Jump to content

Ral Partha Town Guards sculpted by Jim Johnson


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderator

Very cool! I like 'em; you did a good job of making them unique, but still look like a unit.

+10 points for painting figures by Jim Johnson, based on my figure collection, I am also a fan of his work.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

These are so good, I especially like the crossbow man with his hood half down.

His face is a picture of determination, definitely my favourite of the bunch.

I'm just trying NMM for the first time myself and I suck at it, when I grow up I want to paint like you.

Signed Jon, age 41 and 3 quarters. :)

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Very cool! I like 'em; you did a good job of making them unique, but still look like a unit.

+10 points for painting figures by Jim Johnson, based on my figure collection, I am also a fan of his work.

Thank you Chaoswolf!

 

Yeah, I’m a really huge fan of his sculpting style, angular and a little bulky. He’s kind of the opposite of Meier, but there is tons of personality in his work.  He did tons of miniatures for Partha with their TSR ranges. I really dig his work!

13 minutes ago, Paintfully_aware said:

These are so good, I especially like the crossbow man with his hood half down.

His face is a picture of determination, definitely my favourite of the bunch.

I'm just trying NMM for the first time myself and I suck at it, when I grow up I want to paint like you.

Signed Jon, age 41 and 3 quarters. :)

Thanks Paintfully Aware!  My NMM is always so hit and miss and I don’t think I’m ever going to get it to look in any way realistic, but it’s one of those things that almost all figures end up having some metal on them, so I’ve been getting the practice with virtually every mini I paint, so some day, maybe twenty years from now (I’ll be 73) I will actually be able to say I know what I’m doing. 

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Great job!

I love the purples and it seems you have quite the diverse town there, good job on the different skintones, I like it!

Yup, it’s the World of Benetton at that little village!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work on all of them. The colors you selected and the precious stones they wear make me think that they are the sophisticated guards of a big city or maybe even a metropolis. Also, I like the hairstyle of the crossbowman.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Metalchaos said:

Great work on all of them. The colors you selected and the precious stones they wear make me think that they are the sophisticated guards of a big city or maybe even a metropolis. Also, I like the hairstyle of the crossbowman.

Thank you Metalchaos!  I wanted to stay away from brown and green, and wanted a slightly more sinister look, so thought of black and red, but then afterwards I don’t know how the lavender color plays out as a combination.

 

Yeah, I like his hair too. He’s really the only guard that has actually left his grand mane totally exposed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like these guys! 

 

Yes, their metallic things look more like metal. 

I'm realizing that my own advice was vague or misleading. 

The key isn't just "go up to white", but rather it's about controlling the rest of the colors on the NMM and using the white as glints of reflected light within a full black-to-white range of contrast.   If you use too much white, it will look less like metal and more like light-gray stone, because the white will be too broad to look like reflections of light.

Alas, words aren't as good as images to convey advice about miniatures.  It would be much clearer to see one example of NMM that doesn't look right, next to the same figure with better NMM.   Maybe I should make some side-by-side comparisons -- take one of my figures where I didn't do the NMM very well and then paint over it in Photoshop, or take a figure whose NMM was good but then make it worse in Photoshop.

 

Anyway, I also never met Jim Johnson or heard anything about him, though I also painted a bunch of his figures in the late '80s and early '90s. 

But I think his style influenced my own sculpting, such as the scale of details and the degree of abstraction, allowing the painter to add texture and detail with paint. 

He sculpted many figures for Ral Partha, including boxed sets of official D&D minis and minis based on Larry Elmore's art.

I painted the figures for one of those boxed sets: "Reflections of Myth" (10-315).  The characters were based on pen-and-ink drawings by Larry Elmore, so there wasn't any official color scheme to follow.  I deliberately painted each of the 8 figures with different skin and hair colors, like you did with these guards (and other sets you've painted). 

And you painted at least one of the figures from that set -- Dragon Lass!: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80677-larry-elmore-dragon-lass-from-ral-partha/

I painted mine with pale green skin, dark green hair, red clothes, and a purple dragon.  I think the art director was surprised by those colors.

