Resin

FuzzyIzmit

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Working with resin is much like working with plastic. Some things to note:

- If you do any sanding, wear a filter mask or do it outside... resin dust is dangerous to breath.

- Moreso than plastics or metals, you MUST wash the resin before painting it. Use a brush and soapy water to scrub it clean.

- Flash can be really bad on some resin pieces. Because resin is hard, it can shatter if put under enough stress. When cleaning flash, it is best to use a sharp knife or saw (depending on how much it is), and then sanding the rest to get it smooth. Using clippers could cause a crack.

- Definitely prime the piece before painting.

Gabe hit it all- By all means, wash it - because the releasing agent really plays havoc with primer and paint.

You might need to fill bubbles in, so have some filler handy (a good casting shouldn't have bubbles, but they sometimes happen)

Priming is also must...

but all in all, I really like working on resin. I have some japanese houses I'm painting up, and they are quite fun.

Ugh. Personally I despise plastic/resin after my one experience with T'Char being partially cast in plastic. I ended up having to call Ral Partha (they were still in business then, thankfully) to have the plastic pieces replaced with metal because the plastic was completely FUBARed (bubbles in the cast to the point of obliterating many of the scales and you couldn't realign the tail so the dragon wouldn't stand up). My experience is also to really wash the pieces, and even then the paint won't always stick so you have to sand it. This is particularly bad if there is detail work that ends up either being removed or lessened, and if it's just lessened, then the grooves won't hold paint. Also, it is not forgiving and can break. If you don't like the arm position, tough. That's the way it's going to stay.

You also may not need to pin pieces (although it still advisable on large minis like dragons) and it doesn't kill pin vice bits as much as metal will.

BUT: Resin does cast in extremely high quality if you get a good, well molded piece. It's also lightweight so you don't kill your back carrying large quantities of it, and it tends to be less expensive. My advice is to check out a couple of pieces, preferably from different manufacturers, and see how you like it.

The resin RP used was of pretty poor quality, so I wouldn't judge the material by that. I use a lot of resin pieces in my armor building hobby. Resin can hold much more detail that metal, though as above tends to be brittle. Well cast resin can be absolutely breathtaking in the amount of detail it can hold.

Damon.

REsin is nice. And as someone who has been painting rsin horses for some years, the best thing I (and many model horse entusiasts) have found for priming resin is gesso, you buy it at art stores. It is a great medium for 'prepping' resin and other surfaces for acrylic paint. It is what I am using on my Atlantean dolphin irder and some reson model horses that I am getting ready to paint. Model horse peinters have been swearing by it for years, and years now! It sandable, works really great.

LT

Do you guys know a good place for afordable scenery pieces? I am just looking for a backdrop for when I get a camera.....eventually.

:devil:

Miniature Building Authority.

Tommy. ::):

She said affordable!

All kidding aside though. Miniature Building Authority does great stuff. Their buildings come nicely pre-painted and you can pull off the roofs and get to the inside. They are not cheap by any means though. They are made from a very heavy reason though and I drool everytime I pass them in the scenary aisle at my FLGS.