Hi guys,

Been using the Vex for a few months. And in that time, I've had to replace the brass nozzle "paint tip"  (https://www.reapermini.com/search/vex/sku-up/29007) like 4 times. It either gets so clogged that no amount of cleaning will fix it, or the hole gets damaged and overly widened. 

Is this part supposed to be replaced or am I doing something wrong? 

I have only replaced that part when I have managed to lose it. It shouldn’t be that hard to clean, a thin wire or even an old airbrush needle should be enough. Any tool that might have a “grinding” action is going to ruin that piece the walls are very thin. It sounds like you may not be cleaning out paint frequently enough if it’s clogging like that. Make sure you are cleaning your needle as well.

• Like 1

I have a bottle of Winsor & Newton brush restorer that I will occasionally soak my airbrush nozzle in.  This stuff just eats acrylic paint and makes it very easy to remove any accumulated gunk that may be stuck inside.

I generally just fill a well in my ceramic pallet and soak the nozzle overnight.  then use the airbrush needle to very gently push the residue out the nozzle hole.

This is something I only do once in a while.  My regular cleaning process is to flush the cup out with water, wipe the cup clean, back-flush with some airbrush cleaner and spray out, rinse with water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the nozzle is getting damaged, you may be pressing too hard when you "seat" the needle. That is, when you push the needle forward and then tighten the needle chuck, don't press so hard on the needle that stretches out the opening of the nozzle--they're made of soft brass.

As for clogging, try running isopropyl alcohol through your nozzle as a part of your cleaning process. It will do a great job of breaking down paint. Be careful of the tools you use to clean the nozzle, however; avoid items which will scratch it, like wire brushes. You can use soft interdental brushes on an airbrush, and on the wide part of the nozzle.

There isn't much documentation (video or otherwise) on the Reaper VEX, but it's essentially a modified Badger Patriot 105, and there is a TON of useful information online for how to clean a Badger Patriot, how to assemble & disassemble it, etc.

• Like 1

On my Patriot, I take the nozzle and put it into a small airtight container, add some acetone, close it properly, then give it a good shake... 

Then I leave it for a while(usually an hour or so, unless something shiny catches my eye... ), and give it another good shake before it's time to rinse the nozzle clean.  

Any paint that survived the acetone can be removed with a soft brush or a Q-tip. 

Note; I use Acetone because I happen to have plenty of it(I use it for deep cleaning other stuff), and I know how dangerous it is and always take precautions. 

IPA is a decent replacement if you don't already have Acetone. Even 70%(some 'industrial cleaners' are 70% IPA) will do. 

Some nailpolish removers also contain Acetone and can be used, but they're a bit more expensive in use, and again, it's a nasty chemical. 

• Like 1

There may need to be some more troubleshooting, nozzle clogs like that shouldn't be normal unless there's either a problem with the paint, a problem with how you're thinning the paint, a problem with cleaning, or a problem with how you're seating the needle.

Let's start with - what paint and paint thinner are you using, how old is the bottle, and does the paint have a smooth lump free consistency?  I ask this because I sometimes use Createx Wicked Colors, and I found a bizarre reaction one time when I didn't completely clean the Stynlrez out of my cup before adding some of the createx. It turned to pudding and gummed/clogged everything up.

The IPA soak fixed it but it was a mess to clean up.

• Like 1