys, Gustav will note areas where rock formations are on or very close to the surface since he suspects he may soon have an urgent need to recall that information.)
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zero Prime said:

Vitharyan nodded, moving his great bulk with purpose, he staked out of the Major's tents.  Once outside, as the ysoki spoke up, the vesk moved with rapid, and furious aggression.  Placing a clawed hand on the small figures shoulders, he crouched down, his jaws less than an inch from Maus' throat, "We are a squad, civilian, the next time you have issue with a commanding officer, speak to Gustav or myself about it, you know *actual* soldiers, before you go and accuse a goddamn war hero of cowardice!"  He voice was a low rasp, his lips curled up in a snarl, "A Major doesn't set policy, that's the five star's and the goddamn Presidential Council!  If you want to contribute to this unit, you have to understand that your actions reflect on us all!  No grandstanding because your civilian sensibilities are hurt, this is a goddamn army, and you're going to bleed the same blood, in the same mud as the rest of us.  I don't care who you are, or what you did before.  I need you to man the hell up and be a soldier now!" 

 

He stood up and walked towards the mess tent, but before he left, his head snapped around, "This isn't some bullbroccoli stream for views, this is *my* planet, *my* home, *my* family we're fighting for!"  There was raw anger in his voice, but something underneath it too, fear.  "And if you broccoli it up, the Swarm will be the last thing you need to worry about."

Ratticus waits patiently for the lizard to wind down.  when the lizard finally moves.  to where he can see his face, he nods to a small drone with a shiny red pointer showing on the Vesk's throat. Softly, almost kindly he sighs. "Never let your zeal overcome your ability.  Its a good way to get yourself killed.  I will continue to ask questions and ensure I have all the information I need to make sure I win the war rather than die heroically on the field.  Your Major has already written your precious home off and is planning to run.  If you want to save your planet, I would concentrate on working with the people who are trying to save it rather than the person with a pip on his collar."  he brushes down his worksuit and looks over, whistling at his drone which scurries back into the shadows "Now again, are you going to join me on a trip to supply and dinner, or do you have other companions to threaten?" he smiles and offers a small bow indicating that the bigger vesk should lead the way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By Darcstaar
      Hi people.
      Im going to start another PBP.  So far I have interest from @ShadowRaven, @dwarvenranger, @Dilvish the Deliverer, and @Kangaroorex.
       
      We’re going to start the Serpent’s Skull adventure path.  Pathfinder 1e.
       
      All books are in play, but I reserve the right to veto something if it seems too gross/bloated.
       
      Please utilize the Serpent’s Skull Players Guide from the Paizo website.
       
      Abilities: 4d6, reroll all 1’s, drop lowest score, yielding ranges from 2-18 pre mods.
       
      Avg. Starting gold.
       
      We’ll follow the AP leveling track when possible.
       
      We’ll have individual initiative.
       
      I hope to get this started soon, so please post those characters.

      -edits-
      House Rules
      1. HP beyond first level.  Roll the hit die.  If the roll is less than”avg” then take avg instead.  Example: Wizard d6.  Rolls a 1.  Gets 4hp instead, before Con mod.
      2. Acrobatics can be used to avoid AOO when standing from prone.
      3. If someone is not responding and action is waiting for them, I’ll send a pm after 24 hours.  If no response 24 hours later, I’ll take over that character to get action rolling again.
    • By Darcstaar
      Part 1 of the Serpent’s Skull Adventure Path.  By James Jacobs, (c) 2010.
      Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
    • By Darcstaar
      Copyright 2012 Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
       

       

      You can decide if you know each other before the start of the adventure, or are all randomly passing through this small rural town on your way to or from Korvosa.
      You have heard rumor that a carnival passes through this town, and have come to investigate and have some fun.
      As you mill about the carnival grounds, you can sample delicious food from vendors, view exotic sights or shows, and participate in games of skill and chance.
       
      Let me know what types of things you are interested in, and if/how you know each other.
    • By Darcstaar
      Hi everyone.
      In light of additional free time, I'd like to start another PBP.
      Maybe I'll be able to get prior ones going again, if people are interested.
      We'll be doing Murder's Mark.  A Pathfinder Module for four 1st level characters.
       
      From www.paizo.com
      An urban mystery adventure for 1st-level characters.
      Everyone in the fishing town of Ilsurian is excited when the legendary Umbra Carnival rolls into town—even if the show is run by members of the much-maligned Varisian ethnic group. With strange and exotic beasts, scandalous performances, games of chance, and all the other fun of a traveling fair, who could resist such an opportunity for entertainment?
      Unfortunately for both the town and the circus, however, entertainment isn’t the only opportunity the carnival presents. 
       
       Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide are OK.
       
      Character Generation:
      Attributes: 4d6, reroll all 1's, drop lowest die.  This will yield attribute rolls of 6-18.
      Average Starting Gold for class.
      Alignments: LG, NG, CG, LN, TN.
       
      The hope would be that once we finish this one, we'll be able to start another with the same characters...
    • By Maglok
      I painted this dude up as my technomancer for our Starfinder campaign. The idea is his coat is very tech-ey. I used a Bones Chronoscope miniature and modded in some antenna. Also slightly purple skin, cause this is a Lashunta.
       
         
×
×
  • Create New...