Dark Maenad: Fire and Steel

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkmaenad/dark-maenad-fire-and-steel/description

A kickstarter for basically 2 warbands with access to the minis from their first kickstarter as well. 

Interesting part is they are available in 3 formats. 

.STL files, Metal and injection plastic using something called SiOCast. The physical minis are being produced for them by Effincool Miniatures. And the desert girls will be featured in a miniature game produced by some other company. 

The 2 warbands look cool. The black powder girls... look very Empire/landsknechty... and the Cold Steel girls, look very Araby... 

All of the new minis are safe for work, but some of the addons from their last campaign (which i did not include pictures of) have some female frontal nudity. 

I am interested in the SiOCast minis... I saw a review of some 15mm in that material. I only backed a $1... right now. But I like both new warbands and the original one they did... so I will see what i want in the pledge manager. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Creator advised that Effin Cool is still waiting to get their new SiOCast machine, but he will post examples of other company's SiOCast minis in their next update. 

Doing some searching on Google, it looks like its a way to use plastic (actual plastic not resin) with metal molds. The review i saw of the 15mm minis said that they are crisp and good, with some slight flexibility. But also said that mold lines are a bit difficult to remove. So it kind of sounded like something similar to BONES Black material. 

Does anyone here have any experience with it? It looks like it has been around for at least a year, but I will admit that I never heard of it. 

I don't have first-hand experience but a couple of weeks back I chanced across a review of Warlord Games 28mm SiOCast Hussars on Brückenkopf. Mentions they feel weird, have all the excess flash of resin and are about as fun to clean as Bones I plastic (okay, they don't actually mention Bones I, I'm just paraphrasing in Reaper terms here :poke:), look rather mediocre and, well, their conclusion is unflattering, to say the least, roughly translating to:

You need miniatures made of a material that feels like rubber, sometimes fails to capture detail properly, and makes you want to constantly swear during cleaning? Do you furthermore want top pay a fair chunk of money, relative to the quality you're getting? Then these minis are just right for you.

The comments section is savage, too. Several people mentioning the material is absolutely horrible to do conversions on, comparisons to 1980s bargain bin 1/72 toy soldiers and if memory serves correctly, one person actually said they'd rather overpay for stuff out of Nottingham that buy this.

Considering I've been quite pleased with Effincool's metal casts, there's no way I'll risk the SiOCast on these. 

Edited by Arkady
typos
  • Like 2

To be fair, I guess it might be Warlord Games is doing something wrong, but the pics at Brückenkopf do scream 1/72 plastics with resin-level flash in a worst of both worlds kind of way. I'm absolutely not prepared to pay metal prices for that, least of all when I have a pretty good idea how good the metals should turn out.

• Like 2

They posted an image (borrowed from idk, they didn't specify) of what is supposedly a SiOCast model in an update:

bac8fe5b314ec7d4d65ea4f8eb4aefd1_origina

I have to say it looks a far cry above the dross Brückenkopf got from Warlord Games, a much cleaner cast with better detail quality. It's an astounding difference.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

They posted an image (borrowed from idk, they didn't specify) of what is supposedly a SiOCast model in an update:

bac8fe5b314ec7d4d65ea4f8eb4aefd1_origina

I have to say it looks a far cry above the dross Brückenkopf got from Warlord Games, a much cleaner cast with better detail quality. It's an astounding difference.

It is one of the miniatures Siocast sends out as an example. Effincool did not send me this one but I have a couple more that they sent and they all have this level of detail. I also own a set of the Last Sword Empire Knights made on a Siocast and the detail is quite good. It is worth pointing out that the casting material Siocast sends out is not the only thing that would work in the machine, What's the saying, "garbage in, garbage out?" If someone wanted to save money and go with a different casting medium who knows what would happen.

Sorry I took this on my phone just now and I am not a great photographer but this is one of the samples Siocast sent me. I believe it is also a Last Sword figure and the quality is on par with the ones I got directly from them. 

Elf.jpg

• Like 2

I am halfway tempted by the STL pledge level.  Only halfway because if I count the number of minis I actually want vs. the total package the price per figure isn't quite as good.

We're gearing up for Mordheim, and I kind of like the idea of a female Reiklander warband this time.

The desert ladies would be good if and when I run Al Qadim. More if than when, but each little bit makes it more likely.

Those desert swordsladies would give me an opportunity to practice painting translucent cloth effects.

• Like 1

The STLs are outselling the physical models by, like, a lot. ::o:

I guess 3D printers aren't the future of the hobby any more. They are now the present.

Also, a lot more skin than I expected, but I am okay with that.

The King would be PERFECT for the one in Grump's Darkjammer game. The one that married my halfling alley witch. ::):

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I guess 3D printers aren't the future of the hobby any more. They are now the present.

I was more than a bit surprised by that as well. I added the STL's as an afterthought, boy am I glad I did. I am glad you liked them. I will be making a lot more figures in the Desert Girls style as part of the Desert Lords faction for Tuomas Pirinen's new game, but I will continue to develop the European style figures as well just because I love them. 

9 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I think two contributing factors are mail systems are still rather messed up (everything moves slowly), and since a lot of people are at home they're able to put the time and effort into the printing. 

That and STL's are effectively available the instant they're released, versus impatiently waiting for a shipping notice, and then a package at some point. 

• Like 2