Dungeons & Lasers Woodhaven

SamuraiJack

8 hours ago, Auberon said:

Fair enough.  I've seen people miss things like that so I was just making sure.

All good. I have to say I found this one of the most confusing Kickstarters I’ve backed and I’m well into triple figures in terms of projects backed.

I almost didn’t back due to my confusion in the end.

• Like 1

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

All good. I have to say I found this one of the most confusing Kickstarters I’ve backed and I’m well into triple figures in terms of projects backed.

I almost didn’t back due to my confusion in the end.

Your pledge allows you to choose ‘rooms’ and some parts of the pledge allow you to swap parts for rooms and vice versa; for instance, if you didn’t want the villagers, you could swap them out for another room set. 

things like doors and little extras are just add-ons you could do as part of your pledge, or not, or later in the pledge manager. 

Depending on ones pledge level, a ton of free stretch goals are included and based on the DL2 I just received, it’s a ton!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adrift said:

Your pledge allows you to choose ‘rooms’ and some parts of the pledge allow you to swap parts for rooms and vice versa; for instance, if you didn’t want the villagers, you could swap them out for another room set. 

things like doors and little extras are just add-ons you could do as part of your pledge, or not, or later in the pledge manager. 

Depending on ones pledge level, a ton of free stretch goals are included and based on the DL2 I just received, it’s a ton!

Thanks, for the extra info. Wasn’t there also an issue with the doors and the rooms not coming with doors and whether the doors are compatible across the different Kickstarters.

Edited by Olaf the Stout

16 hours ago, ced1106 said:

If anyone wants some suggestions, describe what build you want (eg. dungeon, village and number of buildings, castle including size, etc.).

As of right now, I'm getting two Village sets. I'm going to be trading in one box of villager minis for an extra room, though I'm contemplating if it's more cost effective to keep the villagers, buy 2 extra rooms, and try to flip the villager minis in the after-market to cover the cost instead of a one for one exchange....

I typically do dungeons or buildings, including castles and other environments. I don't have much consistency in where adventures occur - it changes up a fair amount. I like the idea of having both a dungeon and sewer set to do town/city adventures stacked on top of each other, but realistically know that won't really happen. Tempted to get two dungeons just to ensure I have enough consistent design work, but I like the idea of the sewer sets. Not sure about which rooms to pick up, either. There's almost too many choices....

• Like 1

As to the doors, any one please feel free to correct me if I am wrong but this is how I recall it going….

Dungeons and Lasers rooms ship with themed doorways as part of the rooms. 

Matching themed doorways with closed doors in them were an add-on.

Then Archon came up with “functional doors” as an add-on. However there was confusion among backers as to whether this add-on included matching doorways. Some folks, like me, were surprised when the functional doors arrived without the doorways to mount them.

This resulted in “Doorgate”.

Some folks felt cheated or mislead. Personally I just scolded myself for not reading closely enough and letting my desire to have themed doors without having to buy the matching themed rooms blind me. 

Archon announced they would do an add-on for D&L 3 where they would provide the doorways at cost. 

A second scandal occurred when the add-on came at a price that did not appear “at cost”. Archon responded by changing the price (adding more doorways) and adding the small roof pieces that were on the preview sprue. This add-on is now the only way to get those small roof pieces. 

A third scandal was averted.

I was very vocal in trying to get Archon to add some doors to match the new room themes because I knew people would be upset about building their new buildings with only open doorways. It was one of those things many backers took for granted. “Who sells buildings without doors?“ I asked people in several places to talk with Archon about this, knowing that the more people who raised the issue the more the chance of Archon responding. Finally Archon added closed doors in doorway pieces for the new themes as an add-on.

Communication issues and confusion has been an on-going issue with the D&L kickstarters. There seems to be a lack of focus and editorial oversight in their campaigns. I do wonder how much of it is down to international language challenges. But also it sometimes feels like these are products that the Archon staff are not actually playing with themselves, unlike say for example the Dwarven Forge folks.

