Kane's GURPS Traveller PbP

Marcus seeing Crystal and Joe hang back, smiles at them and walks back over to their table, 

“You guys must be wondering as to why you were picked.”, he grabs a chair from the next table over “ I can tell from your bags you just arrived on this rock.  Long story short, my brother is one of the big wigs over at Luxor Luxory Liners. The Black Hole is not doing so hot, He came to me about this promo and when someone swiped their cred stick here they were entered into the drawing. As this was a first run, kind of a test, we had a limited time to pick the winners. You two were the last to swipe your sticks in the time frame. I only ask for one favor, We need a statement from both of you saying how much you enjoyed the meal, drinks, what have you. It does not have to be long, heck just say you enjoyed the ‘atmosphere’. When you get back if you need a place to stay, or need a job, I am sure I can help out. "

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crystal glances at what Joes wrote and acknowledges it with the barest of nods, enough she hopes he'll realize, but probably not so much anyone else would pay it much heed. Then, with a chuckle, she says out loud, in a loud, clear, slightly sing-song soprano that practically demands to be heard, "Don't you worry, mate, I'm sure I can give them all the speech they want and then some."

As Marcus approaches, she puts on a broad smile, and as hes speaks, she just rolls with being a super agreeable blonde. Wondering about the pick? Enthusiastic nod! New here? Enthusiastic nod! So it really is a cross-promotion. Enthusiastic nod! Weird, none-too-random drawing. Enthusiastic nod! Terms and conditions apply, right, time to talk about that.

With one more enthusiastic nod, Crystal starts, again in that slightly sing-song tone, "Why certainly, Mister Von Liechtenstein, no problem at all. After all, I was so happy with the wonderfully friendly service and really impressed with how they go an extra mile to make sure your throat never runs dry!" She pauses, a finger thoughtfully tapping her lips for a moment, then adds, in a more somber tone and lower voice, more for Marcus's ears than the full audience, "Hmm, that sounded a bit too much like this is just a watering hole, didn't it? I do have a few minutes to think of something better while you set up a little awards ceremony to entertain the guests, right?" She casually waves a hand in the direction of the Black Hole's stage. "Will there be a band?"

Joe will simply stand after Crystal poses to breath and Shakes Marcus hand concentrating and again almost singing 'thank you, that would be very welcome'  then not so cleanly w-where can my B-bag b-be senr'

“Why Mr. Scavenge you may just take them with you. As soon as you go to the back and get your ticket, we will all go to the berth and board the Star of Luxor. She should be all ready to go once we get there.” Marcus wanders toward the stage door. You notice all of the rest of the winners have gone through.

Well, that was quite a non-reaction from Mr. Von Liechtenstein. Did she play the role of the enthusiastic dumb blonde too well, or is this entire charade with the not-so-random draw really as transparent a ploy to get some people onto a starship in a hurry as it looks? Why by all the stars though? What she wouldn't give for access to a good intelligence officer getting her the lowdown on this Luxor company about now.

With a mild shrug, Crystal mumbles, "Guess I'll just stick with friendly service line then", and, for lack of immediately obvious viable-seeming alternatives, slowly follows Marcus. If this is some sort of abduction, surely they'll have muscle outside the diner; if it isn't and she does something ostensibly crazy, she'll just wind up in whatever Glisten considers a comfy cell.

Joe shrugs and grabs his bags while quietly flipping off his safety on his pistol but leaving it in the holster.  Picks up all his belongings and follows Crystal considering the day is looking up:  could be a free trip on a luxury liner, could be a romping fight and and daring escape.  Either way, the day just got a lot more interesting than spending the afternoon drinking and hanging out in the temporary pilots quarters!

As you follow Marcus back through the stage door, he says,” Ms. Cooke, we will just need for you to  provide a statement, as my brother already has the actors picked out for the ten winners. We do not want to have someone's face all over the vid and then when they get back they are attacked by some deranged psycho who has developed ‘feelings’ for someone they saw on the vid. I for one do not want my ‘patrons’ harassed in any way.” 

