Jump to content

Ral Partha Town Guards sculpted by Jim Johnson


Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

Very cool! I like 'em; you did a good job of making them unique, but still look like a unit.

+10 points for painting figures by Jim Johnson, based on my figure collection, I am also a fan of his work.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

These are so good, I especially like the crossbow man with his hood half down.

His face is a picture of determination, definitely my favourite of the bunch.

I'm just trying NMM for the first time myself and I suck at it, when I grow up I want to paint like you.

Signed Jon, age 41 and 3 quarters. :)

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Very cool! I like 'em; you did a good job of making them unique, but still look like a unit.

+10 points for painting figures by Jim Johnson, based on my figure collection, I am also a fan of his work.

Thank you Chaoswolf!

 

Yeah, I’m a really huge fan of his sculpting style, angular and a little bulky. He’s kind of the opposite of Meier, but there is tons of personality in his work.  He did tons of miniatures for Partha with their TSR ranges. I really dig his work!

13 minutes ago, Paintfully_aware said:

These are so good, I especially like the crossbow man with his hood half down.

His face is a picture of determination, definitely my favourite of the bunch.

I'm just trying NMM for the first time myself and I suck at it, when I grow up I want to paint like you.

Signed Jon, age 41 and 3 quarters. :)

Thanks Paintfully Aware!  My NMM is always so hit and miss and I don’t think I’m ever going to get it to look in any way realistic, but it’s one of those things that almost all figures end up having some metal on them, so I’ve been getting the practice with virtually every mini I paint, so some day, maybe twenty years from now (I’ll be 73) I will actually be able to say I know what I’m doing. 

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Great job!

I love the purples and it seems you have quite the diverse town there, good job on the different skintones, I like it!

Yup, it’s the World of Benetton at that little village!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on all of them. The colors you selected and the precious stones they wear make me think that they are the sophisticated guards of a big city or maybe even a metropolis. Also, I like the hairstyle of the crossbowman.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Metalchaos said:

Great work on all of them. The colors you selected and the precious stones they wear make me think that they are the sophisticated guards of a big city or maybe even a metropolis. Also, I like the hairstyle of the crossbowman.

Thank you Metalchaos!  I wanted to stay away from brown and green, and wanted a slightly more sinister look, so thought of black and red, but then afterwards I don’t know how the lavender color plays out as a combination.

 

Yeah, I like his hair too. He’s really the only guard that has actually left his grand mane totally exposed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like these guys! 

 

Yes, their metallic things look more like metal. 

I'm realizing that my own advice was vague or misleading. 

The key isn't just "go up to white", but rather it's about controlling the rest of the colors on the NMM and using the white as glints of reflected light within a full black-to-white range of contrast.   If you use too much white, it will look less like metal and more like light-gray stone, because the white will be too broad to look like reflections of light.

Alas, words aren't as good as images to convey advice about miniatures.  It would be much clearer to see one example of NMM that doesn't look right, next to the same figure with better NMM.   Maybe I should make some side-by-side comparisons -- take one of my figures where I didn't do the NMM very well and then paint over it in Photoshop, or take a figure whose NMM was good but then make it worse in Photoshop.

 

Anyway, I also never met Jim Johnson or heard anything about him, though I also painted a bunch of his figures in the late '80s and early '90s. 

But I think his style influenced my own sculpting, such as the scale of details and the degree of abstraction, allowing the painter to add texture and detail with paint. 

He sculpted many figures for Ral Partha, including boxed sets of official D&D minis and minis based on Larry Elmore's art.

I painted the figures for one of those boxed sets: "Reflections of Myth" (10-315).  The characters were based on pen-and-ink drawings by Larry Elmore, so there wasn't any official color scheme to follow.  I deliberately painted each of the 8 figures with different skin and hair colors, like you did with these guards (and other sets you've painted). 

And you painted at least one of the figures from that set -- Dragon Lass!: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80677-larry-elmore-dragon-lass-from-ral-partha/

I painted mine with pale green skin, dark green hair, red clothes, and a purple dragon.  I think the art director was surprised by those colors.

