Getting to know you, May 2021

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 28: What movie was so bad that you walked out of the theater, or changed the channel?

I have no idea, it was so bad I walked right back out of the room. I could actually feel brain cells dying every second I was subjected to it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 28: What movie was so bad that you walked out of the theater, or changed the channel?

Like others, I'd never walk out of the theatre, at least if I paid for the tickets.  We don't go to a lot of shows anyway, so usually do a fair amount of research to make sure it is worth the expense.

At home I've sat through so pretty terrible movies.  My wife has a knack for picking out some truly awful movies. About the only time I won't watch a whole movie is if I see something listed on TV and flip over to see what it is like.  

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Corsair said:

If I paid for it, I watch it. Or if I am procrastinating, I watch it. This has led to several bad movies being fully watched.

However, back in the day when Netflix only sent you movies through the mail, someone else rented Sweeney Todd. I couldn't make it through that. The Tim Burton/Johnny Depp pairing had lost its appeal to me.

• Like 8

I don't remember ever walking out of the theater.

As for watching TV, it happened a few times while with the Star Wars prequels and ep. VIII (haven't seen IX yet, no hurry). Watching reruns of these movies, from a beloved franchise, is... challenging.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8

My friends and I walked out of the theater for What About Bob.  It was simply not funny and nobody was enjoying themselves.

• Like 8

We walked out of the last Harry Potter movie, but only because the jokers at the theater couldn't get it in focus and the sound was off. I mean we went back a different time and watched it. So not because the movie was terrible or anything. 

After the Hobbit trilogy came out we tried to binge watch it at home over the course of a weekend and only made it through the first movie and turned it off halfway through the second movie. That was just so bad. 

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Walked out of Rocky Horror the first time I saw it because the crowd was so chaotic.  I know the movie is pure camp.  I'd heard it was "an experience" but it was just kids standing around talking, climbing over seats, opening the doors, and generally not paying attention to the film or the pathetic stage show.  At least at a frat party there's alcohol....   But a friend of mine had a private showing years later at his house and it was much better, with a few people doing the lines.  

Changed the channel on so many, can't remember or didn't bother to look up the names. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Most recently it was The Snowman.  I normally don't turn a movie off, but... it was such a wreck.  Just awkward dialogue.  Bad editing.  Poor writing.  Which is a shame because the actors were talented - they just couldn't fix a train wreck.

Also a confusing tone.  Are we supposed to be serious, or are we supposed to laugh?

Also pet peeve that they didn't change or translate the protagonist's name, because I don't know a single english-speaking audience that wouldn't giggle every time they hear the name "Harry Hole."

38 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Walked out of Rocky Horror the first time I saw it because the crowd was so chaotic.  I know the movie is pure camp.  I'd heard it was "an experience" but it was just kids standing around talking, climbing over seats, opening the doors, and generally not paying attention to the film or the pathetic stage show.

As a Rocky Horror Shadow-caster, I'm sorry this was your experience.  The cast can make or break the show.  That said, it's definitely not for everyone.  Though I have heard horror stories of shows put on by casts that were wasted and other such nonsense.  My group tries to go for more of an interactive-theater approach.

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Corsair said:

I walked out of Aliens because I just couldn't take the ick factor on the big screen - I can be squeemish.

Two rental movie experiences come to mind as well.

First one was some indie film I can't remember the titles of that my friends and I thought looked good. 15 minutes of flashing between poorly shot forest and a guy in a car making another guy look at a dead body and scream "do you like that!" and we turned it off. 20yrs later its still a joke.

Second was a movie about Edvard Munch - which kept repeating the same scenes. Everyone except the person who questioned our renting it fell asleep several times. And the thing was, when I woke up it was the same scene.... more than once!

• Like 7

I should have walked out of the Avengers movie with Loki and that staff - audio was so loud and piercing I had ringing ears for two weeks....  And a headache for two days. 

Most recent one would be watching the most recent season of Seven Deadly Sins.  For some reason, the producer decided to heavily censor a lot of things in it, and there also was... The way the characters and setting were being portrayed was really... It felt different.  I should not have to take five tries to make it through an episode.  Wound up walking away two minutes into the second episode because screw that, I just couldn't get into it, despite the previous several seasons having been things I've binged watched like a madman, and thoroughly enjoyed. 

That season has soured my love of the series rather heavily. 

• Like 6

Too many for the channel part.  If I paid I will stay, but then I only go to movies in the theater when I know I will enjoy them.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nothing comes to mind. I don’t go to the theater often enough to walk out of it. I can’t recall ever having changed the channel because a movie was bad... just boring.

• Like 5
On 5/26/2021 at 11:23 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 27: [inspired by my friend @malefactus] Have you ever sculpted anything freehand?

I've added on to a few minis, but nothing from scratch.

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

I can't recall having ever walked out of a theater.  I haven't been watching many movies at all recently, but I believe that the last at home movie I didn't finish was Star Wars Episode 7.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, Corsair said:

It's a very long time since I've been to a cinema.  I don't think I ever walked out of one mid-movie.

Even on TV it's extremely rare for me to start watching a film and not finish it.  I want to know how it ends, regardless of how bad it is.

There is one notable exception that springs to mind -- a film I have tried to watch on TV on two occasions and not been able to bring myself to finish it either time.  That film is Eraserhead.

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Corsair said:

I would have walked out of Star Wars – Attack of the Clones, except we watched it at home on video. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7