The products that I have received from Archon however have been great. Maybe not always working as intended but doing fine for the applications I want. The material and sculpts are great, albeit with a slightly cartoonish chunky aesthetic that reminds me of 80’s sculpts at times. 

EDIT: Some videos of painting D&L sets

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dungeons+and+lasers+painting

Edited by Grumpy Gnome
Forgot a link.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I typically do dungeons or buildings, including castles and other environments. I don't have much consistency in where adventures occur - it changes up a fair amount. I like the idea of having both a dungeon and sewer set to do town/city adventures stacked on top of each other, but realistically know that won't really happen. Tempted to get two dungeons just to ensure I have enough consistent design work, but I like the idea of the sewer sets. Not sure about which rooms to pick up, either. There's almost too many choices....

Gotcha. 😄

Well, Archon's next KS will be SF, so the D&L Fantasy stuffs won't be available for awhile. Flipping the Townsfolk miniature sounds like a good idea. The asking price for a dragon is $35 including shipping.

For better or for worse, Archon's door sets "encourage" you to "buy one of each" rather than "multiples of one". So that's the direction I'm going. The Fantasy Core Set has 42 game tiles and it's better than "thick wall" game tiles (eg. Dwarven Forge) at making corridors and second stories. Personally, I like the Cursed Cathedral design. Since I have fantasy dungeon tiles, those are the only two sets I would "buy again" from D&L2. 

As for D&L3, I backed Lasting Tales, and their demo uses four 4" x 6" buildings. You can get 1.5 buildings from a room and the Woodhaven Door set "encourages" you to "buy one of each", and I don't have as many village game tiles, so I picked up Wooden Cottage and Tudor Mansion. Set don't have roofs or doors, Rooms cover 9 game tiles, and Roof Sets about 20 game tiles, so I'm picking up a Village pledge with Wooden Cottage, Tudor Mansion, and Roof. I don't own any sewers (and love sewers 💩) so will pick that as my core set. I already have a castle set (WizKids Mage Knight castle), so passed on the Castle and Tower sets for now.

It *is* hard to plan a purchase when you don't know how you'll be using the tiles. I just picked the sets to fill out my collection. Hope you find something that works for you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CED1106, it is not definite that the next KS will be sci-fi.

When asked during their last live Facebook video Q&A of the campaign they said things were still in discussion but that it was likely their next D&L KS will be, to paraphrase, “swamp biome focused, or perhaps some other outdoor biome.” This was said without a lot of emphasis, almost in passing, and that they still had other surprises in the works for sci-fi…. Which seemed cryptic to me. 

Mrs. GG and I think outdoor biomes for D&L would be a mistake but maybe they will surprise us. 

Edited by Grumpy Gnome
Added additional information
  • Like 1

Ugh, despite the huge financial upside of this coming from my EU stablemate Poland, the need to reserve dwindling funds for the VAT/Customs bill for Bones V meant I ducked out of this in the last few minutes. I agree it was a monstrously confusing KS, but when you deciphered it all the value of the Village pledge was Reaper-level staggering by the end. 

I've convinced myself I'm going to prioritise painting my Bones V townsfolk and Brinewind terrain in its entirety to compensate.

Then maybe scratchbuild a tavern to put it all in.

Or I could just wait until the next D&L fantasy KS in a year or so... So probably that.

Edited by Tordelback
  • Sad 1

Has anyone seen a good breakdown of how much D&L one would need to build a 3x3 skirmish table, preferably with multiple levels? I haven’t really managed to try out any standard RPGs, so not sure hallways and rooms will be super useful. But a city landscape for something like Frostgrave or Burrows and Badgers is very intriguing. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tasso said:

Has anyone seen a good breakdown of how much D&L one would need to build a 3x3 skirmish table, preferably with multiple levels? I haven’t really managed to try out any standard RPGs, so not sure hallways and rooms will be super useful. But a city landscape for something like Frostgrave or Burrows and Badgers is very intriguing. 

Thanks!

I don’t have a number for you, but Dana Howl is basically doing that on her YouTube channel, with stuff from D&L2 (primarily the Fantasy Core Set).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9vDvk4mOTXc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpmD_AhcwIs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1