On 3/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, Kuroneko said:

heat generated during its curing process can really mess up paint jobs

Should only be an issue if it is a deep pour.  The chemical reaction in resin generates more heat the thicker it gets.  Vallejo still water is alright but has issues with shrinking and it does create a noticeable meniscus when dried.  New resin will probably do you well as would using a slow setting resin so you can mix for a while before it sets up. 

I would suggest that this has more to do with materials and moisture getting into the poured piece through the grass clumps that are extending past the surface or through a MDF base.  If you used natural materials like dirt or sand try for baking that at 50 for about an hour to kill off any mould or other materials that are living in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't checked it out, Massive Voodoo has a tutorial on water effects and resin. (My biggest tip though is do not superglue the plasticard frame to your base. He said it comes off easily and that was not true for me!)

I have tried Woodland Scenics and another brand that I don't remember now (I threw away the bottle). They are fine for puddles but I wouldn't use them for anything more than that as they shrink and cloud up. Mess around with the two part resins. I thought it would be really difficult, and there is a little bit of a learning curve, but I have been so happy with my results, the effort is worth it.

I have not had issues with it ruining paint on anything. I have had little painted fish completely submerged as well as terrain and have not seen any problems with those.

Now, vegetation I have had some issues with as anything sticking above the water seems to leech the resin up into it making the part closest to the water obviously have resin in it. For bushy bits, it would be easy enough to have it just to the surface and then glue a bit on top of the cured resin to make it look like part of the vegetation was sticking out. This would not work with tall grass however so I still need to figure out how to make that work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.

They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line.  This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs.  I am worried about getting a good hold.

So I have a few questions:

1: how to fasten these guys to a base?  Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
      2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
      3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?

So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter.  There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders.  Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape.  I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently.  One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.

Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit.  I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).

The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.

Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful.  My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
    • By [email protected]
      Started painting during the pandemic but was really intimidated by basing. Finally picked up some supplies and based my first couple models. Really improved the overall quality and aesthetic. 

• By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
    • By SparrowMarie
      I've gotten to the basing point for Ma'al. I decided I wanted to put ivy vines around the base. While I just did the vines out of green stuff I'm not sure what to do about the leaves. I have a GSW leaf punch that I want to use but I'm not sure how to prep the leaves so nothing weird comes in with them. It's been suggested to me to use the oven but was given no further details.  I have other ideas if I can't get the leaves to work but I'd really like to use them since I went through the trouble of getting the punch specifically for this. 

So what would you do to real leaves to make them work for basing? 
    • By Thrym
      We all keep knick knacks and trinkets to make things from in the future.  Whether it's some small bit, like dragon pendant I got from Salvation Army for 50 cents or some cardboard forms that hold tech devices in place that look like good buildings for Battletech.

I wrote about Bottlecaps as bases a while ago.

Recently, I found the plastic mounting bracket that's been floating around my bench and figured out what I wanted to start making.  I usually draw out what I intend to do, but the shape of the bracket defined its purpose.

This compilation uses a bunch of various finds.  So towards that end, I am going to have a little contest.  

Guess all of the items which I used in here and you will get a random Bones mini.  I will provide a numbered list and one clue because one SET is fairly hard to figure out.

1. ______
      2. ______
      3. ______
      4. ______
      5. ______ Bracket

Clue:  These odd pieces were disassembled from a triangular cap.

The bricks are actual brick I bought off of Wish.  I got the standard bricks plus the square in gray and brick red.  I also have small triangles in brick red.

The stone was split length wise so it was nice and flat. The terrain is a custom grind of bark, black walnut bark, dark cork and and coarse normal cork.

The gears are from Michael's jewelry and findings section.  Some of the white on the terrain is baking soda mixed with super glue.

Here's the piece primed...

Stay tuned and enjoy.

• Who's Online   26 Members, 1 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)