Jump to content

Starfinder: Attack of the Swarm (Fate of the Fifth) AP pbp


haldir
 Share

Recommended Posts

The vesk laughed, "The Major refused promotions to stay in the field, so you need to stop pulling broccoli from your broccoli."  He looked to the drone and snarled, "This was a courtesy, if you were my target, you,  or your toy, wouldn't even see me coming."

 

As the ysoki waited for him to lead him to the mess tents he shrugged, "If you're not kitted out as of yet, you're a liability in the field.  We're done here, Maus."

 

With his piece said the Vesk moved towards the firing range to blow off some steam.  The off worlder had gotten under his skin with his ignorance of tradition, duty and honor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ferret said:

Gustav can't help but admire how smoothly Major Jaldamarrak shifts from " I know more than all the Generals" to "I am just a soldier" when confronted by Ratticus. Something is amiss, but Gustav realizes the need to prepare for the patrol and suppresses his detective urge to investigate --- for now.


    "" Ratticus, Don't let that hero worshiping Vesk get to you. 

 

     Count me in on the trip to supply!  I'm a fan of your blog and would love to see you work in person.  In fact, I've had a little training in engineering and computers and have my own tool kits, so it would be an honor to aid you if you find something in the scrap pile to fix up.


   After that I will stop by S2 to look over any Intel reports and use one of their terminals to look up geological surveys of the Delta Escarpment..  I will try to be quick so I can catch up to you at the mess tent."


(I assume a computer skill check isn't required to search for geological surveys since they are probably available to the public.  If he finds the surveys, Gustav will note areas where rock formations are on or very close to the surface since he suspects he may soon have an urgent need to recall that information.)
 

 

after the Vesk stomps off, Ratticus sighs, "thanks Gustav, the big guys feel they have to protect rank over thought.  Besides, its his home, he's frightened and he's looking for someone to lash out at.  I have worked with he big guys before and they're a lot of noise but they come through in the end." he whistles softly and the little drone scurries over and hops up on his shoulder.  "If you are headed to somewhere with data access, I would love to join you, I do my best work when I am fully informed,  Unfortunately, our 'leader' seems to think should only have a limited data set and I would love to correct that!" 

 

So shall we see what we can scrounge, equipment and data both?" and he smiles and nibbles on a coarse ration bar. "these arent the tastiest but they keep the body fed and do a pretty good job wearing down the incisors."  Then he laughs and indicates that Gustav should lead the way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ferret said:

Gustav can't help but admire how smoothly Major Jaldamarrak shifts from " I know more than all the Generals" to "I am just a soldier" when confronted by Ratticus. Something is amiss, but Gustav realizes the need to prepare for the patrol and suppresses his detective urge to investigate --- for now.


    "" Ratticus, Don't let that hero worshiping Vesk get to you. 

 

     Count me in on the trip to supply!  I'm a fan of your blog and would love to see you work in person.  In fact, I've had a little training in engineering and computers and have my own tool kits, so it would be an honor to aid you if you find something in the scrap pile to fix up.


   After that I will stop by S2 to look over any Intel reports and use one of their terminals to look up geological surveys of the Delta Escarpment..  I will try to be quick so I can catch up to you at the mess tent."


(I assume a computer skill check isn't required to search for geological surveys since they are probably available to the public.  If he finds the surveys, Gustav will note areas where rock formations are on or very close to the surface since he suspects he may soon have an urgent need to recall that information.)
 

 

 

You & Ratticus make it over to Intel & much to your surprise, the Major has put in the word that you may come in & want to look. You are given access to the reports & vids. The Major was not wrong about the limited intel available, there are some reports of Swarm activity, but nothing near Brinnoa, the captiol city or out here near Camp Cavalier. Most intel reports are about the Battle at Stone Sea. The planet just wasn't ready for a full out assault it suffered at the hands of the Swarm.

 

Aerial reports show you that Delta Escarpment is a hilly region with some snow on the ground, a few miles outside of Brinnoa. The trip out there will take about 2 hours, barring any troubles in the march out there.  Knowing the area, I'll give you some bonuses to your checks made when you arrive in the area (ex, setting up watches in areas, setting up areas to put down traps, etc etc). Other then that there really isn't much to go on.

