Maybe it’s Cheetos residue left on the surface or some other ‘edible’ material from handling food and the minis. Happens at my gaming table all the time :zombie:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhat related, occasionally some of the old D&D pre-painted mini’s from the 2000’s will develop a white or grey moldy film. I and others have experienced this. Cleaning (though not going so far as to damage the paint job) will not prevent the film from growing back. 

44 minutes ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Somewhat related, occasionally some of the old D&D pre-painted mini’s from the 2000’s will develop a white or grey moldy film. I and others have experienced this. Cleaning (though not going so far as to damage the paint job) will not prevent the film from growing back. 

I had this on some of my DDM prepaints.  I think it may have been plasticiser leaching out of the minis rather than mold.  I washed them with dish soap and an old toothbrush (the paint on DDMs is virtually indestructible).  Several years later I have seen no sign of the bloom returning.

• Like 3

The saga continues...

While packing up all my minis to move into my new house, I discovered that several of my oldest minis have begun to grow mold.  These are finished bones.  They've been painted and sealed with Krylon spray.  And once again, it's orange mold growing out of the baking soda bases.

I am quite devastated and didn't take a full inventory on the damage.

When I get around to unpacking I'll take some photos.  Thankful that it just seems to  be the bases and not the entire models... but still deeply upset that I'll need to repair/repaint several models.

Wondering if the room I stored them in was too humid.  Not sure.  It really makes no sense.  Baking soda is often used to TREAT mold.  

Currently planning on letting the affected models soak in a hydrogen peroxide foot bath. thought I may need to find a method to keep them upright.  Really hoping to avoid damaging the entire paint job.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
5 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

The saga continues...

While packing up all my minis to move into my new house, I discovered that several of my oldest minis have begun to grow mold.  These are finished bones.  They've been painted and sealed with Krylon spray.  And once again, it's orange mold growing out of the baking soda bases.

When I get around to unpacking I'll take some photos.  Thankful that it just seems to  be the bases and not the entire models... but still deeply upset that I'll need to repair/repaint several models.

Wondering if the room I stored them in was too humid.  Not sure.  It really makes no sense.  Baking soda is often used to TREAT mold.  

Currently planning on letting the affected models soak in a hydrogen peroxide foot bath. thought I may need to find a method to keep them upright.  Really hoping to avoid damaging the entire paint job.

It's probably the room being too humid with a lot of things like that. You might consider getting your air tested there because it's possible that you have a hidden mold problem in your home with something letting moisture in that you can't see such as cracks in your foundation...I had a friend who ended up having a massive mold issue they only found when they were replacing some old ceiling lights with fans and had to run extra wires...they had a crack in the sealant for the walls and it was growing along the wood there, cost them quite a bit to get fixed.

6 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

The saga continues...

While I have no way of knowing for sure, I think what you are seeing is a chemical reaction with the baking soda.

16 hours ago, SotF said:

It's probably the room being too humid with a lot of things like that. You might consider getting your air tested there because it's possible that you have a hidden mold problem in your home with something letting moisture in that you can't see such as cracks in your foundation...I had a friend who ended up having a massive mold issue they only found when they were replacing some old ceiling lights with fans and had to run extra wires...they had a crack in the sealant for the walls and it was growing along the wood there, cost them quite a bit to get fixed.

Fortunately we just moved out of that apartment. New home has better climate control.  Hoping it won't be a problem going forward.

15 hours ago, K2h2m3 said:

While I have no way of knowing for sure, I think what you are seeing is a chemical reaction with the baking soda.

It seems it's only affecting the baking soda, but I can't understand why. Or why no one else has experienced this. I know I'm not the only one using baking soda and super glue.

11 hours ago, The Steve said:

wow, that is freaky! Sorry your models were unsealed the paintjobs will be lost in mold removal. Best suggestion is to isolate the models from that container until you can find a way to safely demold them.

Fortunately they are all sealed.  Unfortunately, the mold seems to be growing beneath the seal...

