Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures: Marilith (First mini, ever!)

Just started learning to paint minis after picking up a few minis from my local hobby shop and The Army Painter starter paint set. Wondering if I could get any advice, as I plan on touching this one up (adding shading to the leather, more details on tail and belly, fixing up the skin, adding more detail to the swords) and would like advice on techniques or what I should add in terms of details. Unfortunately I did miss a few mold lines but you can't really notice them in person since the model is quite small. 

504115951_20210415_0102350(1).thumb.jpg.e2ccf0d6a231ddd8eb61f7c90984be1c.jpg

20210415_011513.jpg

• Like 17
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! You did a pretty good job with you first mini. Definately got good brush control already and that is a very importent skill to have this early! A couple bits of advice.

1: Leave your first mini as is. Later on you will want to see how far you have come in your skills and being able to compare your most recent to your first is helpful.

2: Try stuff! Make mistakes! Learn from them! Paint a Manticore purple! Make a skeleton army bright pink! Turn Strahd into Count Chocula! Have fun!

Anywho, welcome to the cult, uh, I mean hobby. Yeah. Hobby.

GF

P.S.: Purple text is code for jokes and humor in this nieghborhood of the Interwebs.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

A [redacted] sight better than my first work! Very nice.

Here's stuff I wish I had known when I was getting started:
-drybrushing will really bring out texture details, as will washes. 
(washes: very thinned-down paints, usually darker than the color you put them over--they run into cracks and crannies)
(drybrushing: when your mini has dried, get a janky frayed bushy brush, put a little bit of paint on it--usually a lighter shade than the color you're drybrushing--brush it on a piece of paper until ALMOST no paint is left; then briskly brush the textured surface, so the light color hits the raised areas without covering most of the surface). 
Both of them together make a powerful contrast. I recommend wash first, wait to dry, then drybrush, but there are many strategies.

-A thin liner brush, one with long flexible bristles held close together, is a really powerful tool for fine detail and touch-ups. A tiny spotter brush with shorter bristles may not work as well.

-If you can keep paint from getting all the way up the bristles of a brush and into the ferrule (the bit holding the bristles) your brushes will last much longer and fray much less. 

Welcome and happy painting!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Generic Fighter said:

1: Leave your first mini as is. Later on you will want to see how far you have come in your skills and being able to compare your most recent to your first is helpful.

Good advice. You may not think so now, but it'll be nice to be able to see how far you've come a year or two down the road.

Always remember the first rule: if you're having fun, you're doing it right.

Welcome to the forum! That's a very good job for your first ever mini; it's a lot better than my first one was (yes, I do still have it).

As far as advice on this particular figure, I agree with you about some shading on her leather armor; as far as her skin, I would just try to touch up her chest. It almost looks like she's 2 different skin colors.

Again, it is a great job though.

• Like 2