Kane's GURPS Traveller PbP

The steward follows you to the door of your room. He/She places his hand on a rectangle that is on the door which now glows a soft blue, “This is Steward(they say their name), configure for passenger, (says your name). Please place your hand on the rectangle and say your name.” After you do the door opens and a computer voice says, “Welcome, Passenger (your name).”

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for the folks reading here is the Itinerary for the cruise:

Itinerary

062-1120 Leaving Glisten

076-1120 Arrive in Overnale system for refueling

085-1120 Arrive in the Egypt system for refueling

099-1120 Arrive in the Meractor system

106 - 1120 Arrive in Overnale system for refueling

114 -1120 Arrive in the Egypt system for refueling

122 - 1120 Arrive in the Glisten system.

Launch Day.

Boarding 12-14:45

Launching 15:00

Captain's Dance 17:00- 22:00

Captain's Dinner 18:00- 22:00

Lights Out 0:00

63-1120 – 122- 1120

08:00 – 17:00 Leisure time.

Captain's Dance 17:00- 22:00

Captain's Dinner 18:00- 22:00

Lights Out 0:00

After Crystal is instructed on how to use the palm sensor, as she enters her room, other nearby passengers might pick up on her clear voice asking in a chirpy tone, "I know this is a little... daring... but is there any way I could proverbially give another passenger my key so they can visit me?"

His reply is drowned out by the door closing. If anyone is watching, they'll notice it takes a bit before he re-emerges, so the blonde probably chewed his ears off with question about everything and possibly even the literal bath stall sink.

Joe on the other hand, listens to the minimum spiel and then waits patiently for them to leave.

he re-emerges to go explore the ship when he has a chance to change into one of his nicer kits (dress merchant marine) and takes the opportunity to wander the ship to find the places they will throw him out of....

14:00

Over the PA system,”This is the captain. Will all non-essential personnel please depart the ship as soon as possible. We are at one hour till we cast off moorings. That is all.” For those out and about, techs start packing up their gear and head towards the gangway to disembark.

14:45

“This is the captain, in 15, we will break moorings and make way towards the jump point for our first jump. Which will take us approximately 76 min. At which point the crew will finalize their jump calculations and 5 minutes before the jump, we will dim the lights in the Vilani tradition. Please find a seat with a view for the jump. If you experience any discomfort, please make sure to see one of our medical staff after the jump to Hyperspace.”

14:50

“This is the captain. Please, all non essential personnel to operations, please make your way to the gangway now. The is the last call.”

14:55

“This is the captain. We will be ready to cast off moorings in 5. Please find a seat to enjoy the view of Glisten as we depart.

14:59

“ATTENTION ALL HANDS! MAKE READY TO CAST OFF........(15:00) CAST OFF.”

The ship makes a slight lurch as the moorings are cast off and the ship uses thursters to maneuver away from the station. As soon as the ship clears the station the PA system crackles to life, “Glisten Control, this is the Star of Luxor. We have cleared the moorings and are proceeding to the jump point.” it is the captains voice.

“Star of Luxor, this is Glisten Control. We read you as heading away from the station on the correct heading. Have a great trip.”... the PA system turns off.

76 mins later

“Attention all hand and passengers, we have arrived at the jump point and the navigator is making the final calculations for the jump now. In approximately 10 minutes we will dim the lights till we are in hyperspace. Please find a comfortable seat and enjoy the jump to hyperspace.”

11 minutes later the lights dim. You could still make your way down a hall or see the stairs, if you needed too.

You feel the slightly uncomfortable lurch as the ship makes it's way into Hyperspace. As the ship fully enter hyperspace the light go back up to their day time setting.

A few moments past 16:00, Crystal emerged from her stateroom and made her way to main bar area.

With all the grime of the day washed off and looking well-rested, Crystal might not be immediately recognizable to casual acquaintances who have only seen her in casual blouse and slacks, as she is now decked out in a well-tailored Imperial Navy junior officer's dress uniform, complete with the obligatory Blade, the insignia.

Crystal practically made a beeline for the central bar, out to score whatever kind of complimentary drink there might be for  the occasion. After the lights dimmed in preparation for the jump, she watches the people, looking for passengers that might be interesting to chat up. Some non-human sophonts or someone from a visually distinct variant race would be cool, but she'd settle for anyone showing the doe-eyed wonder of someone on their first interstellar voyage. They could use some assurance, be a receptive audience for some tales of Navy life, and might even pay for a drink or two.

You are in the stern bar/lounge the faint glow of Hyperspace helps light up the bar/ lounge, obviously the lighting has been turned down for this effect. The only people present other than Crystal and Joe are a very bored looking bartender cleaning glasses and a robot in a crate. As you make your way up to the bar and tell the bartender your drink order, he starts to set down the glass in a pile of other glasses, when the robot speaks up, “You only made 59 swipes not 60. The glass is not clean.” The Bartender hesitates just briefly, but finishes putting the glass in the pile. He gets your drink order and sets it on the bar if front of you. He picks up a glass to start cleaning it, when the robot says, “It was the third glass on the second row back that you were cleaning, not the second glass back on the third row.” The bartender stops, rolls his eyes...and starts mumbling under his breathe. “ I can still hear you. I am honestly just trying to help you. It is not my fault that the technicians did not finish packing me up before they left. If you had just listen to my suggestion to place the clean glasses back to front and from right to left, you would not have picked up the wrong glass. It is not my fault you did not want to listen to my suggestions.....” The robot stops talking as the bartender whirls towards his and hurls the glass at the robot, which catches it, “I can't take this abuse anymore.” and storms off towards the bow.