• Sad 1

This is a thought, just to possibly identify the source: are you by chance a brush-licker when you paint? If you do, you might consider brushing your teeth and rinsing your mouth with water before painting, and avoiding drinking anything with sugar and mold-building things whilst you paint. Though that thought is a long shot, since you'd probably have mold growing all over the mini and not just the bases if that were the case.

Hate to say it, but if the problem persists in your new home, you might want to shift away from using baking soda and just buy some snow flock from one of the terrain companies. Sometimes it's just easier to pay the money instead of dealing with a recurring headache.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, MoonglowMinis said:

Currently planning on letting the affected models soak in a hydrogen peroxide foot bath. thought I may need to find a method to keep them upright. 

If you have a long popsicle stick and a couple metal washers, glue the washers to the bottom of the stick, then use a dab of hot glue to affix the minis' bases to the other side. then you just have to fill up with enough peroxide to cover the bases.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

This is a thought, just to possibly identify the source: are you by chance a brush-licker when you paint? If you do, you might consider brushing your teeth and rinsing your mouth with water before painting, and avoiding drinking anything with sugar and mold-building things whilst you paint. Though that thought is a long shot, since you'd probably have mold growing all over the mini and not just the bases if that were the case.

Hate to say it, but if the problem persists in your new home, you might want to shift away from using baking soda and just buy some snow flock from one of the terrain companies. Sometimes it's just easier to pay the money instead of dealing with a recurring headache.

If you have a long popsicle stick and a couple metal washers, glue the washers to the bottom of the stick, then use a dab of hot glue to affix the minis' bases to the other side. then you just have to fill up with enough peroxide to cover the bases.

Not a brush licker.

And I actually used the baking soda as an instant basing material - not as flock. Using the chemical reaction of baking soda and superglue to help make seamless transitions from broccoli bases to standard rounds. I know I got that trick somewhere when I first started painting, but I haven't seen too many other people do it.

Gluing to a weighted stick definitely seems to the way to go. Might just hot glue straight to the bottom of a plastic container and skip the middle man.  Fortunately I'm not too proud of those older minis (about 2 or 3 years old) but I am very worried about how many are going to eventually go bad.

Haven't unpacked to deal with the issue. didn't notice it at the same time as the goblins because the baking soda was covered under layers of paint and spray sealant.  Noticed it on a few minis with lighter colored bases - the discoloration shows something growing underneath.  Some of the darker based ones might have a problem too that I just can't see yet.  The goblins had physical sprouts of mold - these ones seem to be trapped beneath the surface - though an oily-like residue is also present.  Didn't examine too closely - will have to check when I get around to unpacking.

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

This might sound daft, but did you use the same container of baking soda for all of the bases? . Cross contamination could be a factor, or possibly just a bad batch.

I think this might be it.  I used an old box for the first however many minis I worked on, and switched over to a new box when I ran out.  Still strange that it took as long as it did for signs to show up.  Maybe a combination of cross contamination and moving the minis to a more humid environment.

Just hoping there's not a problem with EVERY mini, because I doubt I cleaned out my smaller container of baking soda after I used up the old stuff.

Hopefully I can salvage the affected minis.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

And I actually used the baking soda as an instant basing material - not as flock. Using the chemical reaction of baking soda and superglue to help make seamless transitions from broccoli bases to standard rounds.

If you decide you want to change methods to keep doing this, you could try using spackling paste for drywall repair. It's not expensive, has a bunch of uses, and you can really make smooth transitions since you can use a damp brush on it after applying. It's not instant set like superglue and baking soda, but it should have the added benefit that if you see mold growing then it is most likely actual mold coming from the environment and humidity.

• Like 2

I vaguely remember David Soper writing on his blog about experiencing problems with baking soda for basing. Unfortunately I can't find the post anymore. And I'm not sure it was about mold...

EDIT:

Hah, found it! here

Not about mold, he talked about "white bloom", whatever that is...

Edited by Samedi
Found the link!
  • Like 1