Getting to know you, May 2021

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 27: [inspired by my friend @malefactus] Have you ever sculpted anything freehand?

Nothing too complex? Turning shoulder length hair to waist length. Adding saddles to griffons. Turning Skorne warbeasts back into war elephants. Adding tails and hats and extra arms to things.

I mean, I want to learn.

• Like 8
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 27: [inspired by my friend @malefactus] Have you ever sculpted anything freehand?

No; I use both hands...mostly my right.

This is what I am working on now:

DSCN0146.thumb.JPG.4dd841d6523405da2b885962c154fc69.JPG

DSCN0147.thumb.JPG.c898cb758162d11559155e5170993f44.JPG

The arms are G.W. plastic Ghoul arms.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Corsair said:

An entire figure? No.

Added details to something? Yes.

• Like 7

I have. (I'm excluding that green stuff sculpting class from my first RCon in 2016).

This was for the Sir Forscale contest from several years ago. I modded my templar Sir Forscale into a capitalist Sir For$ale, with sculpted money bags at his feet and his sword reforged into a dollar sign blade. I couldn't find any green stuff or any form of epoxy putty back then, but did find some Tamiya fine putty.

Since then, my use of green stuff is mostly gap filling with some re-texturing.

• Like 7

Bits and bobs on figures, never a whole figure or anything on the level of Malefactus' creations. Made some armatures once to try though. And some sculpted bases.

Philosophical question: isn't almost all sculpting freehand? Sure, gap-filling might give you a texture to match or replicate, but it kind of just acts as a template; you might still have to determine the bends of hair, folds of fabric, etc. on your own. Again, philosophical pondering.

• Like 8

I've sculpted a few things. Mostly scenery or things for basing. I've done some skulls (these still need work). I did a haunted tree. I did some gravestones. 

• Like 9
On 5/25/2021 at 12:02 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 25: What genre do you look for first in a Kickstarter?

Board games and miniatures are what I usually look around for. 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:01 AM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 26: Do you watch Reaper's Live Streams?

Yes. I typically try and catch the Thursday evening stream. I use it as an excuse to set aside whatever else I'm doing and get some painting done while it plays in the background. I also started watching Anne Forester's (sp?) show recently. It comes on around my lunch time and it's something fun to break up the monotony of the work day, and I learn something every now and again. It's field season right now though so I don't get to tune in as often as I would like.

I typically only use green stuff for gaps and basing. But whenever I have a little left over I use it on a creature I've been trying to sculpt for a while now. It's a flumph. Not a very attractive one mind you, I have no idea what I'm doing. And at the rate I'm going it will likely be several years before it's done. 

• Like 9
9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Only bits and pieces.  I have a Bones minotaur here somewhere that has been mostly converted over to being a cow with guns, so clothing, pouches, belts, that sort of thing.

• Like 9