This is my first attempt at a dark skin tone but I wasn't feeling the Dark Skin Triad for this one.

So far I like where I am headed with Innkeeper Sophie, but I wonder if I'm missing something.

For her skin I used Redstone Shadow and highlighted up with Redstone Highlight(also did a light glaze of brown liner on the back of the wings for shadows) but I'm wondering if I need a third highlight color. Should I mix in Pure White or possibly a warm shaded off-white like Linen White to the highlight color? Should I lean more red or more yellow considering her dress is the prominent color? Is that even a good idea?

Also the shadow line on her bust is bothering me... seems like it might be too long and sharp of a line there... should I have a smoother transition between her collar bone and her breasts?

Innkeeper Sophie front.jpg

Innkeeper Sophie back.jpg

Edited by crowsandbones
  • Like 5
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, crowsandbones said:

For her skin I used Redstone Shadow and highlighted up with Redstone Highlight(also did a light glaze of brown liner on the back of the wings for shadows) but I'm wondering if I need a third highlight color. Should I mix in Pure White or possibly a warm shaded off-white like Linen White to the highlight color? Should I lean more red or more yellow considering her dress is the prominent color? Is that even a good idea?

I would try a lighter skin tone like Tanned Shadow or Tanned Skin, maybe mix a bit with your redstone highlight to smooth the transition.   If you mix white into the redstone it will be too much. 

I would not add any red. You already have purple hair and a green scarf.  Try using those in more places for color, or shading. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good work so far.

I would also say yes to another highlight, using one of the Tanned colors like Inarah says, and/or mixing a warm tan-beige like Golden (Skin) Highlight or Yellowed Bone into your Redstone Highlight.

(It's tough to say whether the skin is "finished" until you've painted the rest of the mini.)

If a painter doesn't paint light enough highlights on dark skin, then it looks unnatural to me, like suede or cloth instead of skin. 

The highest highlights should be reflections off the skin's smooth (and/or oily) surface of whatever the light-source is -- the sun, the clear blue sky, a cloudy gray sky, a torch, a light bulb, etc.  The color of that highlight, then, might be warmer (yellow/beige), neutral (gray/white), or cold (bluish).

To see how light the highlights can be on real people with darker skin tones, you could do a quick image-search for photo references ... and maybe put those photos into the Reaper Power Palette!  Remember that the lighting and possible make-up (reducing shine) will affect how light the highlights appear in photos.

It can be especially tricky to highlight and shade the upper chest, because of the complex shapes involved (junction of collarbones, upper-pectorals, sternum, and breasts). 

Slight changes in the pose and the angle of the light can dramatically change the lighting and shadows.

Umm ... find a photo of a real person with an exposed upper chest in similar lighting?  For artistic reference, of course.

Two figures that I painted with dark skin:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/43288-14590-liela-dark-elf-sorceress-warlord/

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/41709-60019-seelah-pathfinder-iconic-paladin/

Derek

• Like 3