You arrive in a smallish room, made smaller by the fct there are thirteen people in it. The suit behind the desk hands you a few sheets of paper, one is a waiver, basically just says you know space travel is dangerous and you or your next of kin, will not hold the company accountable if you are hurt or killed during the travel…( I could make you make a knowledge roll, but I will tell you outright, it is just the standard waiver you sign for traveling on a cruiser ship.), and the other one has a space provided for you to make a statement.  A short stack rests near him and a couple of the other winners are signing their papers and writing a statement. 

"Err", Crystal starts at the explanation, "the thing is, I am an actress myself. Well, I'm actually a better singer and would love to do music theater, but that's rather beside the point, which is that given I don't currently have a gig, I could actually use all the public infatuation I can get." She pauses a bit, then adds as they enter the room, "Maybe more importantly, do you or your brother plan on screening the material where Imperial Navy personell might see it? Because chances are some of the boys in the subsector might be infatuated enough to remember what I do or do not look like."

Still, she's not about to pass up an opportunity to try and meet a wealthy patron of the arts on that cruise, so she makes a point of snatching a set of papers before she even gets a response. Crystal reads the disclaimer with a slight smirk; it's been a while since she's had any opportunity to actually object going on a jump! After signing, she takes a bit longer to write her statement, occasionally tapping the pen against her lips, ostensibly in thought. She actually just puts down 'I was so happy with the wonderfully friendly service at the Black Hole, and really impressed with how they go an extra mile to make sure your throat never runs dry!', but it seems like a good way to buy some time to glance over the other winners. Do any of them look like they're actually locals, or do all of them seem to be passer-throughs?

Joe Makes sure the forms aren't some kind of theft racket and signs the form giving a general statement praising the waitstaff and the beer and saying they went beyond his expectations.  When one of the seated actors gets up to put His papers away he quickly slips into the vacated chair and grabs a nap.  Its been a long 30 hours and it's probably going to get longer before he gets to a bunk.

Marcus listens to Crystal, “Well maybe we can find some work for you when you get back, I am always… looking for talent.”

Joe does not get in a big nap. maybe 5 mins. when he is awoken by the marine, “Nap times over buddy. Looks like it is ship time.” 

Everyone is hustled out the door, some with bags, others not.  Instead of heading towards the front door, Marcus leads the group further back into the diners back room. He opens the back door and there is a squad of marines standing outside, scanning the area. You can see a few men down the hall holding people back. Marcus exits the door and heads the other way, goes to the lift and pushe\s the button. The lift doors open, the lift is empty. Marcus and everyone, including the marine squad enter the lift; the lift is not even half full. You feel it go up a few levels before it stops. The doors open and the is a tube shuttle waiting with a marine squad in the area as well. you get in the tube and a while later arrive at the berth of the Star of Luxor. There is a gangway to the ship. She is hugh. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nmis86Q3EgGZjblXUpYDxFaFc45jlfYs?usp=sharing

Feel free to peruse the plans.

Crystal nods at Marcus's words, but sighs inwardly. Return to the biggest crummy rock among a bunch of crummy rocks? Not if she can help it! Luxor's got to need onboard entertainers that can actually pull their weight as space hands in a pinch, and she's so definitely going to try convincing whatever company bigwigs might be on this trip of her own qualities.

She mildly shakes her head as they're being ... sort of secreted away, with a squad of Marines covering their exit, apparently? Certainly seems like a weird way to pull a PR stunt. Somebody should tell Luxor that unless their cruises really blow, they ought to have some faith in prize drawing winners being willing to become bona fide testimonials. Maybe it's a Glisten thing. That would be all the more reason to try and not ever return to that rock.

When they reach the luxury liner's berth, Crystal lets her gaze wander along the ship. She sure is a big one as far a civilian vessels go! Of course, size isn't everything. What she's actually curious about is whether a civilian liner operating at the very fringe of the Imperium is visibly - at a cursory glance, to a somewhat trained eye - armed.

Crystal then tries to locate someone that looks like it might be their job to receive and instruct the lucky winners - or failing that, Marcus - and approaches them, "Excuse me, what is the further schedule for today? I'd really like to know if I have time to freshen up, and if so, where. This all seems a bit hectic today, so I'm not quite sure just yet where my quarters for the cruise might be."

