Getting to know you, May 2021

Quizzle for May 29: Do you ever wear a sports team jersey or hat?

Quizzle for May 30: If you are at a game of that team's, and they are getting stomped, do you stay til the bitter end or leave early?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 30: If you are at a game of that team's, and they are getting stomped, do you stay til the bitter end or leave early?

I have a couple t-shirts with local sports team logos that I wear.  Both were promotional items.  Wearing a sports team shirt to the hardware store is like wearing a Reaper shirt to the con. It lets you blend into the herd.

I don't go to games, but if I am watching tv or listening on the radio during the playoffs I stay 'till the bitter end, especially if it is a close game. 

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Not into sportsball, so...  Nope.  Got way better things to spend my money on.  Besides, jerseys are stupid expensive, I can build several full outfits with the same amount of money.

44 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Last time I was at a sportsball game I was contractually obligated to be there until a little while after it was over.  Why was I there despite not really caring about sportsball?  Funny how when you're part of the first aid crew you stick around to the end, no matter what ::P:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Corsair said:

While I do cheer for the local sports teams, I don't really purchase the merchandise. If I do go to a game, it's to stay until the end.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Jersey No. Hat No. I do have one item (T-shirt) that mentions an NFL team. 

I rarely wear team Reaper stuff. 

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I have only been to three events that might qualify. (Major League US sportsball franchises, games attended in person.)

In chronological order:

1) Baseball game, MLB, don’t even remember who won, stayed until the end. 

2) Football game, NFL, don’t remember for sure who won, went with a group, our seats were the cheapest seats in the house. 

Guys!  they were at one of the corner sections past the goal posts AND as far from the side lines as possible. They were in the TOP row. The highest seats. If we turned around we could see into the parking lots. The architects had left a gap between the top row and the roof (for ventilation ?? :wacko: ??) and this let the wind in. It was a cold, bitter, windy, wintry day. We were all wearing parka jackets and passing around a pair of binoculars to try and see what was happening on the field. 

At some point in the second half we started upgrading our seats by moving down into seats that had been abandoned when others left early. We moved 2-3 times. If I had to guess the home team lost? At least it got warmer the further down we went. I think we stuck it out. 

3) Baseball game, MLB, watched from a corporate owned suite on the third base line), the home team won (walk off home run executed by Rafael Palmeiro), the adjacent suite was filled with  Palmeiro’s extended family (who went nuts), stayed until the end. 

Sept 8, 2011. That was one of the last games played that month. I forget how long it took Pro-sports to start playing games again.  (Note the date)

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Nope, and ... never been to a game. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 29:I occasionally wear my Braves cap & the Marble Falls Mustangs tee shirt (local high school) although not necessarily at the same time.

May 30: The last Braves game I went to was in July of '05. They lost to the Mets. I stayed until the end: re, it ain't over til it's over.

• Like 8
7 hours ago, Corsair said:

While I don't own any official team jerseys (as mentioned, those are expensive) I have a number of hats and t-shirts.

I rarely attend games.  For those that I have attended I can't recall having left early.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Corsair said:

I don't follow any sports teams.

Hence, I don't attend games.

I visited a few Kickboxing matches in the past and some other Martial Arts competitions, that's it.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have never owned or worn a sports team item in my entire life, save maybe for that snow hat when I was 7 that had the Montreal Habs team logo on it, because my mother made me.

To this day, I still have a great dislike of the industry surrounding pro sports.

The last time I assisted a sports game, one of my nephews was playing it, and they were under 10. At that age, pretty much every player on both teams are bad. There is entertainment value into seeing how bad they are, yet full of friendly fun.

I stayed until the end, because I'm a supportive uncle like that (and also one of the drivers).

• Like 6

29: Generally, no. That stuff is ridiculously expensive. 

Also, not to go and get all dark and everything, but I've traveled enough and had enough encounters with humanity that I try not to advertise the fact that I'm not a local. I haven't lived in the same state as the teams I support in over 30 years.

30: If I go to a game, it's more than likely to be Hockey, so I'm staying 'till the end. I've seen a few games change direction in the last 8-10 minutes. If there's absolutely no conceivable way for the score to change (15 to 0, forex) then I may leave early.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Corsair said:

The only sports I closely follow are motorsports.  I have ball caps from a number of F1 teams but don't usually wear them (especially if they are signed).  I usually wear the event hats (still wearing my 2019 Montreal F1 hat...someday we'll get to go backm hopefully before my hat wears out...). And I have a bunch of sponsor supplied ball caps from Canadian Superbike events.  Car and bike racing don't generally do jerseys but I have a larger number of motorsports related t-shirts.

As far as other sports, my wife has a ball cap for the local Major Junior (I think that's the right level) hockey team.

If I go to a car or bike race, I'm marshaling, so I'm there long after the race ends (and get there long before it starts).  I don't normally attend races I'm not marshaling. Being out of the loop makes things....boring.  
If we go to a local hockey game, we stay until the end, regardless of the score.

We normally don't attend any of those sports played with balls.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Corsair said:

29: no. the last time I had one was the giants jacket I had in middle school

30: it has been a long time since I could afford going to a game in person, a situation I do not expect to change

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 7
10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Does T-shirt count? I have two 2016 NBA T-shirts (Cavs) that I wear.  I also have a hat with chief Wahoo (Cleveland Indians).  I will continue to wear that cap when that name is not in the papers.  They will be that unless they change the name to the Cleveland Sockalexis. (The reason they named it the Indians)

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Not jerseys, but I have an exceptionally high number of t-shirts supporting the local college's football and basketball teams.

To the death! I paid good money for these tickets!

• Like 6