APRIL 2021 :: Getting To Know You Thread

TGP

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question April 3rd — Do you remember dreams very well? 

Bonus weekend activity: recount some, if they were non-nightmares and family friendly, happy sorts of things.

Only non-fun dreams. I get weird bad dreams when I get too hot while sleeping. Then if I stay too hot the dreams keep going. While awake.

Sux.

• Like 7

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Bonus weekend activity: recount some, if they were non-nightmares and family friendly, happy sorts of things.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Naturally, most of the ones I remember are either weird as heck, or qualify as nightmares.

I'm still trying to figure out the selkie/zombie dream that was scary, but mostly weird. My head is an odd place sometimes.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Not often.  What I do remember doesn't make a lot of sense afterward.  Since COVID things have gotten even more scrambled.

5 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Lately, I seem to be dreaming about going to gaming conventions pretty regularly.  There’s clearly some COVID-era wish fulfillment going on with that.

Convention hotels are frequent locations of my more memorable dreams.  

• Like 7

14 hours ago, TGP said:

No, I rarely remember my dreams very well. Sometimes odd snippets pop out at me, but usually I forget them completely, except for the feeling that I had a very odd dream. 

Being pregnant was pretty strange, because at that time I was able to remember my dreams very well.

• Like 7

I remember my dreams all the time, very well. I don't know why the pets sleep with me at all, because I talk in my sleep every night. The first time I was made aware of this was when I was 14 at camp. I was chain reading Stephen King and dreamt I met him. Everyone was like "Oh, so that's what you were talking about". Many of my dreams are nice and I have modified the landscape around my home into fascinating braided rivers and Antelope Canyons. Unfortunately, I also have plenty of violent dreams of fistfights. I'm not at all pugnacious in my conscious life. Semi-conscious...

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I remember waking up in the hallway with a little old lady laying next to me. She was crying. I felt really bad for her, but my face was full of gauze and I was still coming to, so I let out a sympathy moan. The nurse saw I was mostly up and came to shoo me out. I was furious, I was going to take a swing at her because I wanted to protect the little old lady. My arms hadn't come to yet, so all I could manage was a "rrrrrrr".  It probably wasn't very intimidating. 

When I had my celiac test, they doped me to half-consciousness so they could put the camera down my throat. They said most patients don't remember it. I'm convinced I remember the entire process and finally passed out when they were done. I remember them saying "That's it, you're done."  I said "Already?" and that was it. 

• Like 9

My dreams are quite vivid and I frequently remember them. Some lucky times, I'm able to remember multiple that I had in the same night.

It is very easy for me to connect where my brain got ideas for dreams. If I went to a park, there will likely be a larger part of my dream associated with nature. If I played a game, sometimes the art style or characters will pop up.

For example, a dream I had a few weeks ago was clearly inspired by my day out with my best friend and ReaperCon excitement (yes, I am fully vaccinated and still careful). During the day, we went to a plant nursery and had a sushi date. Even though our birthdays are several months apart, we called it a joint birthday celebration since it was our first time out. ReaperCon was also announced just a few days ago and I was still pretty hyped about it.

So in my dream, we were celebrating a joint birthday for two of our friends, which was held in a large hall in a layout suspiciously like 2019 ReaperCon. There were many little fun friend details and interactions, like forumites there eating birthday cake. :lol:

This is also a big part of why I'm careful about what media I watch or play! I don't need any bad dreams to throw my day off.

• Like 7

On 4/2/2021 at 7:15 AM, TGP said:

Question April Second  Desserts! What is the most interesting thing ever offered to you for dessert??

I've tried such a wide variety of food over the years that according to my coworkers I've lost track of "interesting" 

On 4/3/2021 at 4:46 AM, TGP said:

Only if something wakes me up in the middle of one.  Otherwise no.

• Like 6

On 4/3/2021 at 5:46 AM, TGP said:

Like most people, sometimes? Unless I post about them the following day, details fade away pretty quickly.

