• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! 

On 4/28/2021 at 4:13 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Good job!

I like it.

As for sheer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZrvz2RN1Uw

Oh, many thanks! This is an excellent resource. 

On 4/28/2021 at 11:21 AM, Iridil said:

Really like the effect with her dress - yet another great setting!

I appreciate it, and it's going to get better the next go-around! 

17 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Very cool!

I like the colors you went with for painting her; green isn't one of the 'typical' colors that springs to mind.  :winkthumbs:

Thanks! Partly I was inspired by the Gaelic flavor of her name, and partly it was just she needed to be visually distinct from Jahenna here, who also has really good straight hair and a slinky clingy dress. Maybe there's some influence from the Lady of the Green Kirtle from "The Silver Chair"; I could see that, in retrospect. 

• Like 2

A tip that I've found helps me a lot with sheer fabrics -- paint all the skin tones on the mini first as though the cloth isn't there at all.  Then go back and paint fabric. Example below behind spoiler tag due to NSFW.  Compare dress of figure on left to stockings of figure on far right.  Center figure has no sheer fabric.  My experience has been that the stronger your highlighting and shading is, with clearly defined light direction, the better the effect looks.  Reel sheer cloth works when light goes through and is reflected by the skin underneath.  If there is no light hitting the surface, so there is limited sheer effect, so the skin doesn't show through in shadow areas.  I hope this helps.  I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Spoiler

20210331_133610.thumb.jpg.413eb913246dd7a9b77ea3d0d9428181.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Geoff Davis
      My first time painting a chibi figure.  Probably not the last.  Painting this made me feel happy.

• By Glitterwolf
      Design Vehicle and Crew: Titanforge
      Design: Fleeing Vampire in Front : Arch Villain Games
      Design Hanging Corpse : Printed Obsession
      Design Church Ruins: Printed Obsession
      Fleeing Winged Vampire : Reaper Bones Vorvorlake SKU 50329
      Graveyard Fence Part : Reaper
      Tombstones /Barrels/Books/ Weapons: Various.

Printed on Elegoo Mars in Resin.

Part of my Project Children of the Night.
      WIP HERE:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79298-children-of-the-night-by-glitterwolf/page/17/

Vampires roam the land, but fear not, there are those who dedicated their lives to exterminate them.
      Here we can see how Ernst Holtz and his crew hunt down the evil creatures who were hiding in an abandoned cemetary.
      Once nobles and commoners alike donated money to the Order of the Vampire Hunters, but since the Baron's son and his wife ruled the Barony the order was mocked.
      People no longer believed in the supernatural.
      Ernst suspected the Baron's son and his wife to be behind it but he couldn't prove it yet.
      When he heard rumours of vampires in the area he assembled his crew and took out the now rusty Dampfhammer.
      He would show them!
      He would capture one of those vile creatures and show it to the people, they would believe again!
      Once more the vile Undead would flee before him!
      And maybe he could find out why the Baron's son and his wife wanted to get rid of the Order..

• By dks
      I've finished another project that was on my to-do list for years.
      First the pics, then some more words:

This was a special resin figure from ReaperCon 2014 (April 24-27 that year) -- sculpted by Bobby Jackson, given to attendees who paid extra for the Artist Banquet on Saturday night. 
      I was supposed to paint him for Reaper's studio collection after the con, but I got distracted with other stuff and he fell off my list.
      He had the SKU 01529 for a while, and although he is out of production now, his clone will be back soon in Bones 5 as part of the "Dreadmere Personas" Core Set extra.  I'll try to remember to revise the tags of this post when he has a new 77xxx or 78xxx number.
      Ian Markon (Kuro Cleanbrush) painted a spectacular rendition in 2015 as "Knight of the Blood Moon", with red armor and wings.  You can find it here on the Forum by searching for "01529".

So far in 2021, I've been finishing some figures left over from years past ... and getting points in the Reaper Challenge League for it.
      This guy earned 3 points for the April theme of "No More Sunrises" (vampires and other nocturnal or subterranean monsters). 

I couldn't decide on a color scheme so I started painting a cool grey monochrome as if he were in moonlight. 
      I was going to add a warm light from behind, too, but I just kept going with the cool monochrome all around. 
      I concentrated on the differences in contrast and texture among the materials: armor plates and trim, cloak exterior and interior, sword (blade, crossguard, pommel, hilt), gems, skin, hair, teeth, stone steps, skull, etc.

I spent extra time on the face, as always, such as getting the blends very smooth. 
      The eyes are sculpted very large, which gave me freedom to manipulate the expression.  I painted the upper lids a fraction of a millimeter lower, to get just the right half-lidded look.
      And in order to make him seem more feral, I painted his scleras darker and irises lighter.  I did this a few years ago on a half-orc Pathfinder figure I painted (Skreed Gorewillow).

The specific colors were Blue Liner ("black"), the cold grey triad (9172 Stormcover Grey, 9173 Coldstone Grey, and 9174 Icy Grey, now out of production), Misty Grey, and Pure White.
      The blending was somewhat challenging, because the greys changed value from wet to dry!  Stormcover Grey dries a little lighter, and Icy Grey and Misty Grey dry a little darker.  On the back of the cloak, for example, I would see a spot where I wanted to deepen the shadow, and Stormcover Grey looked perfect while wet, but then it would dry lighter and the "shadow" disappeared!  So I had to add Blue Liner to the Stormcover Grey, and trusted that what looked too dark at first would look right when dry.  This phenomenon made it fun to paint little streaks of Stormcover Grey on the interior of the cloak or the sword blade, because the streak would go on invisible over the black, but then appear grey as it dried a few seconds later.

Enjoy!

Derek
    • By Brianuk
      I have put together a warband, mainly Reaper models, for use in Saga Age of Magic, Frostgrave, Oathmark etc. 
      The winged vampires were quite simple to paint. Primed with Israeli grey from Vallejo, then drybrushed with Rakarth flesh and Pallid Wych flesh. Then a wash of carroburg crimson and a highlight with Pallid Wych Flesh. 

The armoured vampires are mainly crimson knights from Reaper with a couple of head swaps but mostly straight and un-kitbashed. They were primed with Vallejo red brown then I used contrast flesh tearers red and a bunch of washes for the armour. 

I enjoyed painting these and the next step is to add some more winged vampires/succubi, and some mounted vampire knights. 

• By Chaoswolf
      I finally managed to climb back on the painting horse. I painted this vampire to my usual tabletop standard. He'll be the leader for a Mordheim/Frostgrave/random skirmish game warband.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 77 Guests (See full list)