Printing price question

So, I haven't jumped on the print your own stuff bandwagon yet, but I have been looking at 3d printed figures and scenery. And I've got a question I'm hoping you can help me with.

Hypothetical example:

I have found an orc barbarian figure that I MUST have. I have found several places on Etsy that will print it for me. The thing is, every place that can print the figure I want is charging a radically different price for it. A dollar or two I would understand, but I'm talking about differences of $5, $8, $10 or even more.

Why? What am I missing here?

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone printing on the cheapest printer with the cheapest resin while filling in plate space left over from their own projects as a side hustle can charge significantly less than someone who is really trying to make a business out of it. 

• Like 2

In general probably but I imagine it isnt quite that universal. Some people just charge different amounts for the same work. There are a variety of reasons for this like market exposure, opportunity cost, workload, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

So, it basically come down to quality then, right?

Sort of, at least it's fair to expect a higher quality if you pay more. On the other hand someone doing a side hustle isn't attaching costs the same way a business does so they could actually give you higher quality at a lower cost, but its a side hustle so they might charge more just because they don't care if they sell many. Or if you could have two people doing it as an actual business with both pricing fairly based on their cost, but one lives in San Francisco and the other lives in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa. At the same quality the one from San Francisco might cost significantly more simple because of the overhead cost of being in San Francisco rather than anything quality related.

So basically, look at sample pictures and reviews because, while there may be meaning behind the differences price, there is no way to know what that meaning is for any given etsy seller.

• Like 3

Cmorse has it all said better than I could have haha!

I'm not going to share shop names here cause that's just rude, but going through some shop reviews, here are a variety of printing examples that are selling at similar prices (first and third are resin).

https://i.etsystatic.com/iap/19aedc/2925989875/iap_640x640.2925989875_jhbhyxw9.jpg?version=0

Amanda on Twitter: "I got some nice 3D printed stuff in that I won on  @M0RT75 stream. The owlbear looks a bit bland and I'm going to have to do  something with

https://i.etsystatic.com/iap/6ac7cb/2989427729/iap_640x640.2989427729_3l0sqtzo.jpg?version=0

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 1:48 AM, Chaoswolf said:

So, I haven't jumped on the print your own stuff bandwagon yet, but I have been looking at 3d printed figures and scenery. And I've got a question I'm hoping you can help me with.

Hypothetical example:

I have found an orc barbarian figure that I MUST have. I have found several places on Etsy that will print it for me. The thing is, every place that can print the figure I want is charging a radically different price for it. A dollar or two I would understand, but I'm talking about differences of $5, $8, $10 or even more.

Why? What am I missing here?

People take a merchant tier on a Patreon to be able to sell the stuff.

Then they charge for the resin.

The Electricity/water/IPA and other stuff one needs.

Charge for the time ( cleaning/curing).

In the end it will be a price that is similar to a mini bought in a store.

If you own a printer yourself you will print a build plate full of stuff you want and it will be much cheaper in the end.

Of course if we're only talking about one or two minis and you have no desire to print yourself than yes, a mini is between 5 and 15 dollar/euro I guess.

Printing one yourself will be less than a dollar in resin.

• Like 2