Finally the weekend!  What a wait it felt like to get here.  

20210403_114135.thumb.jpg.02889659f336cc2c574ad4ca83b0db6a.jpg

With it being the Easter weekend, I figured it'd be fitting to do some bunnies.  I had hoped to make these for a family member and ship them out, but that didn't pan out.  However, getting them painted is still better than not.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:

*  The butterscotch coloring I saw on some rabbits on Whidbey Island, I couldn't help but use as inspiration.  Matching them to how they came out, I'd say was better than I expected.

*  Using very, very simple colors and just pushing the colors up with mixing them worked great!

*  Making the details come out more by using very faint streaks of diluted paint worked great to give the impression of individual hairs sticking through.  I think this will be used in other models I do as well.  

*  Eyes have a nice pop to them, but was thinking some more color would be good.

Misses:

*  I was thinking of putting some wash in there to bring forward the creases, but I didn't want to lose that fun color.  Any suggestions?

*  The eyes have a strangeness to them by highlighting the eye lids.  Would you all suggest doing dark instead of light around the eyes?

*  Speaking of eyes I wasn't sure if putting a spot of white in there was good or not, so I held off.  

Pretty happy with how this little bunny came out.

20210326_164031.thumb.jpg.41e5e4e3b753dc8497a9e400ae8afe91.jpg

20210403_133714.thumb.jpg.56ed10e12ab3e32f51737cb6367e80cc.jpg

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 12
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your bunny looks great. I hope somebody tries to paint one to look like @haldir’s Thumper. 

By the way, I have always spelled it “Wascally”. Now I am wondering if my ears are just supplying a double LL where Mel Blanc did not use them. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

@TGPi was just going for phonetically sounding rather than what is probably the right spelling.  I say the win is that you got the joke.

You got the link for that other rabbit you were talking about?  I'd love to see it. 

I would leave the eyes alone. You just risk wrecking them by doing anything else. 

The one thing I would try if I had as much brush control as you would be to paint the sclera and Iris (the eyeball) with some gloss varnish. That might give you a real white highlight when it is photographed. 

1 minute ago, R2ED said:

@TGPi was just going for phonetically sounding rather than what is probably the right spelling.  I say the win is that you got the joke.

You got the link for that other rabbit you were talking about?  I'd love to see it. 

I don’t have a link. But if you check the daily randomness thread there are 4-5 pictures of Thumper posted in that thread. It is in the Off-Topic section. 

Warning: it’s a loooong thread, start at the end and work backward!

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, R2ED said:

*  I was thinking of putting some wash in there to bring forward the creases, but I didn't want to lose that fun color.  Any suggestions?

*  The eyes have a strangeness to them by highlighting the eye lids.  Would you all suggest doing dark instead of light around the eyes?

*  Speaking of eyes I wasn't sure if putting a spot of white in there was good or not, so I held off.  

1 you may use oil washes, then wipe the excess using a make-up sponge: due to the lower surface tension it will not tint the top of the fur, laying just into the crevices;  
2 the eyes look good IMHO, they are just lacking reflections;
3 you may hi-light black eyes using a bright bluish grey, just a small dot.

Anyway they already look great as they are ;)

• Thanks 1

@Cicciopiu thank you!  I've tried oil wash before, but don't come out with good results.  I need to do a mini I'm not afraid to mess up on.  I like the idea and have the supplies for it, just need to commit to doing it. 

For the eyes i was going to gloss them, but i like your idea of the grey blue.  I'll try it!   Once I've based and competed, I'll post in show off. 

Thank you for the tips! 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      It's the weekend, and you know what time it is!

Sadly, I've been finishing off quite a few minis for the Bones 5 paint club thing a few of us participate in, but I haven't been posting the work as I finish it.  Thought I'd take a little bit of time to catch up and do some posts on the work.  Obviously, these still need to be based and possibly put into a diorama, but I always find it helpful to share and get your input on what you think, too.  Let's get to it.

BATTLE REPORT!

I wanted to try doing 5 different colors and rock formations with these boulderkin models.  I think it's pretty safe to say I'm venturing away from "realism" and more doing it for the color values.  I learned a lot and enjoyed doing these fun little rock dudes.

Blue:

Wins -
      * Learned that dark to light colors and keeping the blues in the same cool value was a big help.  Often I venture into different shades of blue and don't quite grasp why it looks so weird.  This time I really tried to keep to cool blues and mixing them in to each other so they transition wasn't as stark - I mean, aside from the highlights.
      * Still refining the drybrushing technique and pushing what I can do with it.  There's only so many of those dang Artis Opus videos I can watch without becoming frustrated thinking, "How can I not do this?"  I needed to try and feel the results were decent.
      *  The eyes on him look the most natural of all of them.  Just a simple black dot seems to have worked.  Keeping him looking off-center is the way to go.  Something I woudl learn on the others soon after.

