Getting to know you, May 2021

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 31: Today is Memorial Day in the USA, honoring those who have died for our country. Do you have a family tradition for this day in whatever country you live in?

None, but we will have our Independence day this June 12, we usually celebrate during that day and stuff but we will probably be quiet this time due to pandemic.

• Like 7
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 31: Today is Memorial Day in the USA, honoring those who have died for our country. Do you have a family tradition for this day in whatever country you live in?

Another Canadian, so currently celebrating my morning team meeting :down:

I did watch the Indy 500 yesterday, which was back to its normal running on Memorial Day weekend. My normal tradition would be to watch it after a full weekend at our track for bikes or cars, but unfortunately we're still a month or more away from the track being allowed to open, so instead I got to watch it almost live.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Corsair said:

We did but the restrictions have stopped it.  We would have a cookout for all the family.  Now it is only for my sister's family.  Also our city has it's biggest parade for this.  It normally ends at the cemetery where they have speeches and raise a flag for most of the wars we fought and died in.  For some reason they skip the Mexican-American War.  They then fire a 21 gun salute,  The Revolutionary War reenactors then go to the grave a a revolutionary War soldier and fire a salute to him.  I always watch since he is my 4th great grandfather.  I did not grow up in this city but moved here because of the nice, quiet views.  I then found out that my relative had his grave here.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Corsair said:

It's just a regular old Bank Holiday over here (at least in the English part of the UK). Never had a family tradition for any of the Bank Holidays, always just treated them as any other day.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Corsair said:

3 hours ago, TGP said:

May and November, different months, because in the US: Different Wars. 

Not exactly. Perhaps bad phraseology...

November 11th, Veteran's Day in the US is to thank those of us who spent time in uniform.

Memorial Day is to honor the sacrifice and thank the families of those who died while in uniform. 

The only tradition I have is spending a little bit of time trying to explain the difference between the 2 holidays to those well meaning folks that don't understand it without coming off like a jerk.

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Corsair said:

We have Remembrance Day on May 5th, sadly the same date my Mother passed away in 2007.

We always watch the memorial service on TV, abide by the two minutes of silence that goes with that.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Corsair said:

Someone typically drives around to all the family graves and gives them a good cleaning and maybe leaves some flowers on some of them. Some of those graves are for people who were in the military, some aren't. It just seems like a good time to do some general remembering of our family history. This year my folks are doing it. 

• Like 6
On 5/30/2021 at 10:57 PM, Corsair said:

Quizzle for May 31: . . . . Do you have a family tradition for this day in whatever country you live in?

If I had had one, it would have gotten rained out.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:
20 hours ago, TGP said:

May and November, different months, because in the US: Different Wars. 

Not exactly. Perhaps bad phraseology...

If this is too political or something you can snip it.

Memorial Day, the one in May, got started right after The American Civil War. All initial observances had in mind the 600K+ who died in that one.

Armistice Day, Nov. 11th, later renamed to Veteran's Day, commemorated the day the shooting stopped and the First World War, aka The Great War, ended. My grandfather was on a train, packed in a boxcar, on a wretched little French railroad (his description; I wasn't there) somewhere in France between Le Havre and the front on the 11th of November 1918. He was single and had yet to meet my grandmother. We were at war when he boarded but peace had broken out when he disembarked.

I am sticking with: two different wars, two different months.

There has been some repurposing and renaming since.

16 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

November 11th, Veteran's Day in the US is to thank those of us who spent time in uniform.

Memorial Day is to honor the sacrifice and thank the families of those who died while in uniform. 

This -is- the current official story.

• Like 5
On 5/31/2021 at 8:55 AM, Chaoswolf said:

And Armed Forces Day (3rd Saturday in may) for those currently serving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1