Historical minis and games?

SaintRigger

I'm just curious... who here plays historical miniatures games (or just paints and collects historical minis).

If so, what eras and why?

I personally love sci-fi, historicals and fantasy (probably in that order)

As far as historicals go, I've really been getting into WWII in the 10, 20 and 28mm scales. I also have started in on some 30mm Civil War Figures (want to paint up a union skirmishing force for giggles). I also will start with 15mm American War of Independance (red-coats).

I have a huge interest in ancients too, and have some 15mm and 28mm romans, and think I'll slowly be working on some 15mm greeks - most likely spartans. Then they can all fight my 15mm skeletons. ;)

I also play Napoleonics and English Civil War with the lads, but I don't have any models.... yet. (15mm nappies and 28mm ECW)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes!

I have a history degree, so playing historicals is only a natural extension of that.

I mostly play medievals (late 11th C/12th C as well as 1300-1500, all 28mm), though I might do a Bronze Age Greek army, since I've always liked the look.

Just a few minutes ago I placed a sample order for some 10mm WWII. I'm also a model builder and I concentrate in this period, but so far have been unsatisfied with the quality and accuracy of what I've seen (15mm OG and Quality Casting). 28mm is fun to paint but too large for the type of games I want to play.

I sometimes dabble in 20mm plastics, which I intend to use for cons and showing off historical games (much less of a blow if someone walks off with a stand). Doing Republican Romans vs Carthaginians (classic face-up). Still need some decent Gauls though...

Dunno how up on historicals you are, but for 15mm Greeks check out Xyston (ex I-kore IIRC). Almost look like 28's!

Damon.

It was the Xyston models that made me want to go greek. (heh) They are beautiful.

What 10mm WWII stuff do you do? I've been painting up some Minifigs tanks and grunts (it's partially what got me into CAV.. I got a few CAV tanks, then Frosch ran me through a game and I was hooked) The CAVS just seem like a natural extension to tanks for me, and I was never really into big mechs. The Minifigs tanks are OK, not amazing. Great for gaming, however, not so amazing for dioramas and stuff - but definately not bad. The Flames or War models look decent.

I like the 28mm WWII stuff because I like to play a 1:1 skirmish level game with about 10-30 models on a side - maybe some armor.

It's always seemed like there some bad-blood between fantasy/sci fi players and historical gamers and I never really understood it (although some historical gamers I know are quite stuck in their ways)

As far as I can tell, being on the non-historical side, it's from a difference in mindsets. Historicals seem much more about getting it historically right, and refighting battles. Fantasy/Sci-fi games have nothing to recreate, and are much more "I wanna smack something down" and are more open to the "What if?"

I would love to get into historical war gaming, but don't even know where to begin. The eras that are of the most interest to me are The Great War (WWI) and the War of 1812. Does anyone even make miniatures for these eras?

WWII naval conflict is also of great interest to me.

I play Napoleonic (rulesets - Napoleons Battles, Volley and Bayonet, Piquet "Les Grognards", Grand Armee... Prussians and British... usually Prussian), The Sword and the Flame (Zulu war), and have recently collected a Flames of War WW2 Soviet Army.

I have heard good things about CAV and Warlord though, I may give them a try.

Mindsets interesting. I must have a split personality ::D:

I play American Civil War in 15mm because I love the period. ACW is in many ways the first modern war. If the rest of the world had really been paying attention they would have averted a lot of disasters that occurred in WWI.

I play Napoleonics in 15mm. I have both British and Austrian armies. Again because it represents an era when how wars were fought changed dramaticly.

Still on the 15mm side is my WWII, because there is nothing like watching a sweeping assault by German panzers or American Shermans accompanied by infantry. Again another period that saw a huge change in the way battles were fought.

Stepping up in size to 25-28mm is Warhammer Ancient Armies where I get to take my Vikings on lucrative raids.

So those are my four main periods. On the larger side (25-28mm) I play warhammer fantasy because there is nothing that looks so much like a rock as a unit of heavily armored dwarfs.

My current game is Wargods of Aegyptus. Crocodile Games who managed to create a terrific tactical system combined with truly awesome miniatures (Chris Fitzpatrick is the main man with help from Ben Siens, and Todd Harris) and I can field a good force for right around $100.

Mordheim fills out my current desire for a fantasy skirmish game. I'll be adding Warlord to the mix, already painting up some dwarfs for that. Although based on the generic cards from the pdf I'm fielding a lot more miniatures than I thought I would.

I have yet to find a set of SF rules that I like.

I would love to get into historical war gaming, but don't even know where to begin. The eras that are of the most interest to me are The Great War (WWI) and the War of 1812. Does anyone even make miniatures for these eras?

WWII naval conflict is also of great interest to me.

Minifigs makes a line of 15mm WWI figures as do a couple of other companies. War of 1812 is the Napoleonic period, so British are easy, US forces are a different matter. I'm not sure of any one doing War of 1812 US but I'm sure some one has.

WWII Naval is pretty easy to get into as well. GHQ makes a great line of ships and I would recommend General Quarters II for a good ruleset.

The Bachelor - They sure do! Renegade has a great line of WWI figures. They are pretty affordable.. only problem is they are on the biggish side (about 30mm) so they might not match figures from another line. There are also tons of War of 1812 models (just do a web-search for War of 1812 wargame)

Reaper Matt - MmMMmMm colonials. :) I'd like to get some FoW german forces... or american, not quite sure which. Thought it might be fun to model up my grandfather's unit.... the british Desert Rats set has me interested too.... not sure where to go.

CAV is a blast! I had a ton of fun playing so far, and this is from a guy who up until now didn't like mech -type vehicles. I figured... "Ok, lets check the rules out, I want to play a 10mm sci-fi game that has grunts and tanks and reaper has some nice figures" - but I wanted more of a skirmish level - and I'm hooked.

If Warlord is just as cool, then I think I've found my fantasy skirmish set of rules to play around with. :)

Wow, those Renegade models are great. I'm a little disappointed they don't have any Americans though (what can I say? I've got an Amero-centric view of world history.).

I’ve seen FoW at one of our FLGS. I’ve been looking at picking it up, but was worried I wouldn’t have anyone to play it against.

To answer the question I bought a few samples from Pendraken 10mm. They're cheaper than Minifigs. I bought them sight-unseen, so I didn't order much (a Sherman, Stuart and M3 H/T, plus a PzIVH, SdKfz.251D and a Panther). Perhaps I'll post a reaction once I get them. I'm also looking at the Perrin minis range, though the pic I saw of an M5 Stuart is GROSSLY inaccurate!

Yes, if you're going to play historical games, you should try to be historically accurate. Since I play both sides of the field, I think I have a unique perspective. It seems like the fantasy gamers don't want to feel restricted with "historically accurate" paint schemes, or otherwise think historical figures are boring. I wonder how many of them play Warhammer think Empire or Bretonnians to be boring (respectively, Italian wars Germans and Hundred years War Anglo-french). I use some of the citadel (2nd and 1st edition) Bretonnians in my HYW army. Of course I think this complaint is based more on an ignorance of history than anything...

That being said, there are plenty of historical gamers that like to play SF games, like Stargrunt, etc. I know I like Heavy Gear for the reason that it feels "realistic" and plausable for mecha combat.

As for playing historicals, I usually reccommend building 2 armies instead of 1, so that you can rope your friends into it, and perhaps get them into historical gaming. So if you do WWII buy Germans and Americans (what I'm doing, specifically for the period between 6-44 to 5-45). At the very least you have 2 armies to play with. Besides, I think there's a lot of "latant" historical gamers that just don't know what's out there...

Damon.