 

After gathering what you can you make it over to the mess hall. Once you leave intel & may your way to the mess hall & this is for everyone (something I forgot to ask when we first started) but rumors do go around. Feel free to make a Diplomacy check to gather information or Profession (soldier) check as everyone makes their way around the Camp.

 

 

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Doc wanders over to the Medbay to try to get some extra supplies, and strikes up a conversation with the Head Medico, who he has been working with while awaiting assignment. 

 

rolls a culture check 14+6+20

 

Any luck?

 

Cal Rhepkins, human military doctor run the Med tent/supply, he greats you "Hey Doc, I figured you'd be by eventually. I few moments ago I got a message from Major Jaldamarrak. He said I might see you. Unfortunately, supplies are low, but hey we know each other for endeavors in the past, so lets try & outfit you with a few things. What do you need?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Cal, my boy, you are a blessing to all who know you. I will probably need Serums of Healing, Med Patches, Heating Balms, or even just base drugs and I can mix my own, if you have any to spare. Also, we will always need batteries or injectables. Say any damaged Lab kits or weapons? I have a very talented engineer who can work miracles. So anything available will help."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Upon entering the mess tent, Gustav looks around until he spots a couple of old friends. 

 “I haven’t seen you guys since we became separated at Stone Sea. I’m really glad to see you made it out of that mess. What’s been going on around here?  Has it been as quiet as it seems since we got here? Is the Fifth the only unit at Camp Cavalier?"

 

diplomacy roll 17+1=18

Edited by ferret
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vith moved through the close quarters firing range with practised,  skilled precision.  Breach and through, corner, landing, rail and stairs.  Draw, cock, aim, squeeze, technique transformed into instinct.  

 

His body acted as his thoughts wandered, the two acting independent of one another.  He hadn't discovered any information about the status of Drachovya, it's residents, his parents, or his clutch.  He knew he'd been unfair to that infuriating ysoki,  but his ignorance about Suskillon, it's government, it's history, it's military, was maddening.  No matter how much the civilian frustrated him, or ignored military tradition, he was a member of his squad.

 

He cleared his weapon, checked the charge capacitor, emitter crystal and alignment of the focusing lens.  While he performed a gear check he spoke with the squads coming in from the perimeter patrols, squads returning from the front, or those shipping back out.

 

Having familiarized himself with base rumor mill on the Swarm's tactics and movements in the region, he went to the supply depot.  Once there traded some UPBs to the quartermaster and got a SDF regulation uniform rated for Suskillon winters, properly sized for a ysoki.

 

He then decided to get some rack time before the night patrol, and did so after leaving Maus' new uniform neatly folded on his cot.

 

OOC: Profession (Soldier) check, 1d20+5=(16)+5=21.  Career Trooper reduces the DC by 5 related to enemy troop sizes and tactics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ratticus finds his way to the barracks and as he looks around he cringes from field damage to equipment, the lack of regular repair beginning to tell and the frustration beginning to show.  Nose twitching he finds a good table and sets up his engineering kit.  'You there!' He calls out to one of the older soldiers 'come here and let me have a look at your gear.'  With that he begins to collect people and see to the repair and maintenance of the gear until lights out, only occasionally continuing  to gnaw on stale ration brick, to the amazement and awe of some of the older soldiers. Talking to the people with the equipment he worked on

 

(13+11=24 engineering to help repair the other's equipment)

(18+1=19 diplomacy check)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ra'astar makes his way to the galley, where he gathers up his allotment of food and then sits down to begin the sayings of thanks before eating.  This takes some time, but the other soldiers in the tent are used to it by now.  As he eats, he makes small talk, trying to judge the mood of the other soldiers and what gossip is most current today.

 

Diplomacy:2+6=8

 

After hearing a really good one about how the cooks are adding a preservative to cause constipation and reduce trips to the latrines, he offers to help clear tables and clean up.  "Humans have a saying that many hands make light work," he says while gesturing with all four arms, "so for me everything is light work!"

 

He then heads back to his tent, meditates for an hour to prepare himself for sleep and when he wakes, goes to meet the others at the appointed hour.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, Corsair said:

"Cal, my boy, you are a blessing to all who know you. I will probably need Serums of Healing, Med Patches, Heating Balms, or even just base drugs and I can mix my own, if you have any to spare. Also, we will always need batteries or injectables. Say any damaged Lab kits or weapons? I have a very talented engineer who can work miracles. So anything available will help."