 

EDIT: Here's another one from that set, which you painted (the female pirate): https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76216-two-ral-partha-pirates-and-a-larry-elmore-chick

 

Derek 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a real nice group! Great job! If you have issues with coats of arms I use, this site: https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch.html

This has all the coats of arms of all the cities/towns/villages, counties (communes) and states (cantons) in Switzerland. I've been using it for a while, great practice for freehand as well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stripes (bends sinister in this case, or perhaps bendlets since they are thinner than the base color) aren’t a bad design, but you could play around with some other geometric divisions if you wanted something a bit more.  I like “gyronny”, usually 8, quartered and with each of the quarters divided.

 

Like this, minus the counterchanged annulet:

 

E219260B-1855-4EF0-9FBF-0082A68FD555.thumb.jpeg.9f061ff30e3fe04ee560a190a07eda4b.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dks said:

I like these guys! 

 

Yes, their metallic things look more like metal. 

I'm realizing that my own advice was vague or misleading. 

The key isn't just "go up to white", but rather it's about controlling the rest of the colors on the NMM and using the white as glints of reflected light within a full black-to-white range of contrast.   If you use too much white, it will look less like metal and more like light-gray stone, because the white will be too broad to look like reflections of light.

Alas, words aren't as good as images to convey advice about miniatures.  It would be much clearer to see one example of NMM that doesn't look right, next to the same figure with better NMM.   Maybe I should make some side-by-side comparisons -- take one of my figures where I didn't do the NMM very well and then paint over it in Photoshop, or take a figure whose NMM was good but then make it worse in Photoshop.

 

Anyway, I also never met Jim Johnson or heard anything about him, though I also painted a bunch of his figures in the late '80s and early '90s. 

But I think his style influenced my own sculpting, such as the scale of details and the degree of abstraction, allowing the painter to add texture and detail with paint. 

He sculpted many figures for Ral Partha, including boxed sets of official D&D minis and minis based on Larry Elmore's art.

I painted the figures for one of those boxed sets: "Reflections of Myth" (10-315).  The characters were based on pen-and-ink drawings by Larry Elmore, so there wasn't any official color scheme to follow.  I deliberately painted each of the 8 figures with different skin and hair colors, like you did with these guards (and other sets you've painted). 

And you painted at least one of the figures from that set -- Dragon Lass!: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80677-larry-elmore-dragon-lass-from-ral-partha/

I painted mine with pale green skin, dark green hair, red clothes, and a purple dragon.  I think the art director was surprised by those colors.

 

EDIT: Here's another one from that set, which you painted (the female pirate): https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76216-two-ral-partha-pirates-and-a-larry-elmore-chick

 

Derek 

Hi Derek and thanks for the kind words!  I think it would be an excellent source of inspiration to see two versions of the same miniature that you would have painted where you consider one set of NMM better than the other.  

 

In respect to Jim Johnson, I just find it so interesting that he was so prolific, both for Partha and for Reaper, but I've never heard of anything about him,  as a person or professional.  For example, Tom Meier has been out there on the internet with his own company's page (when it was still active) and he had the beginnings of a blog.  I hear about Julie Guthrie and Bob Ridolfi every so often via Reaper itself, as they guest on some of the Twitch shows.  

 

I've seen the back of that box, Reflections of Myth, and love all the work you did on them all.  I guess I didn't consciously realize they were all painted with the different skin and hair colors until looking at it right now.  I'm guessing your painted minis of these are all scattered throughout the seven winds.  I was told that when Ral Partha closed a great deal of their painted figured that were in their display cases were "liberated" by the folk at their factory.

RP-le-10-315l.jpg.7ca68e49774dde3fa75b209e89652a75.jpg

 

I think if I recall correctly I have all of these figures and like you mentioned above, two of them are painted.  After being a miniature in this box, Dark Sword also did another version of the pirate chick, I think if I remember correctly sculpted by Bobby Jackson. 

11 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

That's a real nice group! Great job! If you have issues with coats of arms I use, this site: https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch.html

This has all the coats of arms of all the cities/towns/villages, counties (communes) and states (cantons) in Switzerland. I've been using it for a while, great practice for freehand as well.

Thank you Poilu!

 

I may use that site for future reference one of these days!

 

10 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Stripes (bends sinister in this case, or perhaps bendlets since they are thinner than the base color) aren’t a bad design, but you could play around with some other geometric divisions if you wanted something a bit more.  I like “gyronny”, usually 8, quartered and with each of the quarters divided.

