EU customer buying from Reaper UK site: how it works?

Hello folks, I live in EU and it's still unclear to me how purchasing from UK works after Brexit: have some of you EU folks bought directly from Reaper site in the last months?

I suppose that prices on the Reaper site include UK VAT, but from january I have to pay the EU VAT when the shipment arrives at my address... So do I have to pay VAT twice?

Edited by Jacopo
  • Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Super Administrators

You can also reach out to @reaperrooms on facebook and instagram. They are the fellows who run the UK warehouse and should be able to answer all your questions. Just look up reaper rooms, and you should be able to find them! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Maledrakh said:

I live in Norway outside of the EU, and the UK site automatically has the prices without VAT for me. I expect this would be true for resident of the EU too.

So do you have to pay VAT+fees the moment the courier arrives at your home, or you receive notification first and then you have to pay it before the package is delivered at home?

18 hours ago, Jacopo said:

So do you have to pay VAT+fees the moment the courier arrives at your home, or you receive notification first and then you have to pay it before the package is delivered at home?

That's something that may differ from country to country (and apparently region to region in some cases) and by carrier. It might even differ based on which customs officer handles things and how much of a workload they currently have; hereabouts, they sometimes let intermediate-value shipments that technically should see import VAT, but no additional tax, applied slip through.

For me personally, the UK warehouse would ship by Royal Mail, so the package would almost certainly arrive at my door without prior notice about the delivery date/time. Unless customs decided not to truck with it, I'd be dealing with a postman wanting VAT and fees in cold, hard cash of the exact amount down to the last cent - which in 2021 during a pandemic, I probably won't have on hand, so he'll drop it off at the nearest post office for pickup,

Of course, I live in arguably the most dirthole metropolis in the heart of Europe, still clinging to delusions of grandeur and rather dated bureaucracy due to its erstwhile importance in a bygone era. With any luck, in your area, they're using more sensible/modern procedures.

You should probably find out what carrier would handle the shipment (I suspect it'll be the postal service in most places; Royal Mail tends to be the best option for shipping from the UK to the EU if you don't need express services), then inquire with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many countries now have a scheme(VOEC) where the seller can collect the VAT for them, which means that there's no additional handling fees, and the package passes the customs much faster. 

I wish Reaper would sign up for this.    

• Thanks 2
On 4/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, Jacopo said:

correct. I have to pay Norwegian fees and VAT when I collect the package at the post office.

• Like 2

And for a package in the  $44 - $375 range, the fees alone is over $18.  

We can always hope that the package 'sneaks by', but the reality is that the packages looks too professional, and uses too large boxes, so very few ever get past the big T(r)OLL.

So if Reaper got into the VOEC scheme, it would make a big difference to my hobby budget. 

• Like 1