The Ghost Archipelago Project

Rat13

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife was kind enough to loan me her phone to snap a couple pictures. So before I start painting tonight here is the progress from last night. 

IMG_0945.thumb.jpg.0985a34076ad0854896e71437ac9ff1a.jpgIMG_0946.thumb.jpg.66f01a53a09797bb95e5bf21738fb133.jpg

I really struggled to come up with a color scheme for this one. Thankfully many people have already painted this great beast so I had a ton of inspiration pictures to pull from. Seeing it painted up in dark tones and pure black was extremely helpful. I almost went with a dark scheme but after seeing it painted up that way I realized it wasn't for me. Seeing a couple really well painted in that color also showed me its a little beyond my skills at the moment.

So green tones and brown it is, or in other words what I've already been doing and feel confident replicating on a larger model. These big pieces really show all the flaws in your painting so I'm trying my best to minimize my usual mistakes and oversights.  

• Like 7

Last night really brought out the colors. With three different washes applied the figure is really popping now. I did however make the mistake of using the same wash on the spikes and the green skin. This radically changed the spike's color and perhaps not in a good way. I'll have to think about it before I continue but I may end up repainting the spikes to bring back their original color. 

IMG_0949.thumb.jpg.61991cfed0db93bc52e3d332855fd9e9.jpgIMG_0950.thumb.jpg.9d707efc7fe5915fdb087ef82525711c.jpg

• Like 9

Last night I went ahead and repainted the spikes/armored back and I'm really glad I did. I think the two tones work well on it, looking much better than the muddled mess I had after applying the wash. I also went ahead and painted the base with two colors, opting for a brown earth and gray rocks. This also ended up looking pretty good. Last but not least I used a bit of black wash to bring everything together, though perhaps that was another mistake.  20211114_140111.thumb.jpg.9e53737ab111de0ea8510fed32da0884.jpg20211114_140131.thumb.jpg.ebb04c96a87b5773fa1bb4c246c8d987.jpg

Forgive the pictures I used a very old phone to grab them and it really didn't do it any favors. In person its not too bad. All that's left now is a bit of cleanup, especially on the base, a brown wash for the earth, and to paint some eyes. I've even come across a pretty good reference photo for its eyes that though a little complicated I may be able to pull off, fingers crossed. 

Oddly enough painting this though a bit daunting at first really wasn't that bad. The biggest problem I've encountered so far is what to do with it when its finished. I don't really have anywhere to put it and it doesn't fit in the usual storage containers I use for miniatures. Oh well, if nothing I else I know quite a few people this would make a great gift for and the holidays are coming.

• Like 9

I'm tentatively calling the tyrannosaurus finished.IMG_0959.thumb.jpg.a1c5bc23d446845d021f0758dbf7a703.jpg

As promised a different eye too. It definitely losses something up close but from tabletop distance it looks great. Only one picture came out well but I used both anyway.

IMG_0961.thumb.jpg.a34394a14521d5be0dea9127a0572269.jpgIMG_0962.thumb.jpg.55681c78145d05e91a792a6c524dab48.jpg

Overall I'm quite pleased with how it came out. The only thing I would have done different would have been skipping my typical application of black wash. I'll just chalk that one up to being stuck in army painting mode. 

I felt so confident that the tyrannosaurus is finished I went ahead and started the next big dino. I just ended up blocking out colors but already its given me a better idea on how to tackle this one. I'm a bit on the fence regarding the scheme I've chosen but I plan to forge ahead anyway.   

IMG_0963.thumb.jpg.ce161645f58ef5227a811004567b0a26.jpgIMG_0964.thumb.jpg.eee2798486a5a697278c5e0d74b8b208.jpg

Edited by Rat13
  • Like 9

Last night I didn't get too much done. I made the mistake of using a bit too much wash on the spikes and armor. Needless to say it got everywhere but at least the cleanup won't be too bad. That mistake ended my session early however as there was no way to continue until everything dried. 

20211116_220005.thumb.jpg.7b5965aee348fc64bb590a3d1dfaa616.jpg20211116_220020.thumb.jpg.1b422ac4c3b68301cf0e5c8e19bc025c.jpg

On a more personal note my new phone arrived and these are actually the first pictures I took with it. As you can see there's a bit of a learning curve with it but I'm sure I'll get a handle on it eventually. It doesn't help that its worlds above what I was using, so I'll have to change just about everything I used to do with the old one. Again a high class problem but one I'm sure others can relate to. 

• Like 9

Ankylosaurus is just about finished. It's a little muddied color wise but I'm not sure if I want to keep working on it. It's a great model but I think fatigue just got the better of me with this one. I may return to clean it up but for now I'm calling it.

20211117_221637.thumb.jpg.3dbd9fa2bd5e966718e41efe84d9002b.jpg20211117_221651.thumb.jpg.e79b4ce6e7c34f9800090ac68fae567f.jpg

The triceratops recieved it's first basecoat. I chose a lighter green than the tyrannosaurus but it'll probably end up looking similar anyway given how I paint.

20211117_221718.thumb.jpg.b31e3b1e71092f0d238f3ce534997e83.jpg20211117_221728.thumb.jpg.0c76c0f2b1e14f943fc8a51221ccdd16.jpg

• Like 8

Between last night's progress, which I didn't get around to posting, and tonight the triceratops is finished. 20211120_010040.thumb.jpg.4697f8e4d2ce6aa0f9aac9c38b9b62e6.jpg20211120_010055.thumb.jpg.1c60ae3b7499b3d2f28a6333185ab945.jpg20211120_010111.thumb.jpg.ff0778b2133d9e08e1f150113e95b1b2.jpg

I didn't do anything too complicated with this one and more or less copied the tyrannosaurus' color scheme. The true difference not so much being the colors used but the absence of an overall black wash. I also skipped the drybrushing of the horns as that was a mistake I had made with the ankylosaurus. Look at that five years in and I'm finally learning from my mistakes.

• Like 7

Didn't get much accomplished tonight other than sealing the large dinosaurs. I did however chose my next batch for this project.20211120_224324.thumb.jpg.ca67bbac0d49822c0bbce5f950eb4794.jpg

Looks like I may need to consider a new insurance company. Oh, yes I will be making jokes like that the whole time I paint them. As a fan of their single season sitcom the jokes will get worse and more niche too.

• Like 7