You make your way down the gangway and have to move to one side as a group of techs file down the other side disembarking. They seem like they are upset… from the small snatches of conversions that you can make out, most is whispered, is something about how some people are resistant to change and something about an old codger. As you enter the ship’s airlock (See the deck 2 mod01 file) you are greeted by several stewards and the captain.

“Ah, these must be our prize winners! Welcome aboard, I am Captain Sara MacLeod. If you would please follow me, I will show you to your cabins. I am very happy to have you on board. The Star of Luxor is being renovated to be the most state of the art cruise ship.” she chuckles a little bit. We are still upgrading the grand old girl. We just upgraded the nav computer just this morning. As soon as this trip is over we will upgrade the jump engines to allow us to make jump 6. Some of the food stalls are not fully operational and as such are closed during this trip. ”

The stewards move towards you and offer to take your luggage and follow you as you follow the captain. The captain leads to your rooms (red line from air lock to the lounge area on deck 01 MOD 01). As she leads you towards your rooms, she tells you about the ship and its history. You can tell from her enthusiasm and her knowledge of the ship, she has a passion for the ship and its crew. You can tell that the ship is old, but is in the process of being refurbished and modernized. As you come to the waterfall area it starts up, “The waterfall's pump is new and seems to be working properly. When LLL, bought the Star, the waterfall did not work and the water was … well let us just say you would not want to drink from it.”

When you arrive at the lounge area, she tells you, “You may pick a state room to stay in, only the two bigger ones at the ends are off limits. The stewards will show you how to key the rooms to your palms. Each room door will only open for those who's palm is registered to that room. So, only you, the chief of security and myself, will have access to your room and each enter is logged in our master computer. The chief of security and myself will be the only able to access passengers rooms in the event of an emergency. Yes, there will be tours available after we have made out first jump into hyperspace. I hope you all have a great cruise. Now if you will excuse me, I have to go over the final prep for launch.” with that she turns and heads away.

[Any questions posed to your steward should be send to me in a PM, as it will between you and someone else and the party is not present.]

When the caption mentions the brand new nav computer retro fit, Joe visibly twitches, when she gets to the part about the jump 6 drive, he visibly winces.

After the captain leaves Joe selects a stateroom next to one of the escape pods and suggests crystal do the same, visibly trying to be calm to get the words out with as little stuttering as possible. 

"T-thats a lot-t of c-c-cutting edge tech-tech... stuff to p-pack in a very old hull.  It s-sounds l-l-llike t-this is more of a s-shakedown c-cruise than a p-pleasure t-trip!"  He looks at his new companion  "Looks like we w-will wind up s-somewhere in the universe, but it w-will b-be a while b-bfore we see this p-port of c-call again!"

Crystal quirks a brow at the mention of a just-installed nav computer. Maybe they'll be mis-visiting some strange new world dozens of parsec, then. While her inner xenophyle briefly ponders how cool would winding up in the Darrian Confederation would be, her more sensible Navy-trained side tries to gauge the other winners' reactions. Those showing concern, but not panic, might be sensibleand level-headed enough to be useful should push comes to shove, after all.

Captain MacLeod certainly seems enthusiastic about cutting edge jump technology aboard what appears to be a dated hull, so Crystal offers her the occasional mildly enthusiastic nod in response. She can't help but wonder if the Marines who covered their 'escape' from the Black Hole will be along for the trip, though; after all, a misjump from this fringe of the Imperium could easily deposit them deep in hostile territory.

While Crystal obviously registered the thing about the new nav and drive, she doesn't appear particularly concerned, and when Joe brings it up, she nods at and responds in a theatrical cadence, “To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." With a shrug and a wink, in a more everyday tone, she adds, "Hey, maybe the surf will be good. But yes, playing it safe-ish seems prudent."

Hmm, seems the 10 if them are supposed to pick one of the 10 doubles near this particular lounge. Given the civilians... the not recently discharged civilians... will likely fight over the four with a view of the stars, Crystal will - with just enough drama to underscore how gracious that is - settle for one one of the interior ones, preferably in the aft part of the section. Safer in case of a hull breach, anyways.