Misses:
      * Using my regular dry palette on this is a mistake with drybrush.  It really needs to be a medium that allows the paint to lose a little moisture.  As long as I move fast, it's not an issue, and I really don't need as much paint as I was putting down.  There's a big win that comes from this when I get to the Red/Yellow boulderkin.
      *  sky blue color may be a bit bold, but still looks good.  

Brown:

Wins - 
      *  The browns look natural enough, but needed to be really pushed for highlight.  Neutral tones seem to need a bit more focus on color value.  
      *  Using a cream color to push up wasn't good enough, so went back to a sky grey and it helped.
      *  Using a nuln oil wash to deepen the cracks worked great.

Misses - 
      * Eyes.  Sucked.
      *  The teeth separation looked a little strange, so I tried to fix this on the Grey boulderkin.

Grey:

Wins - 
      *  Basic rock color palette.  I did try to mix a little warmth of the cream color into this one too, but it didn't work as well.  Covered again with grey - win.
      *  Nuln Oil really helped bring out the cracks.  Then dry brushing over that again was a big win.
      *  Overall the transitions for this guy is pretty tame, but if I were going for just "rock" look it works.

Misses -
      *  The most basic of colors and looks.  I wasn't wow'ed when I finished.
      *  Eyes sucked again.
      *  Drybrushing had a miss with a few spots where I didn't realize the brush was a little damp and streaked some of my work.  

Green:

Wins - 
      *  Changed my palette to a piece of paper to drybrush off of and I was shocked to see how much better I could pull the moisture out and get a good result.  No paper towels were hurt in the making of this model.
      *  Moving much faster on my 3 colors on the palette was a benefit. Having a better understanding of how the colors were working with each other as I stacked them was a big advantage.  
      *  Using my black/green ink wash (Matte medium, Black ink (DR), Green ink (DR), flow improver) really brought out the recesses with very little pooling.  May switch from my nuln oil to this wash mix.  Me likey!

Misses -
      * The color is just not strong enough to represent green, imo.  I tried to lighten it with a different shade of green and may have lost the color I was going for.
      *  The green just doesn't seem to fit?  Maybe I'll cover this guy with some moss and make it look more 'earthy'.
      *  Had a difficult time getting into some of the areas to really drive home the dry brushing.  I'll have to keep that in mind as I work on others that have hard to reach spots.

And finally - my favorite!

Lava:

Wins - 
      *  Going in reverse order on the colors to get a glowing effect was AWESOME!  
      *  Started with a grey primer, layed down a white ink wash to bring out the recess and leave some darker color on the rock, went to yellow dry brush, then used a bright yellow ink wash on the cracks, then to red, then to bright red.  Really helped sell that glowing internally effect.
      *  Areas that somehow didn't have drybrush coat or the grey still showed through, I used the yellow ink wash to go over the missing spots, but it was so nice and tranparent it didn't affect the red tones.  WIN!
      *  Mix for the ink wash:  Yellow DR ink, and a couple of drops of liquitex air brush thinner - big win!  No running, no pooling, and gave the ink enough grab without being watery.  Must do again.
      *  The yellows stayed nice and bright in the cracks with this wash and I can't believe how nicely it went in reverse order light to dark.

Misses -
      *  The eyes yet again sucked.  I was going to leave them a glowing white, but decided to do a red dot.  Miss.
      *  The yellow is pretty hard to work with, so using the white base coat was helpful, but must be vigilant to watch for spots it just didn't coat well.  Two coats or three may be needed.
      *  Mouth feels like it needs something else to it.  I kind of thought about going back and highlighting some of the rocks, but opted not to.  Something is just a little off...

Overall, these three were all done with drybrushing, which I'm learning to LOVE.  I can cover many more models this way and feel like the work is good and if I want to go back and use regular methods to paint them, I can easily do that.  

Let me know what you think and if you have done yours.  

I also need some ideas on how to base these.  I was thinking of doing a fun diorama that had 5 sides and each side had the representing rock carved out where these guys are standing in.  Maybe?

• By R2ED
      These were all done at different times with three different approaches, but all of them came out pretty good an I'm happy with this whole dry brushing method I've taken to.

BATTLE REPORT!

Dire Wolf 1 (Left)

Wins -
      *  Skin color looks great.  Did a light brown to a buff color.  Helped bring up the textures.
      *  Used a nuln oil between the fur and the skin, which gave it kind of a cool faded effect.  
      *  Sky grey color seems a bit strong.  It helped show the highlights, but it may be a bit strong.
      *  Purple/brown mix of inks in the mouth worked well, but should have gone with other colors for the muscles exposed.
      On a 1 to 10, I'd score this one a 5.5.

