TGP

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TGP said:

🕳️

Question, April 7th: What flower are you most looking forward to seeing bloom in the spring?

Another vote for all of them!

If I had to pick a specific one, a nearby churchyard has these in it:-

purpleflower-bee.jpg

(Not my picture)

No idea what they are but I'm fascinated by them every year.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Question, April 7th: What flower are you most looking forward to seeing bloom in the spring?

I know very little about flowers in general, but I do like seeing fruit trees in full blossom. I heard the Japan's cherry blossoms are early this year.

cherry-blossom-facts-1578344148.jpg

55a09d762ddecb93e4078b0500050eea.jpg

As it is, I still have to wait a month for the trees to even start sprouting leaves. So I'll need to be patient.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

🕳️

I'd really like to see some crocuses bloom this spring (yes it's a little early for them here still). My wife planted a ton of bulbs in the fall, but it appears that the roving gang of urban deer like eating crocus bulbs (who knew, we've never had that issue before) so if we could at least get some blooms she might be slightly less annoyed at the deer.....

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TGP said:

🕳️

All of the native ones! It's Spring Ephemeral season right now and there's all kinds of good stuff blooming. I've gone out a couple of times looking for Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria) this year but haven't found any yet. It should be blooming until late May, but it's been a very warm spring, so I doubt I'll be finding it that late in the season. I know of one place where I can always find it, but that's a little gorge behind a school for the deaf. And even though I have permission to enter their property for research purposes, entering it just to look for some cool plants is kind of a jerk move. 

One plant my partner and I are going to go looking for later this spring is Ghost Pipe (Monotropa uniflora). It should start emerging soon, if it's not already, and although it's typically a summer bloom I've been seeing it growing in spring in recent years as the season keeps get warmer earlier. So I'm counting it as a spring bloom. It's a parasitic plant that lacks chlorophyll and I've only ever encountered it in bloom once in 2018. We expect to find it in Desonier Nature Preserve down in Athens County on the Appalachian Plateau, in case any of you mid westerners are looking to find it yourselves. Here's a couple of poorly focused pictures from the last time we found it. It's fantastic stuff:

20180728_150428.thumb.jpg.395620e07f87462f981a2da5c6ff62d5.jpg

20180728_145520.thumb.jpg.6b8fef2581a29c2905be1d8d0c30b70c.jpg

• Like 10

6 hours ago, TGP said:

🕳️

Oof. Any of them! This place doesn’t have a lot of flowers the way Olympia does. I miss cherry trees, I miss daffodils, I miss rhododendrons. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, TGP said:

🕳️

I watch for crocuses first. Usually the first week of March.  Then I know winter is over. The hyacinth come after that.  They come in late March with the forsythia.  Now the tulips are up, and the redbud has started to bloom.  The yard is full of violets.  At this point it's spring and I know I should have started the garden two weeks ago.  Next are the irises and the lilacs, followed by daylilies, and then coneflowers.  Then it will no longer be spring. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

I watch for crocuses first. Usually the first week of March.  Then I know winter is over. The hyacinth come after that.  They come in late March with the forsythia.  Now the tulips are up, and the redbud has started to bloom.  The yard is full of violets.  At this point it's spring and I know I should have started the garden two weeks ago.  Next are the irises and the lilacs, followed by daylilies, and then coneflowers.  Then it will no longer be spring. 

That all sounds lovely!!! :wub:

I got a little excited on my walk today and took some photos of tiny blooms that are "weeds."  The photos themselves are meh quality since I was testing a new camera app. I didn't bother editing them.

These are some teeny tiny ones in my yard.

pixlr.thumb.jpg.9cf44bc5b8108bcbd5de783a216ab037.jpg

These are some along the sidewalk.

pixlr_20210407175205569.thumb.jpg.83b56a63a1aac205278ab58f9d8b4feb.jpg

And a little buddy!

1398349115_FJIMG_20210407_1703042.thumb.jpg.b50a10ca1bbf79f6b2acc66cdb623ca5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, TGP said:

🕳️

Since I move to Texas, it is the Blue Bonnets I look for every year. They are among the first flowers of Spring. The roadsides are becoming a sea of lovely little lavender blue flowers now.

• Like 9

Question, April 8th: You are a Jedi Knight or a Sith, what colour... (described as a colour name from one of Reaper’s paint lines) ...What colour is your LightSaber?

Edited by TGP
Suggested by CrankyDog
  • Like 5