Posted (edited)

MOD VOICE:

As a (hopefully) quick and easy solution to the current squabble, why don't we just use the font/color/style/whatever was used in the posting of the April 1 question? That shows up just fine to me on both daytime and nighttime modes, on both a desktop and my phone.

I use daylight mode, and I don't see any difference in the questions for April 1 and April 2; I turned on nighttime mode and can see the difference. 

To be clear: using the 'bold' function or the automatic/default color are the most preferred choices. Using some of the other 'darker' colors doesn't work; they disappear on nighttime mode. 

This is the quote function:

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question April 3rd — Do you remember dreams very well? 

Bonus weekend activity: recount some, if they were non-nightmares and family friendly, happy sorts of things.

This is copy and paste rich text:

Question April 3rd — Do you remember dreams very well? 

This is copy and paste plain text:

Question April 3rd — Do you remember dreams very well? 

Which one is preferable to dark users?

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/1/2021 at 12:16 AM, TGP said:

April: This is a direct quote edited from the first day, pretending that this would be the new question. Testing on mobile.

I'll test what happens next when I quote that.

Edit: nested quotes and their text still disappear.

this text is copied and edited from the question using my Android phone. I'm using the options that pop up when I select some text and hold it.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

To de-clutter the actual get to know you thread, do your troubleshooting/testing here, please. 

This should be the first post in this thread, I'm not sure why it's not showing that way.

Anyway, that's irrelevant.

I lost a few posts trying to move them here, for that I apologize to the original poster.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Morihalda

To everyone: please have a civil discussion here. Use this thread to do tests to see what works or doesn't work. Hopefully, a solution can be found. Since we're talking about computers versus phones (and phones have more than one operating system), please keep in mind that there may not be a perfect solution. We may need to agree on the 'least bad' work around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There's rarely an easy fix. I've noted this for another site wherein a similar problem is had, and an easy solution has not been found there, either.

I noticed that the question that started the discussion couldn't be forced to be a more readable colour when I quoted it, but I could change the background to something more readable. 

That struck me as weird at the time, but there's probably some kind of formatting weirdness involved that I am not seeing, likely because WYSIWYG and I don't know how to force the editor to show me the formatting tags and that is not relevant to this specific discussion.

So, if I do Bold and green, which is at least readable in the dark-mode editor, is it still readable in light mode, and what happens if it is quoted? Because if there's a colour that's readable in both modes, maybe the simplest fix is to pick a colour that's readable in both modes and use that instead of the white/black.

• Like 3

There is one magic color that is visible in both Darkmode and Lightmode. 

The April 1st, April 3rd, and the March 16th questions all got whatever that font color is. Note that March 16 was posted before the current Darkmode was even rolled out. 

I don’t quite understand how it is functioning or disfunctioning yet. I have no idea what I did differently on Mar 16! Which was the one March question I posted covering for @Morihalda  

I’m sad I lost some of my test posts, I’ll have to try them again I guess. The posting option that has reliably worked twice for me so far is to 1) post from a desktop machine and 2) use the drop downs to set the font.

Anyway, thanks for decluttering the April thread Chaos. 

This one could maybe use a change of title. The issue is the way Darkmode displays fonts and it is not specific to the GTKY threads. Any older thread where font options were used could have some of these problems. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Copied and edited from the question using my Android phone. I'm using the options that pop up when I select some text and hold it.

opied and edited from the question using my Android phone. I'm using the options that pop up when I select some text and hold it.

Same text highlighted in both attempts. 
Used the phone. 
Upper one was made with the quote button.
Lower one created by tapping “Copy” option and then doing “Paste”.

Oh nice. 
The second one is unreadable in both modes!

Edited by TGP
Achievement Unlocked!! (<_<)
  • Haha 2

Fun with @Sylverthorne’s test of green. 

“So, if I do Bold and green, which is at least readable in the dark-mode editor, is it still readable in light mode...”

(Pasted as ^ rich text.)

“So, if I do Bold and green, which is at least readable in the dark-mode editor, is it still readable in light mode...”

(Pasted as ^ plain text.)

Viewed in Lightmode: All formatting of any sort lost on the plain text one. Penciling that in as inconvenient feature rather than bug...

(Edit) Viewed in Darkmode: they are both messed up. Bummer. 

Edited by TGP
Added Dmode results. : /

GONNA DO SOME HARDCORE COLOR TESTING RED

GONNA DO SOME HARDCORE COLOR TESTING RED FF0000

GONNA DO SOME HARDCORE COLOR TESTING GREEN 00FF00

GONNA DO SOME HARDCORE COLOR TESTING BLUE 0000FF

Did that toggle it off..?

Edited by TGP

:down:

:blush:  :rolleyes:

:rock:  :upside:  :wow:

:devil:  :angry:  :blush:  :grr:

:blues: 11 of the Emojin that do not quite work in darkmode. (Problem level extremely minor.)

Fault seems to be that whoever drew them did not future-proof them against the possibility of being used on a dark background. 

8 hours ago, TGP said:

No, although blue is the hardest to see.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, Morihalda said:

this text is copied and edited from the question using my Android phone.

Testing.

I'm able to edit this without issue on my android phone.

I'm happy to do questions until it's resolved, which seem to be forum side and resolved by Kit once he's covered the million other things on his plate.

It will need to be brought to his attention at some point though, or he won't know it's an issue. It seems like the two main issues are that the Font and Size drop down menus are missing from mobile view and that manual coding is not possible. Fixing either of these will likely help the issues users are having with dark mode.

Edited by Morihalda