Misses -
      *  Purple ink was a bit strong.  I was going for open sore look, but it just looks like he stepped in purple paint.
      *  Could have gone back over the exposed muscle and skin areas with matching skin tones, but got lazy.  Wah wah.

Dire wolf 2 (Middle)

Wins -
      *  Used my new drybrush palette I made from corkboard (works like a charm!) and really helped with getting a good paint laydown with no streaking.
      *  The color of the wolf's skin was 2 tones: Beige Red to Buff.  Worked pretty good!  I was thinking of a kind of reddish "I've been eating bloody things" look.
      *  The other two wolves were done with all black primer.  This one was done with Grey.  
      *  I then washed the wolf with a black/green wash I made and it really settled nicely into the grey.  Will do again!  This also helped keep the high points light.
      *  Wolf fur color: Black Red to Flat Brown (should have been a lighter tone), to grey highlighted tips, to white.
      *  Used a red ink with a mix of airbrush thinner and it worked great for the wet blood effects.  
      *  Used ivory to hit the exposed bones, but usually it's really chalky.  Used the airbrush thinner to thin the paint - wow.  GREAT results.  LOVE THIS. Now I just keep a small bottle from dollar store full of it next to the paints.  Highly recommend.

Misses -
      *  Got a little carried away with the blood effects and can kind of see it in the bones area.
      *  Ivory on top exposed bones looks a little much...maybe.  Should tone it down?
      *  Need to do a lighter color of 2nd tone on the fur.  Also noted that the fur with the grey base coat was hard to cover.  Maybe doing a black paint over the spine of it would have been good and then dry brush that.  We'll see in future creatures.
      *  Having trouble pulling the color of the fur in browns up.  I didn't want to go with white or grey, but I couldnt' get the browns to pop, so ended up with ol' faithful.  Would love any suggestions here to help the brown lighten.

Dire wolf 3 (The biggin')

Wins - 
      *  Used Golden acrylic paste to fill in gaps.  WORKS GREAT!  Less messy than the usual milliput.  Unknown at this point how well it holds over time, but we'll find out because I've put it into like 10 models now.  Seems to prime fine.
      *  Primed in black and went in order on lightening up: Skin first, then fur, then went to bones last.  
      *  Did the fur again with a dark color: black brown and then went to a grey color to lighten it.  
      *  Skin tone is made with an orange brown to buff.  I like the combo, but it looks a bit strange.  The pop of color is good, though.
      *  Purple and muscle areas worked well on this one.

Misses -
      *  Feel like the face should be a different color to match the skin of the body.  Maybe?  
      *  Nails and paws should be a different color, but I couldn't come up with what to do with them.
      *  Went a bit crazy on the bone color.  Should have known about the method on the ivory in Dire Wolf 2...but Dire wolf 2 was actually the last one I did.  

Pretty happy with the outcome on all 3.  Different approaches to each and learned a lot from each.  

Also, this is the dry palette I made for dry brushing.  I bought a clear cutting mat and a corkboard adhesive board and stuck them together.  Voila!  It soaks up paint like a champ and makes for a great flat surface.  Much less messy than the paper towels I'd been using.  I'm hoping this is something that works for others, too.  I mean, it's a 2 dollar solution!  

• By R2ED
      One of the two selections this week was the basilisk. I immediately knew I wanted to this guy as blue when I saw him, but didn't realize I'd go orange, too.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Started this one with a brush coating of the new dark purple from Bones 5.  I mean, you get these new colors, you gotta use 'em, right?
      *  Lightening up the purple to blues with rich indigo, then again to aquamarine.  I wanted the blue to really pop.  
      *  After getting all the blues in place it immediately occurred to me I wanted to go in a different direction.  I looked at the color wheel and saw orange on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Let's do it.  Used it as a filter to not lose the dry brushing color and it ended up making a cool skin effect.  Sweet!
      *  Using the orange now as my basis for something brighter and could lighten up, I placed it between all the scales and used it to bring forward the shadows.
      *  The shadows weren't bright enough, so I took the liberties of using an orange/yellow mix to show scales on the underbelly and match them to the little dots I found on this guy's skin.  With there only being a few dots they looked out of place, so I added some more dots to bring it out.  May have gone a little heavy handed...
      *  Taking a note from my Werewolf I did in a previous post, I used the Drakenshade for areas where the muscle or armor were and used it very sparingly.  Looks great and worked great!  Helped define the musculature.  

