Jump to content

Starfinder: Attack of the Swarm (Fate of the Fifth) AP pbp


Recommended Posts

Doc wanders over to Vith, tapping on the powerful Vesk's chest armor, he quietly says. "Remember, "Fight with your heart, lead with your head." Our orders are to hold as long as we can, we have to stay alive to continue to save all that we can. Make your plans to do that, and then let the others know that plan and their duties. That will give them confidence, that is what they will need more than anything else right now. Even a shaky plan is better than just sound and fury. Now sit down, eat a ration bar and make your plan."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, still waiting on @Kangaroorex's roll, but anyone that didn't roll a 25 or more & this happens while Vith is trying to communicate with the party,

 

The duststorm swirls around everyone making it very hard to see anyone, let along hear anyone. Suddenly, almost minutes after the spacedock crashed, the ground under your feet gives way as Swarm Dredgers burrow up & try to drag the party down!!

 

Surprise round (so far everyone has been surprised) 

There are a total of 4 Dredgers this time. They come out of the ground & attack the following people:

 

Doc

Ra'aster

Gustav

Vith

 

*I'll ignore Ratticus for now due to I don't have a Perception check yet. He may be able to act this round!!

 

(Since the people above are surprised, you are flat-footed, thus subtract -2 to AC for this attack:)

 

(since I'm upstairs on my laptop right now, I don't have access to anyone sheets: I have them printed next to my computer, except for Doc's)

Ok

Doc, the first dredger tries to attach itself to you & bring you down into the ground. Attack vs KAC: 16.  If that attack hits, the dredger has used the Attach action vs you.

 

Ra'aster, the 2nd one attempts the same maneuver, attaching to you: vs KAC: 10. I doubt that hits but you never know.

 

Gustav, the 3rd one follows suit & tries to bring you down as well. vs KAC: 25. If that hit, you have a Dredger attached to you now.

 

Vith, the 4th one must be a killer of the bunch as it tries to snap your leg off or at least maim you that you'll be easier to bring down later: Claw attack vs KAC: 26. If that hits, then it damages you for: 5 pts.

 

Again, we will retro for Ratticus's actions if he beats the Perc check of 25.

 

Everyone rolls for Initiative!

Once everyone has rolled, I'll update the map for positions & color the Dredgers for easier call-outs. Note Concealment rules are in effect for this combat. As are the Shaken conditions, if you failed your roll earlier.

 

Dredgers: 7

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perception is 'I see nothing' 6+3

 

Initiative is a wopping 5.  Not my day for dice...

 

Ratticus can't beat a 25 regardless of rolls, for future reference...

 

As a note though the drones stealth is at 27, (37 until it moves or attacks)

Edited by Kangaroorex
Link to post
Share on other sites

Vitharyan nodded at Doc, "Actually," he swallowed some of his rage, "that makes alot --"  Before he could finish his thought the ground erupted, dredgers came swarming through the dirt and soil.  He felt a sharp pain in his thigh, thankfully the armor plating took the brunt of it.  He rolled over onto his back, "CONTACT!"  Looking to his left he saw another one attack his tortanian squadmate.  "Doc!"

 

Two loud booms echoed across the rocky outcropping as Vith squeezed off two shots at the dredger which had attacked his leg, and even now, was looming over him chittering insect like mandibles.

 

OOC: So, seeing as Vith was expecting civilians or SDF soldiers to come out of the city with swarm at their heels, I was in a prone position to provide covering fire.  Standing up from Prone is a Move Action (ie. AoO), Crawling is a Move Action (AoO), I can't Guarded step while prone.  So either way, I am eatting an AoO, so I will roll onto my back and Full Attack, at -4, the Dredger that bit me.

 

Initiative: 1d20+7=(18)+7=25

Attack 1: 1d20+0=(19)+0=19 vs KAC, Damage (Piercing)=1d10=(7)=7 Piercing damage.

Attack 2: 1d20+0=(13)+0=13 vs KAC, Damage (Piercing)=1d10=(6)=6 Piercing damage.