 

Cal responds by saying "Well your in luck, sorta. We have the Serums, Med Patches. Currently we are waiting on a shipment of Heating Balms, supposedly they'll arrive in the next few days. I do have 2 left if your interested. Batteries we have plenty. We do have Waking Patches if your interested in those."

 

"As far as damaged stuff, we have a few kits that were either brought in when soldiers come in after battles or sadly, deceased. Thou very rarely as the living are more concerned about getting back alive versus grabbing equipment. We do have some basic Medkits, it's something."

 

Price for you, eh knock off 10% of the base prices. Also, I'm not sure if you have one, but I can offer my Tent, Mobile Hotelier for you & someone else to use. I'm not going into the field any time soon, he points & taps on his left leg "Recovering from a wound I suffered on my last patrol out in the wild, why I'm stuck here for now." Just return it when your done with your patrol, I know your good for it."

 

On 4/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, ferret said:

  Upon entering the mess tent, Gustav looks around until he spots a couple of old friends. 

 “I haven’t seen you guys since we became separated at Stone Sea. I’m really glad to see you made it out of that mess. What’s been going on around here?  Has it been as quiet as it seems since we got here? Is the Fifth the only unit at Camp Cavalier?"

 

diplomacy roll 17+1=18

 

The other soldiers perk up a bit after seeing you. They are battered & bruised but for the most part are still full of spirit. They say the Swarm abruptly just stopped advancing & it's been this way for a week or so. It's unnerving but at the same time a nice change. One soldier, a Lashunta says the silence is unnerving, he's rather be out there shooting his weapon at bugs!! The Fifth is the only battalion at Camp Cavalier, thou word is more units are on there way, something is brewing up vs the Swarm, but none of the higher ups are saying anything.

 

RUMOR: A android named Zynn says "I've overheard some others say they have seen a massive, multiheaded creature they say controls the Swarm invasion force. It is the size of a skyscraper and can kill anything within a mile of it using only its mind." They were civs thou, so who knows if they were just trying to rouse others & trying to get attention."

 

On 4/1/2021 at 8:58 PM, Zero Prime said:

Vith moved through the close quarters firing range with practised,  skilled precision.  Breach and through, corner, landing, rail and stairs.  Draw, cock, aim, squeeze, technique transformed into instinct.  

 

His body acted as his thoughts wandered, the two acting independent of one another.  He hadn't discovered any information about the status of Drachovya, it's residents, his parents, or his clutch.  He knew he'd been unfair to that infuriating ysoki,  but his ignorance about Suskillon, it's government, it's history, it's military, was maddening.  No matter how much the civilian frustrated him, or ignored military tradition, he was a member of his squad.

 

He cleared his weapon, checked the charge capacitor, emitter crystal and alignment of the focusing lens.  While he performed a gear check he spoke with the squads coming in from the perimeter patrols, squads returning from the front, or those shipping back out.

 

Having familiarized himself with base rumor mill on the Swarm's tactics and movements in the region, he went to the supply depot.  Once there traded some UPBs to the quartermaster and got a SDF regulation uniform rated for Suskillon winters, properly sized for a ysoki.

 

He then decided to get some rack time before the night patrol, and did so after leaving Maus' new uniform neatly folded on his cot.

 

OOC: Profession (Soldier) check, 1d20+5=(16)+5=21.  Career Trooper reduces the DC by 5 related to enemy troop sizes and tactics.

 

You overhear some other soldiers at the range talking amongst each other:

 

RUMOR: "I heard from other, their compatriots have been taken alive by Swarm creatures, and it is said that the Swarm has a way to suck the brains out of a soldier and find out the SDF’s tactics and troop sizes."

 

"Could be why, we are getting our asses handed too us in this battle."