Misses:
      *  Eyes pop, but feel I could have made them better.
      *  I love the way the bone and horns look, but I'm not sure they work for this basilisk.  I originally had them as blue, but opted to keep them light.  Not sure how anyone else feels about this?
      *  The scales on the feet needed something and rather than going orange, I went with the blue seen above.  Again, seems pretty bright and I'm not totally sold on it, but it works.

This guy was fun, looks good overall, but also has a LOT going on for colors.  Obviously, this is a departure from classic basilisk colors, but then again - IT'S FANTASY!  I thought making the yellow areas look as though they are soft spots for a team to target.  Not sure it worked fully, but it was fun.  Win.

If you have any feedback or comments, please lay them on me.  I can't get better without some direction from the team.

• By R2ED
      It's the weekend, so you know what time it is...

BATTLE REPORT!

Along with all the Bones 5 I bought, there was a special on some Zombicide minis that were just too good to not buy.  This is one of the many that are in there, and I'm stoked to get this one done.

Wins:
      * Continuing my use of drybrushing and being very successful.  Did an overbrush this time to start with a dark brown.  Then drybrushed to orange brown.  Then lightened up to buff.  Worked great!
      *  Saving the last color for last - flat flesh.  I mixed this with matte medium and watered it down to kind of filter it and just use it to highlight the base colors.  Big win!
      *  Went back around with some nuln oil to darken down just the deep recesses and area between the muscles.  Starting to use the washes sparingly and only in very specific areas.  Also getting a better grasp on using which wash for what job.  
      *  Used Agrax Earthshade to create a transition between the fur and the body.  Win!
      *  The fur was the same 2 base colors as the skin, but then lightened up with gray.  Then taking the gray up another notch with white very lightly.  Then EVEN LIGHTER adding white in peaks and areas near the face.  
      *  The mouth is a combination of brown, then a purple ink, then breast cancer awareness pink mixed with a little of that purple to get the tongue.  Looks nice and dangerous!

Misses:
      *  I had another hard time with the nails on this guy.  I didn't want them dark, nor did I want them too dirty looking, so I had to use something lighter.  I feel like the grey is a fail, but it blends in.  
      *  Eyes were a mix of bone white, gray, and black dot.  Not impressed with it.  Something ominous and glowing would be better. 
      *  Got a little carried away on the werewolf's left ribcage.  I was using the drybrush to find the volumes, but thought, hey that needs some highlighting.  Wrong.  Right above the ribs there's a bit too much buff color.  Wah wah.

This guy came out great.  Even with a few errors in there, I'm super happy with the results and love using the matte/paint mix to blend in.  

As always - I love and grow from any feedback.  Send it my way - I gain a lot from it.
    • By R2ED
      It's the weekend, so you know what time it is...

BATTLE REPORT!

Along with all the Bones 5 I bought, there was a special on some Zombicide minis that were just too good to not buy.  This is one of the many that are in there, and I'm stoked to get this one done.

Wins:
      * Continuing my use of drybrushing and being very successful.  Did an overbrush this time to start with a dark brown.  Then drybrushed to orange brown.  Then lightened up to buff.  Worked great!
      *  Saving the last color for last - flat flesh.  I mixed this with matte medium and watered it down to kind of filter it and just use it to highlight the base colors.  Big win!
      *  Went back around with some nuln oil to darken down just the deep recesses and area between the muscles.  Starting to use the washes sparingly and only in very specific areas.  Also getting a better grasp on using which wash for what job.  
      *  Used Agrax Earthshade to create a transition between the fur and the body.  Win!
      *  The fur was the same 2 base colors as the skin, but then lightened up with gray.  Then taking the gray up another notch with white very lightly.  Then EVEN LIGHTER adding white in peaks and areas near the face.  
      *  The mouth is a combination of brown, then a purple ink, then breast cancer awareness pink mixed with a little of that purple to get the tongue.  Looks nice and dangerous!

Misses:
      *  I had another hard time with the nails on this guy.  I didn't want them dark, nor did I want them too dirty looking, so I had to use something lighter.  I feel like the grey is a fail, but it blends in.  
      *  Eyes were a mix of bone white, gray, and black dot.  Not impressed with it.  Something ominous and glowing would be better. 
      *  Got a little carried away on the werewolf's left ribcage.  I was using the drybrush to find the volumes, but thought, hey that needs some highlighting.  Wrong.  Right above the ribs there's a bit too much buff color.  Wah wah.

This guy came out great.  Even with a few errors in there, I'm super happy with the results and love using the matte/paint mix to blend in.  

As always - I love and grow from any feedback.  Send it my way - I gain a lot from it.
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)