Getting to know you, May 2021

Corsair

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 21: What is your current favorite video game?

Oof.. At least you said current...  Incoming list, because it's impossible to choose just one. 

- Doom (2016).  C'mon, epic soundtrack, very smooth gameplay, aaaaaand Doom guy doesn't care about the story.   Can't play it long before my eyes bug out, but still.  Very enjoyable. 

- Assassin's Creed: Origins.  Still haven't finished it, despite having out like 50 hours into it now.  I enjoy messing around way too much, to the point where I'll put four hours in and maybe get one quest done.  Sure are a lot of dead guards lying around afterwards... 

- The Division 2.  Probably one of my favourites of the past two years. 

- Metro series.  I've finished the first, will be starting Last Light relatively soon, and Exodus I'll get around to eventually. 

- Sniper Elite 4.  This one has been a lot of fun, although right now I'm working on achievement grinding, so that isn't quite as fun.  But still.  Something delightfully relaxing about shooting a bunch of Nazis. 

- Dishonoured.  Oh gawds this was a ton of fun to play, doubly so actively messing with the NPCs...  Sometimes you're an in and out Assassin, other times you leave a bloody trail.. 

There's probably more to that list, but it's 2am and I should have gone to bed three hours ago. 

Some would say I should add in Elite:Dangerous into that mix, but in all honesty as of late I haven't been playing it much, probably due to a decent amount of burnout after doing a heavy push towards getting into the Tenebrae region.  It took a long while, to say the least.  I'm also not all that impressed with how Odyssey is going right now. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't really play them these days. My son on the other hand has taken up the mantle on his Xbox.

Speaking of Atari games, anyone remember E.T.? ^_^

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

I think I've got the most hours sunk into Mordheim City of the Damned for ps4. I don't think I've gone two weeks without playing it since 2017 when I first got a ps4. It has it's share of glitches, and the AI goes from unforgiving to outright weird at times, but it has become a staple of life by this point.

Skyrim is a close runner up, I've got my mod list more or less set now, with expanded/redone cities, a couple large dungeons, and everything relating to the Vigilants of Stendarr I could find on ps4. (except the crossbow/extended crossbows from Creation Club, I've had recent issues with the 0kb bug popping up from Creation Club stuff.)

Fallout 4 I return to from time to time, as I've stuffed as many settlement mods as I could into it and I pretty much ignore the "story" of the game, such as it is, in favor of using it as a virtual Lego set.

Recently I've been playing a lot of "The Sinking City", since the recent overcast and rainy weather has put me in a Lovecraftian mood. The atmosphere is excellent, the shooting and combat takes some getting used to, and while the side missions, especially those that came with the Necronomicon Edition are interesting, there are some parts of the storyline I found somewhat immersion breaking in a "where the elf did this come from" kind of way. All in all I've enjoyed it enough however that I am now two trophies away from 100% completion. It reminds me in a lot of ways of the early Resident Evil games and I wish that Resident Evil had gone in a similar direction to this, ie an open map with quite a bit of backtracking/investigation, heavy on atmosphere, third person over the shoulder view rather than the first person linear direction leaning into the more over the top elements that 7 and 8 have done.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't really play video games anymore. Haven't in years. Just a few casual games here and there on Steam or the tablet, but can't say I have favorites.

That being said, in the past few weeks it's been Ticket to Ride in several of its variants (USA, Europe, Norway, France, India, Asia).

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Speaking of Atari games, anyone remember E.T.^_^

[Raises hand]

Remembers it.

Played it.

Like every other kid who played it, did not have a clue as to what the broccoli we were supposed to do.

The history surrounding that game is quite something.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't play many games these days, but I have some classics installed on the computer:

• Total War: Medieval II
  • The Baldur's Gate series
  • Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II

I have the Witcher games, but haven't installed or played them yet.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Project Zomboid has been a favorite for a while; though I've been playing lots of Dungeon Crawl, Zorbus, and Circadian Dice lately.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't really play them on the PC anymore, although I've tried a few (Mech Warrior, Battletech, one of the older Cyberpunk games, Civ VI) but I never seem to get around to playing them. I think the sitting in my office all day working has made it so I don't have any desire to sit that all evening playing games....

I play  Empires & Puzzles on my phone quite a bit, and usually have a couple of quick solitaire or puzzle type games for when I'm waiting somewhere and could get interrupted. Currently, a Nonogram game.

• Like 8

Don't really play "proper" video games anymore (I finally accepted I was just no good at them), nowadays I'll have an app game I'll play fairly regularly for a few months then replace.

Currently, that's Empires and Puzzles.

• Like 8

I don’t and never did consider text based computer games to be video games. 

If it doesn’t have a frame-rate it is not a video game. 

None. 

I play an app called Really Bad Chess quite a bit. 

But I don’t count it as a video game. If it is turn based, it is probably not a video game. 

At some point I just got too frustrated by the constant war between game titles and hardware requirements. I never seemed to have a working machine that would successfully run the games I wanted to play glitch free. And at some point I just ‘gave it up as a bad job.’

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

My current lineup is a bit bigger than usual, because I just bought a new pc (my first prebuilt since 1993, simply can't find parts to build rn). So I have a few just to play with the new hotness. I usually keep about 4 going at once, because they are different experiences/moods.

Rocksmith. My perennial favorite since the original came out. This is my band, I create set lists and whatnot, have a ton of official and fan-made DLC (currently ~1800 songs from Hank to Slayer). I usually put in an hour every couple days on bass. My first career was musician, so it lets me tap into that and remember my fallen friends. Very meaningful 'game' for me.

7 Days to Die. Also been playing this for years, every time they release a new build I fire it up. I always like to have an open world game to mess around in, and shooting zombies is cathartic. This one is part survival/explorer, part tower defense/builder.

Madden 21. It's a crappy football game, but it's all we've got. Happy to see a PC version for the first time since 2007.

PGA 2k21. Formerly The Golf Club franchise, this is my 3rd title in the series. I've enjoyed computer golf games since Leaderboard Golf on the C64! Though my longtime favorite golf game was SimGolf.

I've also picked up Red Dead 2, it looks so amazing on the new pc. I played about 1/3 of the game on the PS4, so I'm excited to get back into it with improved fidelity.

1 hour ago, VitM said:

Project Zomboid has been a favorite for a while; though I've been playing lots of Dungeon Crawl, Zorbus, and Circadian Dice lately.

I was a huge fan of PZ from the very early days, but the recent change in development focus has kinda soured me on it. I think they've gotten a little too fiddly and fond of Cataclysm Dark Days and lost the fun (for me).

• Like 8

None.  I have had three problems with video games.

1 Hardware not good enough

2 Me not good enough.  Video games are for Fast Twitch muscles.  I am Slow Twitch muscles.

3 Games not good enough.  They are just not interesting to me. 

• Like 8