DragonCon '04

Orsino

Just because Reaper ignores* the the world's largest con doesn't mean the rest of us have to! As previously mentioned, the fun starts this year on Thursday night with Sting and Annie Lennox in concert a ten-minute walk from the Hyatt and Marriott.

While the pre-paid con-goers spend an hour or two in line for their badges, we'll breeze through registration in fifteen minutes by paying at the door (registration opens at six), and then hit the streets for the show.

Amidst all the gaming and shopping, we'll probably squeeze in another trip to the Shakespeare Tavern, a ten-minute walk down Peachtree from the convention. Sunday night it'll be Much Ado About Nothing, one of the Bard's best.

We'll be there with Talisman, Greed Quest and Duel Of Ages for late-night pick-up games. I may run a little GURPS.

Who else is attending? Why and for how long?

*"Ignores" may be too harsh a word. The Reaperpeeps may still be sleeping off GenCon, or trying to make bail.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to DragonCon a bunch of years ago when it was run with Origins.

I actually met Michael Dorn there that year. He was judging the costume contest and just out of curiousity I followed him out of the room and sure enough, there he was, standing in the lobby all by himself. It was just after the first season of ST:TNG and I don't think most people knew he was black. I walked up to him and introduced myself and we chatted pleasantly for a few minutes. Not wanting to act like a raving looney fan-boy I excused myself after a bit and wished him good luck with the show.

At one point during our conversation I expressed to him that my friends and I thought CPT Picard seemed more typical of what a starship catain should be like as opposed to Kirk. He smiled softly and said in that great deep voice of his, " We think so too. "

I was a fan for life after how nice he was and how easy he was to talk too. None of that silly " I'm in Star Trek " attitude Shatner has.

Gygax was there that year, sounding and acting like he'd had one too many hits of acid.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack..LOL I wish I could attend. Does the phantom piper still play in the Hilton late at night? Trader Vic's still in the basement?

....I wish I could attend. Does the phantom piper still play in the Hilton late at night? Trader Vic's still in the basement?

That must be before my time. I've only been attending since '98, and it's remained in the Hyatt and Marriott.

I do see, though, that there's still a Trader Vic's in the downtown Hilton.

I have heard of a phantom piper, but I'm usually asleep or down in the gaming room when he would make his rounds.

The year I went was '88 I believe. I could be wrong but but I'm pretty sure it was. I've slept a lot since then. :lol:

When I lived in western NC I used to come down fairly regularly for the RenFest and stuff like that. A couple friends and I went down one day for no other reason than to ride the MARTA from it's north end to the south end and back. :lol: Hey, we lived in the sticks.. :blush:

I was always fond of King Lear, personally as one of my favorites. His tragedies are just so good.

Titus gets top billing in my book though, as his best ever B-grade play. It has everything... Blood, blood and more blood. Murder, rape, live burial, cannibalism, madness, oh, and did I say blood?

People complain about contemporary american cinema being too bloody... Paul Verhoven has nothing on this one.

Sadly, I don't think we'll make DragonCon though. :( Bad time of year for me to get away from work because it's crunch time.

Macbeth, man... It's all about 'the scottish play'.

Best. Shakespeare. Ever.

It's my favorite of the tragedies. Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite comedy and Richard III is my favorite history (LOVE the Ian McKellen version). I can't narrow them down any more than that.

Macbeth and King Lear are my favorite tragedies. Which is my favorite depends greatly on which I read/saw last. Though I did just recently pick up a BBC Radio production of Lear starring Sir Alec Guinness in the titular role. So, Lear may be pulling ahead.

Much Ado About Nothing is, far and away, my favorite of the comedies. Don John the Bastard is probably my favorite Shakespearean character of all time.

Richard III for history. The film version with Ian McKellen is mind blowingly good.

I'm obviously partial to Twelfth Night--because it's the only Shakespeare I ever performed in (though not as Orsino). As Olivier said, Hamlet is, pound for pound, the greatest play in the English language. But I like it all, right on down to Coriolanus and Pericles.