 

EDIT: Here's another one from that set, which you painted (the female pirate): https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76216-two-ral-partha-pirates-and-a-larry-elmore-chick

 

Derek 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a real nice group! Great job! If you have issues with coats of arms I use, this site: https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch.html

This has all the coats of arms of all the cities/towns/villages, counties (communes) and states (cantons) in Switzerland. I've been using it for a while, great practice for freehand as well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stripes (bends sinister in this case, or perhaps bendlets since they are thinner than the base color) aren’t a bad design, but you could play around with some other geometric divisions if you wanted something a bit more.  I like “gyronny”, usually 8, quartered and with each of the quarters divided.

 

Like this, minus the counterchanged annulet:

 

E219260B-1855-4EF0-9FBF-0082A68FD555.thumb.jpeg.9f061ff30e3fe04ee560a190a07eda4b.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dks said:

I like these guys! 

 

Yes, their metallic things look more like metal. 

I'm realizing that my own advice was vague or misleading. 

The key isn't just "go up to white", but rather it's about controlling the rest of the colors on the NMM and using the white as glints of reflected light within a full black-to-white range of contrast.   If you use too much white, it will look less like metal and more like light-gray stone, because the white will be too broad to look like reflections of light.

Alas, words aren't as good as images to convey advice about miniatures.  It would be much clearer to see one example of NMM that doesn't look right, next to the same figure with better NMM.   Maybe I should make some side-by-side comparisons -- take one of my figures where I didn't do the NMM very well and then paint over it in Photoshop, or take a figure whose NMM was good but then make it worse in Photoshop.

 

Anyway, I also never met Jim Johnson or heard anything about him, though I also painted a bunch of his figures in the late '80s and early '90s. 

But I think his style influenced my own sculpting, such as the scale of details and the degree of abstraction, allowing the painter to add texture and detail with paint. 

He sculpted many figures for Ral Partha, including boxed sets of official D&D minis and minis based on Larry Elmore's art.

I painted the figures for one of those boxed sets: "Reflections of Myth" (10-315).  The characters were based on pen-and-ink drawings by Larry Elmore, so there wasn't any official color scheme to follow.  I deliberately painted each of the 8 figures with different skin and hair colors, like you did with these guards (and other sets you've painted). 

And you painted at least one of the figures from that set -- Dragon Lass!: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80677-larry-elmore-dragon-lass-from-ral-partha/

I painted mine with pale green skin, dark green hair, red clothes, and a purple dragon.  I think the art director was surprised by those colors.

 

EDIT: Here's another one from that set, which you painted (the female pirate): https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76216-two-ral-partha-pirates-and-a-larry-elmore-chick

 

Derek 

Hi Derek and thanks for the kind words!  I think it would be an excellent source of inspiration to see two versions of the same miniature that you would have painted where you consider one set of NMM better than the other.  

 

In respect to Jim Johnson, I just find it so interesting that he was so prolific, both for Partha and for Reaper, but I've never heard of anything about him,  as a person or professional.  For example, Tom Meier has been out there on the internet with his own company's page (when it was still active) and he had the beginnings of a blog.  I hear about Julie Guthrie and Bob Ridolfi every so often via Reaper itself, as they guest on some of the Twitch shows.  

 

I've seen the back of that box, Reflections of Myth, and love all the work you did on them all.  I guess I didn't consciously realize they were all painted with the different skin and hair colors until looking at it right now.  I'm guessing your painted minis of these are all scattered throughout the seven winds.  I was told that when Ral Partha closed a great deal of their painted figured that were in their display cases were "liberated" by the folk at their factory.

RP-le-10-315l.jpg.7ca68e49774dde3fa75b209e89652a75.jpg

 

I think if I recall correctly I have all of these figures and like you mentioned above, two of them are painted.  After being a miniature in this box, Dark Sword also did another version of the pirate chick, I think if I remember correctly sculpted by Bobby Jackson. 

11 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

That's a real nice group! Great job! If you have issues with coats of arms I use, this site: https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch.html

This has all the coats of arms of all the cities/towns/villages, counties (communes) and states (cantons) in Switzerland. I've been using it for a while, great practice for freehand as well.

Thank you Poilu!

 

I may use that site for future reference one of these days!

 

10 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Stripes (bends sinister in this case, or perhaps bendlets since they are thinner than the base color) aren’t a bad design, but you could play around with some other geometric divisions if you wanted something a bit more.  I like “gyronny”, usually 8, quartered and with each of the quarters divided.

