60020 Lini, Iconic Gnome Druid

I like how the pale yellow/green skirt contrast with the green of the outfit. This is a highly detailed and tiny model, you did an amazing work on her face and the nmm is very smooth. I love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Metalchaos said:

I like how the pale yellow/green skirt contrast with the green of the outfit. This is a highly detailed and tiny model, you did an amazing work on her face and the nmm is very smooth. I love it.

Thanks!  I had some trouble with the skirt and tried a couple different colors before going for an almost neon green (I think I used Mint Green).  I think the mini needed something lighter to give it more contrast too.

• Like 2

I like her!  Well done.

Thanks for choosing to paint her.

She is indeed tiny and very detailed, and you've shown your skillful brush control by picking out the details so crisply.

Good decision to put her up on that rock.

Painting darker-metal NMM such as bronze (especially if it's old/blackened bronze) can be tough.  Your sickle is almost there. 

Find images of real bronze to inspire your colors, whether it's new and more orange, or older and more black/green/purple. 

I would suggest higher contrast: especially darker shadows and "glints" of light highlights.  You could shrink your current highlights (yellow-green) by painting more of the base brown over them.  Go even darker with very dark brown, dark green, black, or purple with the shadows (where it is reflecting dark things in the environment).  Then add small highlights in a light tan / off-white, where the sun or other source of light would be reflecting off the smooth shiny surface. 

You'll have to decide which viewing angle is the one where it looks right, imagine where the sun is coming from, and then figure out which surface(s) would reflect that light when we see the figure at the angle you've chosen. 

One trick would be to paint a thin film of water over the sickle and see where your desk-lamp glints brightest off the wet surface; remember those spots, and then after the water dries, you paint the high-highlights there.

In case it helps, I also used an effect like dark brown / bronze NMM on my recently painted sea elf bard figure: Forum link

And make sure you paint that bracelet! ::P:

Derek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, dks said:

EI like her!  Well done.

Thanks for choosing to paint her.

She is indeed tiny and very detailed, and you've shown your skillful brush control by picking out the details so crisply.

Good decision to put her up on that rock.

Painting darker-metal NMM such as bronze (especially if it's old/blackened bronze) can be tough.  Your sickle is almost there. 

Find images of real bronze to inspire your colors, whether it's new and more orange, or older and more black/green/purple. 

I would suggest higher contrast: especially darker shadows and "glints" of light highlights.  You could shrink your current highlights (yellow-green) by painting more of the base brown over them.  Go even darker with very dark brown, dark green, black, or purple with the shadows (where it is reflecting dark things in the environment).  Then add small highlights in a light tan / off-white, where the sun or other source of light would be reflecting off the smooth shiny surface. 

You'll have to decide which viewing angle is the one where it looks right, imagine where the sun is coming from, and then figure out which surface(s) would reflect that light when we see the figure at the angle you've chosen. 

One trick would be to paint a thin film of water over the sickle and see where your desk-lamp glints brightest off the wet surface; remember those spots, and then after the water dries, you paint the high-highlights there.

In case it helps, I also used an effect like dark brown / bronze NMM on my recently painted sea elf bard figure: Forum link

And make sure you paint that bracelet! ::P:

Derek

Thanks Derek, and everyone else for the kind words!

That sea elf bard is incredible, by the way.  😍

Before I started on her I decided to put her up on a rock.  She’s a PC and needed to be up a bit higher to have more table presence in a party of larger humanoids.  I couldn’t have her down among the goblins and kobolds!

I appreciate the detailed feedback.  I’ve been practicing NMM a lot since I painted her, so your suggestions make a lot of sense.  It motivated me to break out the palette and try again.  I used the NMM gold triad with a bit of blue added, and walnut brown.

I also painted her bracelet - amethyst beads to match her pendant - and I touched up her face a little.  The rouge on her cheek wasn’t blended very well, so I smoothed it out.

E4A2B73B-ED8D-45C5-8509-D059F8B7130E.thumb.jpeg.aad4c964544fd37cf52775d3758418d3.jpeg

I still need to do a little more work on the NMM but I think this is looking a lot better.

• Like 6