3 hours ago, Adrift said:

You’re being far too critical! 
I love the color scheme and the eyes are superb. 

I am definitely my own worst critic. That being said, I can also see the eyes up close and magnified and while they look OK in the smaller images I've posted here they need some work. That being said, if anyone has any tip or tricks on dealing with shaky hands I'd love to hear them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Iridil said:

I like how you captured the skin texture and there's nothing wrong with the eyes - I like that they are kind of human like

I think you just pointed out why I'm not all that happy with the eyes. I made them look human when I should've gone with something more lizard-like. Now that I know the problem I can attempt to fix it. Thanks!

• Like 3
19 hours ago, William said:

I think you just pointed out why I'm not all that happy with the eyes. I made them look human when I should've gone with something more lizard-like. Now that I know the problem I can attempt to fix it. Thanks!

Ah, if that's what you want, just use orange/red with a little yellow and a reflection dot.

Like this?

DSCN8565.thumb.JPG.5903ad07b6d2d17c8fff3a51904d3f06.JPG

20201003_153038.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love this guy! Looks really great.

I agree the eyes are a little too “human,” I think you’ve actually done a nice job with them but they look “off” on a dinosaur.

if you Google “bird eyes” there are some great photo collages you can use for reference. My observation is that most animals show far less white around their irises than humans do: the Iris and pupil fill the entire visible eye in most cases. With birds, they also often seem to have a dark sclera, so even when the “white” is exposed, it appears dark. (I mention bird eyes because it’s what I’d use for dinosaurs, but there are equally great collages for reptiles)

for eyes in general, the more white you leave exposed, the more surprised/frightened the expression becomes. I usually aim to cover slightly more than half the eye with the Iris, no matter what species. 

a good trick for shaky hands is to move the Iris to one side of the eye, as though the mini is looking to their left or right. This is a trick I first heard from Derek Schubert @dks, and you can see in his work just how expressive this trick can be. It’s also much, much easier than trying to center your eyes, because you are working with the sculpted corner of the eye rather than doing what is essentially just tiny, tiny freehand.

• Thanks 1

I like this big fellow!

If your hands shake...

Brace your wrists on your tabletop, and brace your hands against each other.  That way, your hands shouldn't move, but only the fingers holding your brush can move/shake.

Use relatively thin paint, but offload some of it on another surface before you apply it to the mini -- I use a piece of white printer paper, but others use their palettes, their other thumb, etc. -- so you apply only a small amount in the precise area where you put your brush.  (Watch Anne Foerster's daily Pro Tips show on Reaper's Twitch channel.  She has been emphasizing the importance of offloading.)  The thin paint will let you touch up and correct your mistakes in multiple layers without building up a big thick goopy mass of paint.  Before I had a good sense for properly thinning my paint, I painted many minis whose eyes got so gunked up with thick paint that I would actually mash it back down flat with the end of my brush before touching it up again!

Thanks for passing along the side-looking trick, @Sanael

I also paint bigger-than-realistic irises on my minis.  A typical real person's iris may be less than 1/2 the width of the eye, but it's easier to paint a bigger iris, and it usually makes the mini look cuter/weirder.

Using birds or lizards as a reference for dinosaur eyes is a great idea (which I'll steal for the first dinosaur I paint!).

@William : If you want to repaint the eyes, go for it.  Or you could say this is really a wildshaped druid or a polymorphed human!

Derek

• Like 3