 

Like this, minus the counterchanged annulet:

 

E219260B-1855-4EF0-9FBF-0082A68FD555.thumb.jpeg.9f061ff30e3fe04ee560a190a07eda4b.jpeg

 

 

Hey there Rob!

Thanks for the suggestions, it looks quite a bit better than just drawing some straight lines.  I really didn't have that spark of shield inspiration this time. Normally I do some kind of freehand, a face, a monster, or maybe a tower, a moon, something.  This time I just didn't know what to do.  I'll try to be a bit more creative in my future shield endeavors.  I saw a few days ago on Twitch Anne doing some designs on carpet and I could probably apply a similar principle to a shield, which is kind of what you're doing above.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Krassling
      Back on my PC I can upload the final shot of the mounted knight Lucardus von Kemet. Because he is a famous character in the world of The Dark Eye, I put a sign on his base to give his name clearly to everyone. As a leader of the Undead and user of dark powers I gave him a look similiar to his underlings. He is a desperate man who wields war in the name of his demonic mistress. Painting process is in the wip forum.
       

    • By Rob Dean
      A few years ago (hmmm…2015), Iron Wind Metals did a Kickstarter for a Chaos Wars revival. The first two armies featured were orcs and elves. I got most of my compact orcish army painted a while back, but was looking at a new set of rules last week (Fantastic Battles).  I needed at least one more leader stand to use my Chaos Wars orcs, and I knew that I had a few orc leaders from that Kickstarter I hadn’t finished.  Happily, I was even able to find them among my boxes of primed figures on sticks.
       


       

       
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reaper Acolytes!
       
      So painted this one as a gift for a friend, now that she's got it, can finally show it off:
       

       
      A Thumper Standard Bearer,  I think sculpted by Richard Kerr.  
       
      It was so hard not go go all crazy Easter Bunny on this one, so added a few Easter eggs, quite literally.  Hopefully his banner is legible!
       
      After listening quite often and watching Anne Forester's Twitch channel, one great tip she gave was to start with your free hand using a white base instead of black.  I did so this time, so hopefully the banner text and the belt are a bit brighter than they otherwise would have been had I used a black base color.  
       
      Anyhoos, enjoy and a premature Happy Easter to all!
       
       
    • By 72moonglum
      Good afternoon my Reapergogglians!
       
      So just finished up Ann Penchyk, a Shadowrun character apparently (don't know too much about Shadowrun still, after months and months of painting different Shadowrun figures.
       
      I really dig this little blister pack, where we have Ann dressed in her corporate 9-5 job, and then the another version of her, the "adventurer" version of her.  So with that in mind, I at least tried to keep her skin tones, hair color, et cetera the same so it looks like she just might be the same gal in different attire.
       
      9-5 Ann:


       
      and how she spends her time Shadowrunning on the weekend:
       

       
      and here they are together, side by side:
       

       
      This is the first Shadowrun orc I've painted and from what I could tell with all the other artwork I've found on line, Shadowrun orcs can be any normal person's skin color, so even though I thought it was a bit strange, I painted her starting out with Tanned Highlights and worked up and down from there instead of doing some type of green base.
       
      So ta-ta for now, hope you enjoy!
       
       
       
       
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reaperhemians!
       
      So my last four minis were a blister pack of Ral Partha Shadowrun Tribals, sculpted by Dennis Mize, with a date stamped on the bottom of 1992, so 19 years ago.(EDIT -apparently I can’t do math. I was thinking a moment ago, wait, my kid is twenty eight years old and he was born in 1992, so the miniature is actually 28 or so years old!)  I really enjoyed working on these figures.  The first thing was the Native American skin, for which I used the Redstone Triad to get figured out.  I hope it doesn't look too red.   The other thing was all the beads they have on their clothing, for which I gave up and decided to go with the same colors for each bead set, even though I though of doing different colors in the same string of beads but kind of gave that thought up because I didn't want it to take forever.  The other thing I kind of tried was to use a red, white and blue color theme for the accents, with their natural leathers and I threw in a bit of green and yellow.
       

       
       
      So anyways, hope you all enjoy!
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 2 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...