 

 

On 4/1/2021 at 10:20 PM, Kangaroorex said:

Ratticus finds his way to the barracks and as he looks around he cringes from field damage to equipment, the lack of regular repair beginning to tell and the frustration beginning to show.  Nose twitching he finds a good table and sets up his engineering kit.  'You there!' He calls out to one of the older soldiers 'come here and let me have a look at your gear.'  With that he begins to collect people and see to the repair and maintenance of the gear until lights out, only occasionally continuing  to gnaw on stale ration brick, to the amazement and awe of some of the older soldiers. Talking to the people with the equipment he worked on

 

(13+11=24 engineering to help repair the other's equipment)

(18+1=19 diplomacy check)

 

The people gathered in the barracks are a mix of military, civs & criminals (some who aren't shy of saying what they were before joining up with the unit). There are a few that do approach you with some repairs. You can see the weapons & armors are in working order, just some are bashed around from the battles. There are some that do need repairs. Afterwards, they are thankful for the help & appricate it.

 

While you are working you over here the following from a criminal (talking to a civ)

 

RUMOR: "Yah know if Brinnoa falls to these damn thing, I heard SDF command has plans to shower the continent with nuclear bombs, even if civilians and soldiers are caught in the blasts. They could care less for us, Hells it would even mean getting rid of their "problem". He points to himself.

 

16 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Ra'astar makes his way to the galley, where he gathers up his allotment of food and then sits down to begin the sayings of thanks before eating.  This takes some time, but the other soldiers in the tent are used to it by now.  As he eats, he makes small talk, trying to judge the mood of the other soldiers and what gossip is most current today.

 

Diplomacy:2+6=8

 

After hearing a really good one about how the cooks are adding a preservative to cause constipation and reduce trips to the latrines, he offers to help clear tables and clean up.  "Humans have a saying that many hands make light work," he says while gesturing with all four arms, "so for me everything is light work!"

 

He then heads back to his tent, meditates for an hour to prepare himself for sleep and when he wakes, goes to meet the others at the appointed hour.

 

The people gathered in the galley, while are full of interesting conversations, nothing really stands out that you haven't heard before. They have a good laugh at your joke before continuing on.

 

 

If nothing else needs to be done, I'll advance to mustering hour. Around 2200 hours, the sun is starting to set. The same human lieutenant awaits for everyone to arrive.

 

"Welcome Midnight Squad! I'm glad to see that everyone is here, tonight!"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knowing that roll call was scheduled for 2200 hours, Vitharyan woke up at 2100, pinged the comms of his squad mates with a reminder, and engaged in some light PT before hitting the showers.  He ensured the water was as hot as possible before he suited up for the night patrol, gradually cooling it as he rinsed off, exiting the shower, he applied a moisturizing wax to the scales along his hands, neck, jawline and cranial ridges to prevent them from drying out and cracking in the 20 below weather than had been forecasted. 

 

Jogging back to the barracks, steam rising from his body, he nodded at the stares from his warm blooded companions.  Once back in the barracks he checked the time, completing a check of his gear, as he suited up.  He scanned the barracks for his companions, travelling with them towards the center of camp where the Lieutenant was waiting.  On the way there he called up the survey map he had downloaded to his suit's comm, bringing it up on his HUD and scanning for a route that would allow them to covert the maximum area in the mission's allotted time.  

 

"Lieutenant," he said quietly, looking towards his companions, ensuring that their gear was properly stowed so it would not chaff or encumber them on a prolonged patrol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ra'astar wakes an hour before muster and spends 20 minutes going through the limbering exercises that he has been performing every day since childhood.  Wiping off with a cleaning cloth (he still can't get used to the extravagance of using so much water in the ritual known as "showering"), he dons his EVA Suit, rotating all four arms bending deeply at the waist and knees to ensure that it is fastened snuggly without binding.

 

Finally he pulls his balaclava up over the lower portion of his face and allows his mote to light his way to the muster point.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gustav wakes with a start (and in a grumpy mood) when his  personal comm starts making a racket.  Noticing Ra'astar doing his regular routine, Gustav mumbles something about idiots that think they need to exercise before going on an all night hike when they could be getting more shuteye.
   As he is checking the seals on his armor to ensure he won't freeze his rear off, Gustav's mood markedly improves when he realizes the early wakeup call gives him time to go look for coffee before he has to report and if he's really lucky there might even be donuts. 
  As Gustav heads out on his caffeine recon mission, he mulls over the map he looked at back at HQ trying to visualize a route that will keep them on rock.  It will be slow going sticking to rocky ridges but he is damn sure he doesn't like the idea of walking on soft ground with dredgers rumored to be in the area if there is any way to avoid it.
  Gustav eventually makes it to the muster area and joins his teammates  seconds before the 2200 reporting time.
 

