So I'm looking at getting a 2nd FDM printer.  My poor old Ender 3 is starting to show its age, and I'm looking at a printing a lot of terrain for Star Wars Legion, so a larger build platform would be nice.

Anyone currently running anything with a 300mm x 300mm or larger build platform?

I like the looks of the CR-10 SMART, but haven't had much luck finding it for sale except straight from Creality....

• Like 1

Would that printer, Creality did with anther KS work for your needs? The belt driven one.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, haldir said:

Would that printer, Creality did with anther KS work for your needs? The belt driven one.

The 3DPrintMill  ?   I think that would be overkill for me.  It looks really cool but I think it would be far more useful in the cosplay/props realm.  Plus I don't think I really have the room for a few feet of print hanging off the front of it.

That said, now that I've watched a couple of videos, it does look really cool......hmmm......

• Like 3

yeah, the print mill I see as having 2 very distinct uses.  Long items that fit within the width of the bed (the cosplay community as you mentioned) or printing a whole bunch of the same thing over and over, (like terrain tiles.)

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

The 3DPrintMill  ?   I think that would be overkill for me.  It looks really cool but I think it would be far more useful in the cosplay/props realm.  Plus I don't think I really have the room for a few feet of print hanging off the front of it.

That said, now that I've watched a couple of videos, it does look really cool......hmmm......

I think in the long run the 200x170x~ build area would be more limiting than the more standard large formats like 350x350x400. Especially since the higher quality settings seem to be more limited. There are a few things it would do better, but unless those are the majority of your planned uses it's an easy pass.

• Like 1

So right now my choices for a CR-10 are either the V3 with direct drive, or the Smart, which has a self leveling bed but is back to bowden tube.

I'm sure there are other makes and models but I haven't had time to look at them yet (darned work being busy when I have IMPORTANT stuff to do....).

I'd love to have a Prusa, but I want something bigger than that....

I figure a foot or so per side is fine, I don't need (or have room or budget for) any of the huge ones....

Been doing some more research.  Two more on the list:

Artillery Sidewinder X1

Sovol SV03

I've chatted with someone who has both (and runs quite a print farm) and he's been happy with both.

Sovol actually has stock in Canada, which right now is a big deal, a lot of what I've looked at has "shipping from China May 20th" type indications.....

Posted (edited)

Well, never being one to ponder things for too long, I just placed an order.

I went with the Sovol SV03.  Direct drive, bl touch, dual Z-aixis screws, build area is 350x350x400 mm.

And is actually in stock on Canada. Oh, and free shipping too.....

I might need a bigger table for it.....

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, just to follow up, my SV03 arrived the other day.  And yes, I needed a bigger table.

20210515_IMG_1954.jpg.383b9b79667140e31d61583a857a6f91.jpg

This is what I've been using while I've been trying to get the Ender up and running.  Its an computer old desk the kids used that's been out in the garage for a few years.

It has wheels so I can move it to actually get at the crap behind it, but is solid enough to not move when the printer is running and gives me some extra storage. But definitely not big enough for two Enders, let alone adding something big.

So I built it a new top today.  Luckily I had plywood left over from building shelving in the garage past year, so it didn't cost me more than the printer to build (wood prices have gone nuts here).

20210515_IMG_1957.thumb.jpg.9f9535ee67eb32cd68688cbb29886b44.jpg

Nothing fancy but it is very solid and should be big enough.  Building it wore out my back enough that actually assembling the SV03 will wait for tomorrow.

• Like 1