Here's a fun and simple one for you this week!

Owlbears are one of my favorite D&D creatures.  They're just such a silly concept and I love them.  Any scenario were I could use a bear, I swap out for one of these guys instead.  However, despite owning several different owlbear models, I have avoided painting them for a long time out of fear of ruining them.  Finally decided to give one a shot.

Reaper Bones 4: Lowland Owlbear (77674)

160812402_238642678001017_9215896989285858533_n.thumb.jpg.3d10fa53594936a6dafe727160bcb6f5.jpg

More Photos Below

Spoiler

160743553_1424795987862994_4185008182692551750_n.thumb.jpg.8bae3a726cb48ccaee8d53bb0b4d6165.jpg

I used nothing but drybrushing and washes when I first started painting but really pushed away from it when I found that I preferred layering.  But the fur and feather texture on this sculpt seemed too difficult to tackle that way.  So I decided to go back to the old reliable techniques, with a bit of a twist.

161270660_451587829291039_4964127149925964387_n.thumb.jpg.c4e3c0bd2fe1c140d4cb9546fd842770.jpg

The ears on this guy evoked The Great Horned Owl so I went with that coloration.  I went back and forth from drybrushing, to washing, to stippling on some color in specific places to add some variety and hint at the mottled feathers of the Horned Owl.  I went back and forth a few times until I found myself with something that looked right.

161437386_140012917936475_4449683287519822140_n.thumb.jpg.fd77cc487e29bf58a8b0de7ef7b74271.jpg

This ended up being a quick paintjob and one of my favorite minis after spending so much time avoiding it out of fear of ruining it.  I'm definitely looking forward to painting up the others now.

What kind of Owls should I use as inspiration next?

What mini did you put off painting for too long?

• Like 22

Love those piercing eyes!

I think the barn owl is quite iconic, if you look for more inspiration. Or you could go arctic with the snow owl.

Then again, you could get your inspiration from the bear part of the animal. May I suggest a panda owl bear? :lol:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Good one!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Samedi said:

Love those piercing eyes!

I think the barn owl is quite iconic, if you look for more inspiration. Or you could go arctic with the snow owl.

Then again, you could get your inspiration from the bear part of the animal. May I suggest a panda owl bear? :lol:

Thanks!

I was definitely thinking of a snowy owlbear with polar bear elements as well.

I'd argue that pandas aren't bears, but that's probably because I don't have enough confidence that it wouldn't turn out silly looking with my skill level.

• Like 1