Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
3rd animal done this weekend, but feeling good making some good progress. Still trying my best to commit to getting a few done every weekend.
* I watched another Dr. Faust painting video (the dude is my hero) and gathered some thoughts on how I wanted to approach this wolf. Browns, tans, and a pink little tail.
* The two tones of Rust (Dark and Light) blended well across the two fur areas. Bringing up the highlights from there was much easier using family of colors.
* Being VERY gentle with drybrushing and not rushing it, like I have in the past. Thanks to much feedback I took a different approach on this and feel like it improved the outcome.
* I deepened some of the areas with Agrax Earthshade, but it didn't come out with as much definition as I wanted, so I swapped out for a glaze of German Black/Brown and it helped them a lot. Win.
* Tusks look great, but took me about 5 different layers to get there.
* So...I clearly rushed my cleaning on this one and I kept finding more and more little mold lines. It was making me crazy. Shame on me!
* The mouth isn't as clean as it should be. The coloration could be a brighter pink or something.
* The exposed bone on the head the more I look at it, the less I like it. Not sure how I can improve this, though. Thoughts?
* Eyes, much like the bunnies were just black. Needs something else to help it pop.
* Is the pink tail weird?
* On the tail portion, I did laugh to myself making the nutsack stand out, but whoever made this model made that detail. I laughed, but it needed to be done. Sorry not sorry.
It took about an hour and a half, so I'm pretty happy with speed on this one. Next up - basing. Love the feedback if you've got any.
Finally the weekend! What a wait it felt like to get here.
With it being the Easter weekend, I figured it'd be fitting to do some bunnies. I had hoped to make these for a family member and ship them out, but that didn't pan out. However, getting them painted is still better than not.
* The butterscotch coloring I saw on some rabbits on Whidbey Island, I couldn't help but use as inspiration. Matching them to how they came out, I'd say was better than I expected.
* Using very, very simple colors and just pushing the colors up with mixing them worked great!
* Making the details come out more by using very faint streaks of diluted paint worked great to give the impression of individual hairs sticking through. I think this will be used in other models I do as well.
* Eyes have a nice pop to them, but was thinking some more color would be good.
* I was thinking of putting some wash in there to bring forward the creases, but I didn't want to lose that fun color. Any suggestions?
* The eyes have a strangeness to them by highlighting the eye lids. Would you all suggest doing dark instead of light around the eyes?
* Speaking of eyes I wasn't sure if putting a spot of white in there was good or not, so I held off.
Pretty happy with how this little bunny came out.
I realize it's not the weekend, but the week was quite busy and I'm happy to have got any of this done at all.
This little wizard's focus for me was going to be brighter colors and trying to do skin and hair better. I think it came out pretty well.
* The base color of red tone and highlighting upward to flesh tone seems to be a good mix.
* Keeping to adjacent colors on the color wheel made for a pleasing, eye-catching combo. I have to say using the reds, oranges, and browns was pretty fun.
* I did as much highlighting and avoiding washes as I could. This has been my practice over the last number of models I've done. I don't get how the videos show people just splashing it on for amazing results. I don't get it, can't seem to do it the same, so I resort to taking more time on starting dark and going light. Much like Dr. Faust's painting videos. I've learned much from watching him.
* Mixing paints is getting better. I used like colors to lighten and highlight and I'm getting a better balance and understanding of how they may look really different wet, but getting to know how they dry and differs greatly.
* The eyes worked better going in order of black first, white second, black third. I was doing a white, black, white and it made the eyes look weird. @Inarah pushed me to try something different and it's been working better.
* The brown hair with little highlights came out good and I'm trying to be very light in my touch to get subtle look versus stark. Win!
* The staff is okay. I tried to give it like some kind of weathered look or cool effect at the end, but it just didn't sing like I had hoped.
* On the back of his cape, there's a part that I tried shading inf that just didn't look believable to the eye. I tried to hit it a few times to catch the light and how to lighten the edgest, but it was lost on me. Fail.
*The skin on his hand held out has a funny look to it up close. I tried to bring out some of pads of his fingers and palm, but it doesn't look as good as I had hoped.
Overall it's another win, and I'm happy with the results.
Who's Online 10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)