Monster Hunter World: The Board Game by Steamforged Games(now live)

Kuroneko

Edit: Kickstarter is now live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-the-board-game?ref=discovery&term=monster hunter

Launching April 20th, Monster Hunter World: The Board Game.

Kickstarter will run for 10 days

Lots of prelaunch information on this one, including rules info and contents. The minis look fantastic.

39968410_MHW-Entry-Pledge(1).thumb.png.021042fa04059495eb2e9b168775e89c.png1036979192_MHW-Core-Pledge-HLO(1).thumb.jpg.e03bd2e1f357ddbab47d3fc36ca819ea.jpg

242554221_MHW-All-In-HLO(1).thumb.jpg.02bb9b16217277664aa65297ca91b30b.jpg

Current confirmed monsters are Rathalos,Tobi-kadatchi, Anjarath, Great Jagras, Diablos, Nerigante, Barroth, Pukei Pukei and I'm pretty sure that I see a Teostra, Jyuratodus and a Kushala Daora in those images. The monsters look pretty much in scale to their digital versions, which is a pleasant surprise. Much, much more info on Steamforges main site, blog and YouTube channel.

I would be stunned if there wasn't more monsters to come. I'm particularly hoping for a Rathian, Kirin, Palicos and Legiana, along with the option to order extra monsters. How else am I going to be able to paint all of the colour variants otherwise? 

Edit, here's some renders of the Rathalos, Anjarath and Tobi-kadatchi

MHWtBG-Rathalos-Model.thumb.png.3eb2e1b56295718493d4cb1dea7dc9d6.png1996732759_MHWtBG-Anjanath-Model-min(1).png.fd5bf00d851fab92388f310fa22d3a4a.pngMHWtBG-Tobi-Kadachi-Model-Uplit.thumb.png.a9fbb933e4a9d5a3b2651a3a6ee47bc6.png

Edited by Kuroneko
Autocorrect is a harsh mistress
  • Like 6

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

Has Steamforged kept the same downward momentum since Dark Souls?  I haven't kept up with their newer releases from KS.

I haven't followed them much either, but Dark Souls was bad enough to leave a permanent negative impression.  And the boards for this one look like it could function similarly, so I'm going to stay away.

I think Devil May Cry turned out satisfactorily, but would like to know more.

Lasting Tales... Mythic Battles: Ragnorak... Dungeons and Lasers... seems like a whole bunch of 2020 projects were pushed back to 2021! 

Too many other KS right now, but I guess MH fans should be happy.

Kickstarter is now live!

Pledged for the 'all in' option. I've only had good experiences with the company,obviously your mileage may vary but I'm happy to take the risk with the beast that is kickstarter :ph34r:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 10:12 PM, Dan d'Lyon said:

I haven't followed them much either, but Dark Souls was bad enough to leave a permanent negative impression.  And the boards for this one look like it could function similarly, so I'm going to stay away.

As someone who didn’t follow the Dark Souls KS, what was so bad about it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

From what I understand, there was a lot of delay in getting the stretch goals out to backers. I think that it just got too much for them to handle, which is why they've gone for a fairly limited amount of add ons this time. Too many companies start making up stretch goals in the latter parts of their campaign just to appease backers. I'm happy with this mode of limited add ons as it hopefully means that they're not going to overextend themselves. 

Holy moly, it's at $2million already ::o:

• Like 4

The game rules for Dark Souls were just plain bad.  Without house ruling a bunch of things it was exceptionally monotonous.  Plus, they changed the planned availability of some of the add-ons after the pledge manager closed.  So if you were intending to pick it up at retail you were just out of luck.  Not to mention the several years delay to get everything shipped.  I think it was close to 3 years from the time the base game shipped to when the rest of the stuff was sent - with stretch goals being almost the last thing done, as I recall.  Only retailers were treated worse, I believe.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

A lot. You don't put repetitious grind into a boardgame. The boss fight were the only rules previewed during the KS and the rest of the game replaced hard work in the videogame with starting over after a bad die roll. One reviewer who raved about the boss fights during the KS did a 180-degree turn once he played the boardgame. This isn't the review, but you can search for more.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/21/15382634/dark-souls-the-board-game-review

ToanDaxland

1 day ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's terrible to play.

I will try to explain *why* I think it's a bad game though.

Essentially, if you're going into it hoping to have a grand old multiplayer Dark Souls session, you'll be highly disappointed. Broadly speaking, one may argue that the essence of Dark Souls comes in a few factors:

A) Environmental storytelling/exploration - Not really present in the board game due to the need for randomisation

B) Death and surprise as learning experience; You get surprised by a mimic that instantly kills you and now you're keenly aware that you need to check for future mimics - Also not really present in the board game because nothing is truly surprising. You put out the trap yourself, after all. There's no enemy lurking around the corner to instantly deal massive damage to you, *that you can then subsequently avoid and/or outsmart on your next life*.

C) Bosses (Awesome music, learning patterns, understanding the flow of a fight) - All three are either absent, or markedly reduced. Whilst patterns do exist for the boss, dice rolling to determine outcome is supposed to abstract fumbling your controls, or getting distracted, whatever. The issue is that you subsequently never get that same feeling of mastery for flawlessly defeating a boss on the 15th time around.

There's probably more, and I'm sure people would add to this but that's my short list for why, if you're wanting to buy the game because you're a Dark Souls fan (like all of us), you'll be disappointed.

If you're looking for a relatively generic dice rolling dungeon crawler that has Dark Souls *theming*, then I would imagine that it's perfectly fine. Just not for the Dark Souls enthusiast... which is entirely who it is marketed at. Which is a shame.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/mueiqo/is_the_dark_souls_board_game_any_good/

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 2