Getting to know you, May 2021

Corsair

On 5/20/2021 at 12:08 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 20: What was the first video game you played?

Haven't had a lot of time in front of a keyboard lately, but let's see if I can do some catching up here... First video game, not counting pinball, would have either been Space Invaders or Asteroid in the rec room at the local YMCA. I wasted a lot of time there as a young Thoramel.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:26 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 21: What is your current favorite video game?

Sticking with actual stand up arcade games I'd go with Killer Queen. It's ten people on two five person cabinets battling against one another by gathering berries and killing each other's queen. I used to go to a Killer Queen league night with a team of people prior to the pandemic and it was streamed on Twitch. Fun stuff, I highly recommend checking it out to see if there's a set up in your area.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:38 AM, Corsair said:

Weekend Quizzles!

May 22: Friends coming over...what movie do you want to show them?

May 23: Friends coming over...what new game do you want to try out that you haven't played before?

22nd: Nothing, we're big on conversation with folks, a movie would get in the way of that. 

23rd: Tough one, but we've got a really pretty game called Parks that would be fun to break out a try to figure out.

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 24: What has been you favorite delivered Kickstarter to date?

Probably Bones 2. Several years before cheap Bones minis were a thing almost my entire collection of miniatures were stolen from a car I was loading with boxes during a move. Someone grabbed the boxes and bags that had them all packed away while we were away from the vehicle. I gave up on painting minis after that because I didn't want to try and replace a decade or so of expensive metal miniatures. Almost gave up on gaming too. Then I heard about bones 2 and thought "what the heck, these are cheap. I'll give them a try." Pledged for a few things and the core set and promptly forgot about it. Was super surprised when the giant box of minis arrived. Basically it got me back into the hobby and I've been enjoying myself ever since. Of course, it also introduced me to kickstarter, which may not be the best thing ever. But getting the motivation to paint again was worth it.

• Like 8

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

The original Bones KS is I believe what brought me to the forums, so I'd say that.

West Wind's Empire of the Dead: Requiem is a close second, since I offered to do a pledge tracker spreadsheet for that and have been friends with the folks from West Wind ever since.

Funny how neither of those are about the actual product.....

As far as the product, likely Stonehaven's Gnomes KS, because I've used a bunch of the Gnomes, and, you know, Gnomes!

Although I've probably "used" the most product out of some the the 3D prints Kickstarters, with the WOW Buildings ones probably being the top ones, but I can't remember which one I'd have printed the most of, since I've backed a number of Paul's KS.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

I gave up on doing Kickstarters about 8 years ago, back when everyone was still ironing out the process and having missing delivery dates so I only have about 5 to go from.

That said, even though it went through KS hellfire and back, Redbox Games/Tre Manor's first KS has produced some of my favorite ones (the one where he was using Trollcast resin instead of pewter, which caused him to subsequently do all of his later KS in pewter).

Crocodile Games' Wargods of Olympus gets an honorable mention because everything I got was delivered and is nice, but that KS took YEARS to fully complete... really glad I backed one of the factions that was already sculpted and wasn't a stretch goal.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Crocodile Games' Wargods of Olympus gets an honorable mention because everything I got was delivered and is nice, but that KS took YEARS to fully complete... really glad I backed one of the factions that was already sculpted and wasn't a stretch goal.

Oh yes, Wargods. I have to give them credit, though, they did finish it. I absolutely love their minis, but I didn't back the campaign. If it was a new faction for Aegyptus, I would've, but I'm not as into Greek. That said, I'm painting Spartans right now, following the Duncan Rhodes Painting Academy free video. I might subscribe to Duncan, his videos are so clean. I totally liked the Miniature Monday guy, but this is what he needs to do. 

• Like 8

Bones 1 - which returned me to mini painting.  and brought me to the forums.  

without a deal that good im not sure I would have ever realized how much I love painting.

before  this I owned some minis but was just as happy playing with the tokens that I bought for 4e D&D 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Bones 4.

When I fled my ex's place with the contents of a backpack I left behind all of my minis. I never made the money to replace them, and after several years of remembering only the pain of burnout and the annoyance of other people's judgement and the enforced "paint this because I say so" of my ex's demands I gave up trying.

Bones 4 was my first chance, my first thought toward replacing the collection I'd left behind. It was the first time I really got excited about painting again. I started buying minis again. I found that Crate O Bones at an estate sale. Bones 4 delivered and I stuffed it into the same Crate. It's been 4 years now and this is the longest I've ever gone without burning out.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Corsair said:

A tie between Bones 1 and one of Oathsworn’s early projects (with dwarves). The energy and excitement of bones 1 was amazing (during the campaign, the comments turned pretty toxic pretty quickly iirc), and it was my first KS project at all. With Oathsworn, I discovered an amazing little company with great people and exceptional quality minis. I love them both.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, malefactus said:

I never participated in a kickstarter; re, I already have more miniatures than I will live to paint.

I am afraid that does not stop me entirely..... at least if I have to overbuy something, they are small....

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

Bones 3 - because it had never occured to me that I could get so many minis and justify it to myself based on price :)... and it gave me my first dragons in many, many years.... and got me to look at the painting forums etc.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Oh yes, Wargods. I have to give them credit, though, they did finish it. I absolutely love their minis, but I didn't back the campaign. If it was a new faction for Aegyptus, I would've, but I'm not as into Greek. 

Just quietly, Croc games is planning another smaller scale kickstarter to add some extra sculpts to the Sebeki...with the plan being to have everything sculpted prior to launch, and limiting the scope (the problem with the last one was that they had an original, small, scope planned, but introduced extra stretch goals because of consumer demand)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Just quietly, Croc games is planning another smaller scale kickstarter to add some extra sculpts to the Sebeki...with the plan being to have everything sculpted prior to launch, and limiting the scope (the problem with the last one was that they had an original, small, scope planned, but introduced extra stretch goals because of consumer demand)

Oh, cool. I hope they have the option to pick up some of the already released stuff with this one, like they did last time. I'd also like to pick up some of the exclusives I missed last time, like the Asar priest. If you could mention that to them, O Editor Extraordinaire, I'd appreciate it.

17 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 25: What genre do you look for first in a Kickstarter?

A lot tickles my fancy, so it's not that so much as it is who is doing it , when it will be fulfilled and what the costs will be. I click on everything, just to mess up the data trackers. There were some really neat jigsaw puzzles I almost backed, but I only wanted one and the shipping was not worth it. Shipping in Canada is brutal. The reason I backed so much in Bones 5 was not that I liked it, (I do, I certainly do!), but the price and the fact that some of Bones 4 still isn't released. 

I'm not going to back a canoe paddle, no matter how cool it is. I want to go to the store and pick it up, not buy on speculation. 

• Like 6