 

However, the attack will draw an AoO from the Dredger, but, as I am Prone, my KAC is 12 vs Melee, so unlikely he'll miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Initiative check  7+4=11 (or 9 if the -2 for shaken applies to initiative checks)

 

Gustav has a dredger firmly attached to him as it tries to pull him into its burrow.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by ferret
Link to post
Share on other sites

Initiative Order:

Vith 25

Gustav 9

Doc 9

Ra-astar 9

Dredgers 7

Ratticus 5

 

Round 1:

 

Vith, you attack the dredger. Your attack(s) will hit the dredger, your first blasts the monster for 6 pts of damage!!

 

As you switch your position, the creature tries to retaliate but is met with anther pistol blast for 7 pts of damage, which finishes off the creature. It's lifeless body slumps halfway out of the dirt.

 

Dredger #4 is dead

 

Any of the 9s can go next.

 

Doc

The Dredger fails his Will save, you strike it for 11 pts of damage. The creature is still alive.

 

The pistol blast thou will finish it off!

 

Dredger #3 is still alive (note below)

 

Awaiting for Ra-astar & Gustav's actions

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A shaken Gustav flails at the creature attached to him with his tactical baton but his blows have little effect.

 

Trick attack 11+14-2=23

Attack 16+3-2=17

Trick attack damage 1

Attack damage 2

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gustav

 

You've tricked the creature & do 1 pts of damage & smack is upside the head for 2 pt more but the creature continues to fight on.

 

Ra-astar, your up!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As the dredger burst forth from the ground, Ra'astar is able to kick it away, narrowly avoiding it's grasping jaws.  He enters photon mode (1pt) feeling the power of the stars energize his body as he grabs his mote with a free hand (move action) and summons forth a shining spear.  He thrusts the spear at the dredger at his feet, attempting to skewer it!

 

To hit: 12+4=16 KAC

Damage: 2+6+1(photon attunement)= 9 P

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

DM note: Ok before continuing onward, I need to retcon the results of Doc's pistol attack. Dredgers are immune to acid & I totally spaced that off. The Major did warn the party to dump any acid based weapons before the patrol & such. Anyways, here's the retcon:

 

Doc

 

Doc, your spell weakens the Dredger significantly but your follow up attack just strikes the creature. To your horror, the acid just slides off the creature like water on a window. Thus no damage to this part of the attack.

 

Ra'astar

 

Your attack will strike the creature for 9 pts of damage.

 

Ok, Dredgers!

 

Dredger #1

 

It continues to keep attached to you despite the damage inflicted upon it's mind. It continues to attack you with greater effect (due to the attachment):  Your spell must have confused it slightly as it just continues to hang on to you. No further damage.

 

Dredger #2

 

The creature attacks Ra'astar! It tries to claw you & it clamps down but doesn't do any further damage. You take 7 pts of damage! (You must taste good to these, as these things really like you! :poke:)

 

Dredger #3

 

Gustav, since the creature has you in it's grasp, it'll try to clamp down for further damage. The claws pierce your flesh but for only 5 pts damage!

 

Ratitcus, your up!

 

(the Dredgers are oblivious to your drone, btw). Also, note since I haven't updated the map, you'll have to go by previous posts to see where everyone is at. Remember Concealment & Shaken (if you failed the save) are in effect. I'll try & update that later today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

since Ratticus is still near Gustav he will shoot the dredger on Gustav

19+2 (-2 for the shaken i think) Damage is 4 EAC

 

Pip will also take a shot at the closest dredger as it is threatened

15+2 (can AI be shaken?) Damage is 3 EAC

 

that would be it

Edited by Kangaroorex
had the wrong weapon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, took me a bit to find it but thanks to Paizo actually having Universal rules for their critters (unlike 5e...(one of my biggest complaints)):

 

Construct Immunities (Ex)

Source Alien Archive 4 pg. 153, Alien Archive 3 pg. 150, Alien Archive 2 pg. 149, Alien Archive pg. 153
Constructs are immune to the following effects, unless the effect specifies that it works against constructs.

Bleed, death effects, disease, mind-affecting effects, necromancy effects, paralysis, poison, sleep, and stun.

Ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, exhaustion, fatigue, negative levels, and nonlethal damage.

Any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect works on objects or is harmless).

 

GM Note: So long way to say no Pip is not Shaken!! Also, note I won't retro the results, but Vesk's fear bonus doesn't apply to mind effects. I read this on the Paizo forum, while trying to find the drone stuff.

 

The Dredger does have extra cover (ie higher AC & 20% concealment) your shot finds it mark & blasts the Dredger for 4 pts of damage!!  This Dredger (#3) has suffered a total of 7 pts so far.

 

Your drone, Pip emerges from the sandstorm to fire on a Dredger & it focuses enough to find it's mark for 3 pts of damage. (I will see which one this before marking it down. I will update the map & post it tomorrow)

 

Round #1 over, Combat/game paused till I get a updated tact map up for everyone!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Darcstaar
      Hi people.
      Im going to start another PBP.  So far I have interest from @ShadowRaven, @dwarvenranger, @Dilvish the Deliverer, and @Kangaroorex.
       
      We’re going to start the Serpent’s Skull adventure path.  Pathfinder 1e.
       
      All books are in play, but I reserve the right to veto something if it seems too gross/bloated.
       
      Please utilize the Serpent’s Skull Players Guide from the Paizo website.
       
      Abilities: 4d6, reroll all 1’s, drop lowest score, yielding ranges from 2-18 pre mods.
       
      Avg. Starting gold.
       
      We’ll follow the AP leveling track when possible.
       
      We’ll have individual initiative.
       
      I hope to get this started soon, so please post those characters.

      -edits-
      House Rules
      1. HP beyond first level.  Roll the hit die.  If the roll is less than”avg” then take avg instead.  Example: Wizard d6.  Rolls a 1.  Gets 4hp instead, before Con mod.
      2. Acrobatics can be used to avoid AOO when standing from prone.
      3. If someone is not responding and action is waiting for them, I’ll send a pm after 24 hours.  If no response 24 hours later, I’ll take over that character to get action rolling again.
    • By Darcstaar
      Part 1 of the Serpent’s Skull Adventure Path.  By James Jacobs, (c) 2010.
      Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
    • By Darcstaar
      Copyright 2012 Paizo Publishing.
       
      Using the Pathfinder Rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook
      Sixth Printing, 2013 and copyright 2009 and on
      Also uses Open Game License Content 1.0a Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast
       

       

      You can decide if you know each other before the start of the adventure, or are all randomly passing through this small rural town on your way to or from Korvosa.
      You have heard rumor that a carnival passes through this town, and have come to investigate and have some fun.
      As you mill about the carnival grounds, you can sample delicious food from vendors, view exotic sights or shows, and participate in games of skill and chance.
       
      Let me know what types of things you are interested in, and if/how you know each other.
    • By Darcstaar
      Hi everyone.
      In light of additional free time, I'd like to start another PBP.
      Maybe I'll be able to get prior ones going again, if people are interested.
      We'll be doing Murder's Mark.  A Pathfinder Module for four 1st level characters.
       
      From www.paizo.com
      An urban mystery adventure for 1st-level characters.
      Everyone in the fishing town of Ilsurian is excited when the legendary Umbra Carnival rolls into town—even if the show is run by members of the much-maligned Varisian ethnic group. With strange and exotic beasts, scandalous performances, games of chance, and all the other fun of a traveling fair, who could resist such an opportunity for entertainment?
      Unfortunately for both the town and the circus, however, entertainment isn’t the only opportunity the carnival presents. 
       
       Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide are OK.
       
      Character Generation:
      Attributes: 4d6, reroll all 1's, drop lowest die.  This will yield attribute rolls of 6-18.
      Average Starting Gold for class.
      Alignments: LG, NG, CG, LN, TN.
       
      The hope would be that once we finish this one, we'll be able to start another with the same characters...
    • By Maglok
      I painted this dude up as my technomancer for our Starfinder campaign. The idea is his coat is very tech-ey. I used a Bones Chronoscope miniature and modded in some antenna. Also slightly purple skin, cause this is a Lashunta.
       
         
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...