So I still have more then half of a drive I only use for file storage on but we all know with stls & other files it quickly fills up. I'm thinking about getting a 3rd HD for my newer Dell computer. I got the computer in 2019. Last time I bought a hard drive to throw into a computer, SSDs weren't even a thing. Anything I really need to know about em right now?

It'll probably be used for stl files mainly.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An SSD isn't ideal for storing files that will be accessed only periodically, they're better for working drives, such as the system drive. Magnetic platters are still better for mass storage.

• Like 3

For internal drives it's more of a cost efficiency thing at this point. SSDs are as good or better than HDDs at this point for that kind of storage, as long as you get one that's made for data storage. If you go with an external drive though HDDs are are safer. SSDs need to get powered on someone regularly to prevent the data from degrading.

• Like 1
On 5/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, cmorse said:

For internal drives it's more of a cost efficiency thing at this point. SSDs are as good or better than HDDs at this point for that kind of storage, as long as you get one that's made for data storage. If you go with an external drive though HDDs are are safer. SSDs need to get powered on someone regularly to prevent the data from degrading.

My luck with externals is terrible. While they are older drives now, I've gotten 2 of them & both of them failed.

I think I've decided either on a Samsung SSD 2TB or possibly a WD HDD 4TB. My system is currently a OS on a SSD & data on a HDD. The price is about the same, so I may just go with the HDD.

3 hours ago, haldir said:

My luck with externals is terrible. While they are older drives now, I've gotten 2 of them & both of them failed.

I think I've decided either on a Samsung SSD 2TB or possibly a WD HDD 4TB. My system is currently a OS on a SSD & data on a HDD. The price is about the same, so I may just go with the HDD.

Same price? That sounds like either an amazing price for the SSD or a terrible price for the HDD. Amazon has the 4TB WD Blue for $75, I wouldn't bother with something like a black just for storage. Samsung SSD tend to be somewhere around $200-300 for 2TB.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, haldir said:

I’m assuming you’re backing your data up somewhere else and following the 3-2-1 data backup strategy?

I haven’t had a drive fail on me yet, but it’s only a matter of time, so I back everything up to my NAS, with another copy kept on a HDD at my in-laws plus a copy of all our personal photos and video backed up to OneDrive.

I've read too many horror stories of people losing all their digital data and personal photos and video due to their only hard drive corrupting.

• Like 1

I just got the WD 5TB external drive as a third copy backup and storage for all the patreon/KS STLs.  My 1TB SSD hard drive was filling up.  My primary backup is OneDrive. I also use DropBox as backup and share space for my client files.

The new external drive is great.  I can't get over how fast the USB-C connection is; I can actually sculpt from files on it.  The only down side is that OneDrive won't work on USB drives, so I still have to keep my main file space on the the main SSD. 

I got this one on Amazon: WD 5TB My Passport Ultra Blue Portable External Hard Drive HDD, USB-C and USB 3.1 Compatible - WDBFTM0050BBL-WESN

drive.jpg.49681220c329e73fadddcc00b43d35fe.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

I’m assuming you’re backing your data up somewhere else and following the 3-2-1 data backup strategy?

I haven’t had a drive fail on me yet, but it’s only a matter of time, so I back everything up to my NAS, with another copy kept on a HDD at my in-laws plus a copy of all our personal photos and video backed up to OneDrive.

I've read too many horror stories of people losing all their digital data and personal photos and video due to their only hard drive corrupting.

Yes

Most of my files are in multiple places. I'm just running out of room on a physical drive.

• Like 2

USB drives is... not my recommendation.    

We have paid money for these files, and particularly for those Patreons that don't use MyMinifactory for fulfillment it can be an issue to re-download them if something happens to them. 

And with a typical monthly from most seems to be 5GB+(compressed), storage space will soon become limited...   

I would really advise to look at a NAS solution. 

that's a box with two or more drives, and a network connection.    

All the decent ones will automatically set up a RAID(Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks... 12TB disks aren't inexpensive, but.. )

as long as you install at least 2 drives. 

There are single disk solutions out there, too, but most of them are junk, and you don't get any crash protection at all. 

Mine stands at 8TB capacity right now( 2x 4TB and 1x 12TB HDDs. Smallest disk decides how much can be used), but this summer I will be replacing the 4TBs with 12TB HDDs and end up with approx. 24TB storage.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, TaleSpinner said:

I just got the WD 5TB external drive as a third copy backup and storage for all the patreon/KS STLs.  My 1TB SSD hard drive was filling up.  My primary backup is OneDrive. I also use DropBox as backup and share space for my client files.

The new external drive is great.  I can't get over how fast the USB-C connection is; I can actually sculpt from files on it.  The only down side is that OneDrive won't work on USB drives, so I still have to keep my main file space on the the main SSD. 

I got this one on Amazon: WD 5TB My Passport Ultra Blue Portable External Hard Drive HDD, USB-C and USB 3.1 Compatible - WDBFTM0050BBL-WESN

Does that needs to be plugged in permanently or can you unplug it for a while as well without losing data?

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Does that needs to be plugged in permanently or can you unplug it for a while as well without losing data?

It looks like an HDD so as long as it didn't get damaged somehow it shouldn't lose data due to not being plugged in.

SSDs are the ones that will eventually lose data if not plugged in. How quickly they start losing data depends on the type of SSD and the temp. It it's in the 80-90s the drive could be corrupt inside a month and should be powered on weekly to avoid data loss. If they never leave an air conditioned house they should be powered on at least every 6 months.

• Like 1

Hard drive arrived today!! I ended up getting a WD blue 6TB. That should do me for awhile. My current drives are a SSD with my OS & 2nd HDD drive of 1TB).

• Like 4