Getting to know you, May 2021

Quizzle for May 29: Do you ever wear a sports team jersey or hat?

Quizzle for May 30: If you are at a game of that team's, and they are getting stomped, do you stay til the bitter end or leave early?

I  have a University of Kansas (KU)  hat.  it and a Oklahoma feed store hat (inherited) are my only baseball hats. 

I wear the KU hat during the basketball tournament in March,  then like my interest in sports, it gets put away after the first week of April. 

2. I stay to the end of the game,  even if im just watching it on TV, possibly yelling the whole time.  if my team is winning by 25, then I might wander off.  

- KU lost their 2nd round tournament game by 34 pts  this year,  I yelled myself horse at the TV. 

i had them picked to lose that round, just not that badly. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 30: If you are at a game of that team's, and they are getting stomped, do you stay til the bitter end or leave early?

I never do.

And I stay if and only if it's entertaining. I've walked out of games my team was winning because I was bored.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have a Team Canada sweatshirt. I love that thing. It's from when Greece hosted the Olympics. 

I only ever go to sporting events (that aren't whitewater) because I'm working first aid at them. I have to stay until the bitter, bitter end. Usually I'm helping put chairs away. It's not all bad. One year I got like twenty free lucky steamed buns at Chinese New Year. I was like Oprah at work the next day: you get a bun, and you get a bun...

9 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I have never owned or worn a sports team item in my entire life, save maybe for that snow hat when I was 7 that had the Montreal Habs team logo on it, because my mother made me.

It could be worse. It could've been a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

It could be worse. It could've been a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey. 

I grew up near Quebec City in the days where the Nordiques were the local NHL team, and the split between the classic Habs fans, and the "newer" Nordiques fans was a lively one. The Maple Leafs weren't even on the radar (Boston and Buffalo were the regular rivals).

• Like 6
18 hours ago, Corsair said:

All the time. I've got various Oregon Ducks logos & I've got a Trailblazer & Saints ones as well. I'm debating on getting a Kraken cap as well, as I think my time as a Blues fan is slowly coming to end & figured support the closer more local team. I do need to get a Portland Winterhawk hat with the alternate logo on it, as I don't care for the "Blackhawk" (NHL) logo.

Since I rarely ever get to go to my favorite teams (living in the middle of nowhere sometimes does suck), I'm gonna stay to the very end.

• Like 6
On 5/29/2021 at 12:40 AM, Corsair said:

First question: Yes to both. I've got Reds Jerseys with Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan's numbers. And a bunch of T shirts with other players numbers. I'm also a bald guy who wears a lot of ball caps. So I've got hats from a variety of different sports franchises.

Second question: I stay until the end, even if my team is losing. Something fun could still happen and I'd hate to miss it. 

• Like 7
On 5/29/2021 at 12:40 AM, Corsair said:

I am a stay to the end kind of guy.  I do not go very often to games though.  The most in a row were the 1976 playoff run of the Cavs were Boston was handed the win by the refs.  The Cavs were down their starting center and an aging Nate Thurmond stepped up and helped to win against Washington and a should have won against Boston.

• Like 5

Quizzle for May 31: Today is Memorial Day in the USA, honoring those who have died for our country. Do you have a family tradition for this day in whatever country you live in?

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 31: Today is Memorial Day in the USA, honoring those who have died for our country. Do you have a family tradition for this day in whatever country you live in?

Tomorrow's another Monday here in Canada, so no tradition for such other than curse the fact I'm supposed to turn an alarm on again. 

Remembrance Day on the other hand, there's a few things.  But not this upcoming Monday. 

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, Corsair said:

No family, no traditions. 

As it has rained on nearly every Memorial Day since I started keeping track in the 80's, I don't plan anything for outdoors.   I usually paint binge on long weekends.  This year is no exception.  (It's raining, and I'm painting)

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, Corsair said:

No, not really. I tend to prefer to spend holidays like that one quietly. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

We had Victoria day last Monday. As Whitewulfe said, we have Remembrance Day on Nov. 11 over here.

• Like 6

Holidays, what are those?  Currently working,  so no traditions here.

Best thing about federal Holidays is I get paid extra. ^_^

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 31: Today is Memorial Day in the USA, honoring those who have died for our country.

It was originally May 30. But its meaning and significance was somewhat blunted by an act of Congress (1971) that redefined it to the last Monday of May ensuring that (for some folk) it created a three-day weekend. 

It is best not to dig too deeply for the original origins of this holidayEven who exactly did it first or started it is a matter of debate. 

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

Do you have a family tradition for this day in whatever country you live in?

I don’t believe I have ever had a job that celebrated the full list of bank holidays. When I was a kid, I think the same was true of my Dad: Just 4th July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day.

No chance of a family tradition, on this day, to get going in my case.

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

....we have Remembrance Day on Nov. 11 over here.

The US has that one as well. But by a Different Name.

May and November, different months, because in the US: Different Wars. 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Corsair said:

This Canadian will celebrate by having a normal Monday where he notices Wall Street isn't updating any numbers. @WhiteWulfe already covered the other reasons.

Curiously, I was able to relax and get more done this weekend than during my previous three day holiday weekend a week ago.

P.S. Also, we're already May 31st? This month went by fast!

• Like 7