I need to pick your brain for a bit.

I'm thinking of starting a new project (just a one off figure, not an army) and I was wondering what all the belts/straps are made of? Specifically, does it have a texture like modern web gear, or is it just smooth leather? I've tried looking for pictures, but what I've found isn't very helpful. I'm curious from a sculpting/painting standpoint.

I'm interested in British light cavalry specifically, if that makes any difference. 

• Like 1

Which Cavalry Unit are you thinking of?

Some had red uniforms others blue.

Depending on the unit.

Dragoons? Hussars? Scot's Greys? Lancers?

Maybe this can help a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_belt_(military)

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/British_cavalry.htm

Extant uniform - Peninsular War period. | Uniform, Napoleonic wars, Coat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

During this period almost all belts are made from leather. It’s generally smooth and is often dyed for black belts or rubbed with pipe clay for white belts. Scabbards, especially for cavalry, are typically made of steel not leather. If you have specific questions about a type of cavalry, like dragoons, or a unit, like the Scots Greys. Let me know I have a ton of reference material for the period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Osprey Publishing would be my go-to if historically accurate info and art is what you are after. Their books are always an treat for the eyes.

As an aside, Silver Bayonet drops right before Halloween this year, if you see your Napoleonics hunting Gothic horrors.

• Like 2
  • Forum Mascot
22 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Even if the Osprey is wrong, everyone will think it's right.  Haha.

Trooth.  Same reason we'll be living with incorrect Tank Museum colour guides for about 1,000 years.  

• Like 3

The closest interest I have in Napoleonics are the Wars of South American Liberation. I have the book Liberadores! which, like Ospreys, have color uniform plates for the various factions involved. I'd like to do it with my wife. She has an interest in history, & since she is Ecuadorian, this will provide a connection for her in the game.

Now for rules...

Damon.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lars Porsenna said:

The closest interest I have in Napoleonics are the Wars of South American Liberation. I have the book Liberadores! which, like Ospreys, have color uniform plates for the various factions involved. I'd like to do it with my wife. She has an interest in history, & since she is Ecuadorian, this will provide a connection for her in the game.

Now for rules...

Damon.

Black powder is probably the easiest ruleset to adapt, assuming similar time period

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that was sorta pricey...

I got an inch to paint more ships at the same time  my bonus check arrived.  Not the most frugal combination.  I now have about 12 more mast sets and 10 more new ships with masts and rigging coming soon...

• Like 3