Well, some party... Crystal thinks and sighs. Either they actually are on a shakedown cruise with a skeleton passenger compliment, or the passengers on this cruise are slightly more boring than an Imperial Navy senior staff meeting. A lot more boring, actually, considering senior officers aren't above keeping up their own morale once the boring part of business has concluded. She waves at Joe with a slight nod.

She considers relieving the bartender of his boredom, at least, but halts when she realizes he's having an exchange with a semi-packed robotic overlord that could be straight out of some cheap novella about out-of-control AI. If Luxor Luxury Lines actually want to utilize that thing as a service robot, they really need to tweak its programming before it manages to send human staff on a boticidal rampage.

Crystal tilts her head slightly, momentarily raises a finger, then quickly moves to intercept the bartender, practically dancing into his path with a broad smile, saying in that melodious voice of hers, "Terribly sorry to be bothering you, mate, but you sound like you could use a drink about now, and given the readily apparent dearth of customers at the moment, surely senior staff shouldn't mind your joining me and my friend" - she points at Joe - "for one. Plus, with any luck, that overly bossy thing over there" - she points at the bot - "is at least correctly programmed to shut the hell up when customers request a little peace and quiet as they enjoy their drinks, which I'm sure you'll agree sounds like a splendid idea. Also, to be quite frank, I'm dying to hear from an expert like you whether this" - she points at the bar space very much not occupied by any crowd - "is what the crowd always looks like when a luxury liner makes its first jump of the trip, because honestly, the place seems about as lively as the next derelict hulk."

The Bartender stops when Crystal gets in front of him. He takes several deep breaths as Crystal talks. He visible calms down, “Thank you for the offer, but we are not allowed to drink while on duty and while yes, there is only you and your friend here, I still have to make a living to support my family., so I need this job. I can talk with you over at the bar, so I can be doing my job if the boss shows up.” He moves back to the bar area.

“My apologize, I was only trying to help. You try being in storage for 20 years. I guess it does not matter as I am headed to the scrap heap this time for sure. I will behave myself.” says the robot.

The barman continues his talk, “This is the Star's first cruise under the Luxor name. The CEO of Luxor is on board to make sure things go smoothly. He has spent a lot of money slicking the old girl up. She was head to the scrapyard as her last owners said she was cursed.”

“To that I can attest to. She has has a very colorful history.”

“There are only a few other 'passengers' on board, they are Luxor employees who needed a vacation. Mr. Van Horton is a pretty good from what I hear. This is my first week on the job. If you want to know more about the Star, the tin can here can probably fill you in, he came with the Star.”

“ I do not like being called a tin can. Mostly people call me You dumb fragging robot. I would prefer to be called Wrench.”

“Well, Wrench, I have heard stories about you and pretty much all of them include you being mean to everyone and generally not doing what you are told to do.”

“Well most of them are rooted in truth. So much so, that the techs who started boxing me up, told me they have been given instructions that since I 'could not learn to shuffle cards, he is go to be scraped', so my days are numbered to be sure.”

[NOTE: I put the robot in Italics, since there was some back and forth on this']

Crystal smiles widely as the calming barkeeper starts talking, and nods in pronounced approval at his refusing to drink on duty. She follows him to the bar and listens to what both man and machine have to say with interest, her eyes widening at the mention of the CEO on board. Talk about a guy to try and make an impression on, entertainer for the high passage VIP crowd aboard a luxury liner, that wouldn't be half bad a gig! Before she can drift off into daydreams about wowing the rich and famous, the conversation turns to the robot's designation, and Crystal quirks a brow at the thing's stated preference.

She sits on one of the bar stools and says to the bartender, "Okay, sorry about suggesting a drink, mate, I really should've known better. Now myself, I really could use a drink, and would love to say just hit me with the best bottle of bubbly you've got, but I rather fear that would completely break my budget. Besides, might be a bit early, what with dinner coming up, so would you just kindly suggest an aperitif?"

Crystal then turns to the robot and ask, "So...  Wrench. As in the proverbial one being tossed into things? Seems a bit of an unfortunate designation to go with on an allegedly cursed ship, particularly if you want to dodge the scrap heap. But anyways, can you give me the run-down on that colorful history? An executive summary, please, I really don't want to wind up missing dinner."

“My dear, I like to fix things, even though I was an exploratory bot when I was first built, I have been salvaged and rebuilt so many times...so, Wrench fits.” He falls silent for about 30 seconds. “But that analogue fits too, as since I came on board the “The Star” has been called the Mistress of Misjumps. Since I have come on board, there has not been a journey in which she has not misjumped at least once... now usually it not off by much. There was one trip in which she misjumped but jumped into the final system. There there was the one in which we had to make the trip in 6 jumps and she misjumped each time.... it took us 6 months to get where we were heading. Yes they replace varies parts of the jump drive, some of the parts ended up being replaced twice, by the end it was a whole new computer. This new computer is a whole completely new computer and after this trip she will get her new J drives, so the whole system will be brand new. The cause of the misjumps were never the drives, they were either human error or the computer 'misreading' the numbers.”

Crystal slightly shakes her head at the tale, then comments, "Hmm, the 'Mistress of Misjumps'? Might have been easier to just market her as that to thrill-seekers, but I guess that wouldn't exactly be a high-paying crowd." She looks thoughtful for a moment, then adds with a mild sigh, "Hmm, you said you like to fix things. Out of curiosity, how often did you work on the old nav computer?" Surely she had to be wrong about this - but what if LLL had changed the computer while keeping the robot-bodied proverbial wrench?