The ones I remember the most were childhood dreams/nightmares. Like at age four, I dreamed about playing in the snow, and the city snowblower comes by and blows crude oil on me instead of snow. Or how my mother wanted me to drink orange juice WITH pulp (I was 6, simple so fears). Or how in the 70s, I was in basement living room (wall to wall carpet, dark colors, warm light, large central TV), under the Arctic, with a submarine type hatch to the surface, because it was Aquaman's lair.

As an adult, I had fevered dreams after my open heart surgery, during a heat wave. Felt almost like a TV movie with a cast of nameless characters. I posted about it years ago (2015). It wasn't a bad dream per say, but confusing as hell.

• Like 9

It was Red Velvet Cakes on a platter. In a fancy restaurant, where I was dining with an unusual grouping of people, in a dream.

The dream happened the morning of good Friday.

Yes I do. They are vivid, full-color, THX Dolby Audio, very detailed…

I am inclined to believe the research that hypothesizes dreaming happens in the REM stage and that if a dream is remembered it is because REM ended abruptly and conscious thought took over without much warning.

The Friday Morning Dream, in further detail, is also my answer to to the Interesting Desserts question:

It begins with me sitting at a long rectangular table. This is in a restaurant. A posh, fancy sort of place with real wood paneling on the walls, lights in sconces, formally dressed waiters, the works. (Really never been to a place like that.) The table had a nice crisp white tablecloth and it was one long table meant to seat twelve, but not 3 or 4 tables pushed together unevenly.

I wasn't alone, there were at least 10 other people dining. And they were a very strange group. Some were relatives. Others were television characters! My Aunt, or a younger version of her, was seated off to my right. Across from me was Thurston Howell, the third. (Actor Jim Bacchus, in character, from Gilligan's Island.) 

The dream sorta faded in at the point where the plates from the main course had been cleared away. The waitstaff was bringing in dessert, coffee was being poured. At that point Thurston's dessert order arrived. 

It was a teak platter, pointed at two ends, with a round, turned pedestal foot in the middle. It held seven red velvet cakes arranged in a straight line. The middle cake was the fanciest:

Lady_red_velvet_8_400x.jpg?v=1593273503

The middle one was tall and narrow like that ^ only with side frosting that was more solid. No sloppy drizzle. Fancy frosting effects — yes. Cupcakes no. The side frosting was two colors. It did stairstep inward at the top. It was only about 6 inches diameter at the base. The next set of cakes outboard to either side were more like five inches diameter, then only 4 inches, then the final pair were just 3 inches diameter. The cakes also got shorter the further they were from center.

The outboard cake was frosted red (but I think the red was chocolate flavour?) and then it had a fancy cream cheese frosting swirl on top. The next cake  was white frosting on the bottom, a smaller red frosted section on top, and topped off by a fancy swirl of white frosting. The inboard cake went red, white in the middle, red on top, and the same swirl. That was the left side. On the right side the frosting colours were reversed, so all the swirls were the red chocolate.

That was just Thurston's order!

My order showed up next. Apparently, I had ordered something called 'dessert sampler'. A big silver and crystal platter with about seven kinds of pies and cakes on it. And they were full sizes, where my expectation was maybe two bites of each thing.

Then I looked around and most of the rest of the people had settled for, "just coffee", or they were skipping dessert.  So I decided offer shares and It was nice, several people smiled and looked happier which was a nice feeling.

I woke up before old Thurston could decide if he was going to be similarly generous or if he was keeping all his cakes…so I didn't get to try one.

• Like 7

Question, April 5th: Poseidon and Athena, both Greek Olympian deities, had a contest to have the people name a city for them. Poseidon gifted the people the horse and Athena gave them the olive tree. Athena won; Athens is named for her. If you were an Olympian, what would you gift your people in hopes of winning the contest?

Edited by TGP
Suggested by Great Khan Artist; pasted as RichText via a desktop
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question, April 5th: Poseidon and Athena, both Greek Olympian deities, had a contest to have the people name a city for them. Poseidon gifted the people the horse and Athena gave them the olive tree. Athena won; Athens is named for her. If you were an Olympian, what would you gift your people in hopes of winning the contest?

Sir Forscale, so that everyone would always have an exact measurement.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, TGP said:

Dragons. Everyone should have a dragon companion. Keep us all honest. ;p

• Like 9
  • Haha 4