 

Like this, minus the counterchanged annulet:

 

E219260B-1855-4EF0-9FBF-0082A68FD555.thumb.jpeg.9f061ff30e3fe04ee560a190a07eda4b.jpeg

 

 

Hey there Rob!

Thanks for the suggestions, it looks quite a bit better than just drawing some straight lines.  I really didn't have that spark of shield inspiration this time. Normally I do some kind of freehand, a face, a monster, or maybe a tower, a moon, something.  This time I just didn't know what to do.  I'll try to be a bit more creative in my future shield endeavors.  I saw a few days ago on Twitch Anne doing some designs on carpet and I could probably apply a similar principle to a shield, which is kind of what you're doing above.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By 72moonglum
      Good afternoon all you reaperfiles! 
       
      So I haven't painted anything by Sandra Garrity for the longest of times, so I'm glad I started this little figure up, Ellana Dragonmistress, a female druid she sculpted long ago for Ral Partha. Beautiful little figure with her traditionally petite eyes.  The hardest part on this one, besides the eyes, was deciding on what colors I'd use.  As I listen to a lot of Anne Forester's Twitch channel over lunch and she talks so much about color theory, I always wonder if my colors match or not, but ultimately, without a color wheel to whip out, I end up guessing and hope it all ends up matching more or less. One day I'd like to figure out what colors totally clash 1000% and paint with those, but that is for some future miniature surely.
       
      So here she is:
       

       
      One thing I really like about her is that besides her staff, she carries no weapons, which makes her a reasonably simple miniature to paint, but also gives you that feeling that she knows she's so bada$$ that she just doesn't need any weapons. I also really like her cowboy boots.  Why a blue dragon head?  No idea, it's what arrived to my brain.
       
      So anyhoos, enjoy!
       
       
    • By Iridil
      It only took me 35+ years to paint these....
       
      Somewhere, in a box, are the tiny goblins which are the riders to these wolves. Paint job inspired by 72moonglum (mine are a rather poor second to the original I am afraid). https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64325-ral-partha-goblin-imp-wolf-riders-kind-of-pic-heavy/
      I iincluded a shot with the Reaper Warg to give you an idea how small these fellows are. More wolves for the forest! And I finally painted them - wow




    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reapervellians,
       
      So I had these figures sitting around and primed for probably about two or three years, and then while trying to start up another project, I ended up grabbing these.
       
      These are four new figures, sculpted by Dave Summers, famous for his Darksword anthropomorphic miniatures as well as decades of other finely sculpted figures, that he sculpted for Ral Partha's Chaos Wars game in 2016, associated with a Kickstarter if I recall correctly, and then a rather old figure, the female dwarf, who was sculpted by Dennis Mize back in I think 1977-1978.
       
      Nowadays of course, figures are a lot larger, but Dave Summers sculpted these four new dwarves to that old school 25 millimeter scale, which means they are pretty petite. If I remember afterwards I'll snap some kind of comparison photo with some common item. I always forget to do that for some reason.
       
      Anyhoos, here they are:
       

       
      and here's the lady dwarf. I separated her out because I actually have an older version that I did of her years ago as a gift for somebody, and wanted to show it as a comparison.
       
      Here's the one I just painted:

       
      and here she is probably already five or six years earlier:
       

       
      I had her on a much larger base in the original version.
       
      Anyhow, that's all for today folks, enjoy at your leisure!
       
       
       
       
    • By 72moonglum
      And good evening to all of you of the Reaper persuasion,
       
      So just finished photographing this guy this afternoon.  This is an Earth Elemental, originally from a blister pack of three minis, this guy, the Earth Elementals Lord I painted a few days back and an interesting looking iguana-like Earth Familiar, which is on my docket next.  This was sculpted by Jim Johnson and released somewhere in the nineties.  Fun figure to paint, not a drop of metal, but all sorts of different earth tones.  The only un-earthy tones are the crystals in his spine, which I painted blue.  I wanted to originally paint them green to match the crystal in the Shaman's staff, but I didn't think there would be enough contrast between the grass/moss around the stones.
       

       
      The little iguana familiar will be next!
       
      Enjoy!
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here is a model from the early 80s. Ral Partha 02-912, Giant Rat sculpted by Julie Guthrie. I placed it on a 20mm base and painted in with Reaper MSP paint.
       

       

       

       

       

       

  • Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...