So in my search, I think I've narrowed down my choices to the following printers:

Elegoo

Mars Pro 2

Mars 2

Phrozen

Sonic Mini 4k

While the Phrozen gives me the 4k, big build plate etc etc, it's not actually at the top of my wanted list. Elegoo is more of my thinking for a new printer. I've seen prints done on a Mars Pro 2 that to be honest, look just as good as Sonic Mini 4k. Still, I have the cash right now to get any of the ones above. Anyone have anything to push any of these 3 over the other?

I also seen the 8k printers are on the horizon, so just like anything tech, you buy today, it'll be outdated by the time you get it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My recent research had me narrowed down to the M2P and SM4K. I ended up with the SM4K and have been happy so far. I have used the Atlas Minis support Discord quite a bit for learning the ropes after finding them via the support Discord for Archvillain Games since they were my first Patreon.

• Like 1

I'm kinda leaning towards those 2 as well. I like the M2P mainly due to Elegoo's rep, but it is a 2K screen, but still it's capable machine. On the other hand the SM4K is 4K, has a bigger plate volume & it appears to be a popular printer + figure if I'm gonna get a new printer, it might as well be 4K.

I guess it'll come down to reviews, which what I'm looking at right now.

Well after reading various reviews & websites, the decision has been made. Big A will have it delivered tomorrow. Helped that my daughter needed something on Big A for her cosplay that she needs by next Friday. (& I'm the one with Prime)

I think I'm gonna be happy with the new printer. I'll keep the Photon S & I'll run it too if I can figure out what the hell is going on with it. I'll be honest, it's been fun to print with, but a major pain when I see everyone else's clear prints & such, thou I think I chalk that one up my incompetence in trying to get the setting right. It doesn't help I kept the printer in the box for like 7 months before diving into it. I've been happy thou just getting pieces printed for the table. Today's game would have been the first one that wouldn't have had pieces I've gotten for the printer, not on the table. Small thing but it felt off & one I don't want to do again.

Oddly, at first I was, I don't care for the lift off lid & prefer the door style of the Photon S. Now after taking it apart to put in the LCD screen & messing with the printer on the table & having used the Wash N Cure station, it doesn't bother me as much & tbh I think I prefer the lift off lid. Thou, I may not say that after printing something & the opening it afterwards, :lol:. The new printer is not a Anycubic, thou thanks to a bracket in the WnC, I'll still able able to use it just like it was a Anycubic build plate. Which is great as I really like that for cleaning the plate after a print.

I didn't order any resin, figured I'll use up my existing bottles before doing that. Also I think this time around, I'll stick with the major names in the resin business like Elegoo or even Anycubic. You can find great no-name resins, I just don't want to deal with the hassle of them in the new printer.

As far as 8k vs 4k or 2k, I look at it like current tech. Oh look like I got a Samsung S10 Sweet! Oh look they are coming out with the S21 now. Still whatever helps the tech & hobby is fine by me, just nothing I need to keep up on.

• Like 2

Grump and I have a race going on.

The first that sees the Saturn IN STORE at Amazon and buys it gets bragging rights.

We may break down and get something else, but that's our plan.

I have already gone through a GALLON of resin! WTAF?!

• Haha 3

With the 5K screens around the corner and the bigger printers coming into their own, unless I had to have a printer I'd wait. The prices are just going to keep coming down for the existing ones and the new ones are going to debut at those prices in most instances.

1 hour ago, JoeGKushner said:

With the 5K screens around the corner and the bigger printers coming into their own, unless I had to have a printer I'd wait. The prices are just going to keep coming down for the existing ones and the new ones are going to debut at those prices in most instances.

Tbh, I'm not worried about higher res right now. I've got active games on Saturday that needs minis. Eventually, I'll fix the Photon S, but right now I'm very happy with getting the Sonic Mini. If I need bigger prints, I've got the Ender 6 or I can print out multiple pieces & glue them. It's cool they are coming out with 5k & such, but like all tech items, what you buy now is pretty much outdated by tomorrow.

I just need to print an adapter I got off thingiverse for the Wash n Cure. I was going to just mod the bracket, but some reason I looked on the net if someone had made a metal bracket. I'll take an adapter that I can print thou.

• Like 2

The appearance of the very high-rez screens and much larger build plates are interesting to me for the future, but until the cost of resin comes down I doubt that I'd get all that much benefit from them. I'm paying an average of about hundred NZ bucks per litre (and much, MUCH more if I wanted specialty resins like investment casting resin), and though the resin I use on any given model isn't much, it soon mounts up. Any really big models would be financially untenable for my sad, deflated wallet.

• Like 1

Honestly I think the most room for improvement is in the software for slicers. They have come a long way in a relatively short time and I am looking forward to seeing where they head next. A better auto-orient and auto-support system would be great. Easier means to scale minis would be great too.

The mentioned printers all print at a quality of Bones Black give or take (some even better), which is solid for quality for gaming.

• Like 2

3d printer choices.  I am still learning as I go.  Mine is dealing with how to make what I have work better.  Changing out the print bed making changes to the base code driver, and figuring out which slicer works best.  I am also looing for a 3d modeling software for me to design in.  And mostly look for time to learn and do all of that.

Spoiler

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a 8K printer if it gets me 25um resolution(or something close to it), but any printer with such high resolution will need a much more sturdy Z-axis than what my Photon has. The way the print plate is affixed to it must also be improved in order to make it more sturdy. 

The Photon has a single screw on top of the mount to fasten it. That's just not enough. There's enough play in the parts that it can move slightly.   

23 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I like the idea of a 8K printer if it gets me 25um resolution(or something close to it), but any printer with such high resolution will need a much more sturdy Z-axis than what my Photon has. The way the print plate is affixed to it must also be improved in order to make it more sturdy. 

The Photon has a single screw on top of the mount to fasten it. That's just not enough. There's enough play in the parts that it can move slightly.   

Actually, 8K won't make the resolution better, per se.  What it will do is make a large print bed machine (~10 inch) with the resolution of the SM4K (35um).  Today, to get a print bed bigger than 6", you have to project the image, losing some resolution.  The bigger the bed, the more resolution lost.  Unless they start making screens with smaller pixels (like use phone screen tech or something), the doubling of the number of pixels just increases the screen size.  So technically it doesn't change the available resolution, but does allow for a bigger machine with the same resolution as a smaller machine.

• Like 2

I can live with 35um if it gets me a rock solid 10" machine. 

It will have to be really solid because at that size the weight of the print plate will come into swing... 

But a sub-25um machine at 7 - 8" would be sweet!

The KUDO3D Micro is supposed to be able to do 15um, but only a 15x15x150mm build volume... 

And I'm not even certain what it costs, or even where to get it. 

(Their Bean printers have been priced to 'we don't really want to be in the consumer market any more' prices, looks to be shipping with their old, flawed vats, and their forum seems to have vanished... )