Edited by ferret
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ratticus stays in his bed until the last minute possible, pops out of bed and shakes his fir violently to make it poof out and then strokes it back down and slips into his second skin.  He gathers his kit bag and goes to seek out any caffeine he can find before joining his little band.  his gear is miniaturized and highly tooled to his preferences so everything fits snugly into a small kit bag on his back and a fanny pack at his belt.  his droid pip scrambles up the side of the armor and peers out from its nest on top of the pack looking backwards to ensure he isn't attacked from behind.  in deference to the annoying vesk, he toned the colors in his skin from his usual mauve and acid green tracing to a dull gray random pattern.

 

if he thinks he can catch just the vesk looking while in the camp, he will trigger his advertisement lighting on the suit to brightly show off the various sponsors before turning them off half a second later (I dont know if this is possible with the game but it is just like Ratticus to gather sponsors for the trip and have their logos light up while he is doing his job in the hope of getting the logs on the blog later (of course, in this case it's to drive Vitharyan nuts... but only if hes sure he wont get caught!)

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By Darcstaar
      Hi people.
      Im going to start another PBP.  So far I have interest from @ShadowRaven, @dwarvenranger, @Dilvish the Deliverer, and @Kangaroorex.
       
      We’re going to start the Serpent’s Skull adventure path.  Pathfinder 1e.
       
      All books are in play, but I reserve the right to veto something if it seems too gross/bloated.
       
      Please utilize the Serpent’s Skull Players Guide from the Paizo website.
       
      Abilities: 4d6, reroll all 1’s, drop lowest score, yielding ranges from 2-18 pre mods.
       
      Avg. Starting gold.
       
      We’ll follow the AP leveling track when possible.
       
      We’ll have individual initiative.
       
      I hope to get this started soon, so please post those characters.

      -edits-
      House Rules
      1. HP beyond first level.  Roll the hit die.  If the roll is less than”avg” then take avg instead.  Example: Wizard d6.  Rolls a 1.  Gets 4hp instead, before Con mod.
      2. Acrobatics can be used to avoid AOO when standing from prone.
      3. If someone is not responding and action is waiting for them, I’ll send a pm after 24 hours.  If no response 24 hours later, I’ll take over that character to get action rolling again.
    • By Darcstaar
      Part 1 of the Serpent’s Skull Adventure Path.  By James Jacobs, (c) 2010.
      Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
    • By Darcstaar
      Copyright 2012 Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
       

       

      You can decide if you know each other before the start of the adventure, or are all randomly passing through this small rural town on your way to or from Korvosa.
      You have heard rumor that a carnival passes through this town, and have come to investigate and have some fun.
      As you mill about the carnival grounds, you can sample delicious food from vendors, view exotic sights or shows, and participate in games of skill and chance.
       
      Let me know what types of things you are interested in, and if/how you know each other.
    • By Darcstaar
      Hi everyone.
      In light of additional free time, I'd like to start another PBP.
      Maybe I'll be able to get prior ones going again, if people are interested.
      We'll be doing Murder's Mark.  A Pathfinder Module for four 1st level characters.
       
      From www.paizo.com
      An urban mystery adventure for 1st-level characters.
      Everyone in the fishing town of Ilsurian is excited when the legendary Umbra Carnival rolls into town—even if the show is run by members of the much-maligned Varisian ethnic group. With strange and exotic beasts, scandalous performances, games of chance, and all the other fun of a traveling fair, who could resist such an opportunity for entertainment?
      Unfortunately for both the town and the circus, however, entertainment isn’t the only opportunity the carnival presents. 
       
       Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide are OK.
       
      Character Generation:
      Attributes: 4d6, reroll all 1's, drop lowest die.  This will yield attribute rolls of 6-18.
      Average Starting Gold for class.
      Alignments: LG, NG, CG, LN, TN.
       
      The hope would be that once we finish this one, we'll be able to start another with the same characters...
    • By Maglok
      I painted this dude up as my technomancer for our Starfinder campaign. The idea is his coat is very tech-ey. I used a Bones Chronoscope miniature and modded in some antenna. Also slightly purple skin, cause this is a Lashunta.
       
         
×
×
  • Create New...